Author Topic: Quick question please *UPDATE*  (Read 4826 times)

Offline Neon

• Donator
Quick question please *UPDATE*
« on: October 13, 2011, 10:38:51 PM »
Could someone please tell me: is it true that if you clip a young puppy, does that prevent the coat from ever being able to be hand stripped?  Thanks

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Sara750S

• Toby
Re: Quick question please
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 09:17:28 AM »
Thats certainly the advice I read and so Toby being hand stipped   :D

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 09:22:11 AM »
Being clipped once shouldn't necessarily stop the pup from ever being handstripped, its not advisable but dogs have been hanstripped following a one off clip ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Pam501

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 10:58:33 AM »
Hi there - I've not had a spaniel before so not entirely sure what handstripping is and why??  Any help please? 

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 11:03:02 AM »
I was told when I got selby from a very reputable judge that he had to be hand stripped or his coat would go curly so I have him hand stripped, don't want to take a chance .

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 12:21:10 PM »
Thanks all.  Toby has been clipped once at 21 weeks and I would love to hand strip for that sleek, smooth look.  It's difficult getting him to accommodate though!!

Pam, hand stripping is pinching out the dead undercoat in order to achieve a sleek, shiny look and needs to be done if you are considering showing.  At the top of the grooming forum, there are lots of threads giving advice.

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 12:28:34 PM »
I was told when I got selby from a very reputable judge that he had to be hand stripped or his coat would go curly so I have him hand stripped, don't want to take a chance .
That is the advice yes, but just because a pup has been clipped once won't make him un handstrippable ;) If an older dog has been clipped several times then yes it would be very difficult if not impossible.
Neon, I would attempt trying to handstrip him but it is hard work esp if Toby is not that co operative. As you are not showing then I really think you will be able to achieve the look you are after with a coat king and thinning scissors. There is a theory that the coat king will eventually make the coat curl, but I personally use it on my Black with good results ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 12:36:40 PM »
Thanks again Jo, will definately get a coat king and see how it goes.  Toby hates it when I try and hand strip so don't want to put him off it.  If Coat King can keep us going for a bit I can try hand stripping just occasionally.  He is so woolly and I know that blacks can look gorgeous when hand stripped,  I just want to have him looking something like a cocker, not a hairy mammoth LOL.

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 01:19:36 PM »
He is still young , This is my fave picture of my wooly mammoth Belle at 5 mths :luv: :lol2:

But she looked like this when she was 12 mths :luv:

The fluff will come out I promise ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 01:50:03 PM »
I am not very experienced with grooming but isn't an elastic band threaded through a comb a good way of getting the dead hair out without damaging the rest of the coat?

Millie

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 02:04:42 PM »
Yes it is and can be very effective but Dark blues and Blacks have notoriously dense hair and I found the comb and elastic band method effective with Monty whos coat is much finer, with Belle it worked somewhat but it was a case of not really getting anywhere. But yes lots of Colers swear by it ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 05:10:29 PM »
Jo. Belle is gorgeous and that first picture of her looks like Toby except he doesn't have the "mop" on top LOL.  Have you got any piccies of her back so I can see how the coat king has left it.  That would be great thanks.   PS - Jo, what size Coat King do you recommend?

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 07:12:10 AM »
No problem will take an up to date one of her later for you ;)
 PS - Jo, what size Coat King do you recommend? PS - Jo, what size Coat King do you recommend?
Posted on: Yesterday at 02:04:42 PM Posted by: bajoleth
Thats the million Dollar Question ??? :005: They are numbered in relevance to the number of teeth they have, I personally have a number 12 as that is what was recommended to me by her Breeder, its what they used on their retired Show Dogs, but I think the recommended one is a 26 or a 20 for a Cocker. Not sure which would get the most hair out to be honest, I may invest in a 20 myself  for Monty as his hair is finer? But its a 12 I use and have had good results with ;)
See here for blade sizes

http://www.diamondedgeltd.com/acatalog/Stripping_Knives_and_Coat_Kings.html
I bought mine from ebay but on looking this morning they don't look any cheaper :-\ Have a search online just make sure its a Mars and you will be fine ;) I think its worth its weight in gold :lol2:
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 09:55:31 AM »
I have the 20 here and bought it recently as was struggling with a patch on Quinn (where his back meets his tail - so technical  :005:).    Most of his puppy coat I got out at home.   

It did scare me using it though incase I ruined his coat so have used it very lightly in some places.     

Indie was coat kinged at 7.5 months and she had a very very hairy coat because I didn't strip her out at all - she was my first cocker and I didn't realise you could do it yourself  :005: , she went to a groomer for her first hair cut, she looked a right mop when she went and was totally transformed.     Here's the effect of the coat king and her puppy coat.   

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=42490.30

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 12:27:57 PM »
Jo, thanks for that info, I'll do a bit of research on which one I need, as long as it's not a fine one apparently.  Looking forward to seeing pics of Belle, thanks so much X

Jeanette, "Miss Slaphead" as you called her  :005: :005: looks gorgeous.  If you've achieved that effect on her coat with a coat king then I'm happy to use one.