Author Topic: 8 weeks too young for treats?  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Evadee

8 weeks too young for treats?
« on: November 08, 2011, 09:53:13 PM »
Wasn't sure whether to post this here or on the puppy board  :doh:

Jake is just over 8 weeks old, wondering when will be ok to start giving him the odd bit of pilchard cake (home made with flour and egg) and plain roast chicken?  Just wanted something to really grab his interest for first bits of training  ;)

I'm thinking it might be better to wait til he is a bit older, say 12 weeks but just wondered what everyone thought and has done with their pups..

Offline Flickabella1

Re: 8 weeks too young for treats?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 10:55:39 PM »
I gave beau treats almost straight away- mainly chicken  :D

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 11:12:29 PM »
I may be wrong but I think you only have to be careful with pet shop treats - alot of them are not o be given to pups under 3 months
My Mummy's name is Charlene
My name is Diesel

Diesel DOB:16-04-11

Offline poppy

• Donator
  • Betsy b 17/05/2011
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 11:15:42 PM »
I may be wrong but I think you only have to be careful with pet shop treats - alot of them are not o be given to pups under 3 months

I was going to say the same thing.  A lot of them say "not for puppies under 4 months".

Just check the wrapper, if you are going down the shop bought treats.

I gave Betsy chopped up pieces of chicken for her first treats at 12 weeks, when she started puppy classes.

HTH

Love Lizzie and Betsy xxx
Lots of love ... Lizzie
Micka 17/03/1996-12/07/2011 Sleep my darling baby

Offline Evadee

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 06:53:20 AM »
Thanks everyone.  Yeah I specifically meant not shop bought (I should have said) as in pilchard cake and plain chicken.  Gave him a tiny cube of pilchard cake with his bedtime biccies (which is actually his kibble) late last night and he loved the stinky pilchard cake of course  ;)

Doing things different with this pup Jake, think we were a bit naive with Tia last year, only going to give him his kibble and be very careful about what else I give him.  There are so many tempting puppy treats on the market which are actually full of rubbish.

He can move on to the CSJ treats along with pilchard cake and chicken when he's older.

Found the shop bought treats were never exciting enough for Tia for training anyhow  :005:  I remember giving her liver as the trainer suggested but I think it's too rich when they are young.

Offline karen488

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 07:13:20 AM »
I made it with mackerel in Tom sauce yest. Bingley went bonkers! Am using it for recall. No ill effects here.

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 07:45:20 AM »
I used Alfie's puppy kibble as rewards a lot of the time (still do with his adult kibble). There's not a big selection of shop treats for very young pups, particularly chews, which they can really do with with all the puppy chewing, so it sounds like a good idea to make your own as you were suggesting.

Offline Evadee

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 08:20:10 AM »
I've got a puppy nylabone for chewing but he does prefer Tia's adult chicken one as it's much rougher and not smooth   >:(

He loves the cardboard tubes from inside loo rolls and kitchen rolls at the moment, as well as all of Tia's toys  :005:  the towels and bedding....

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 09:44:56 PM »
I've got a puppy nylabone for chewing but he does prefer Tia's adult chicken one as it's much rougher and not smooth   >:(

He loves the cardboard tubes from inside loo rolls and kitchen rolls at the moment, as well as all of Tia's toys  :005:  the towels and bedding....

I kept a basketful of junk for Alfie- I found that the cardboard packaging from DVD's/CD's from Amazon/Play withstood a lot of chewing, also bottles after Frijj milk shakes (lids tightly on) and boxes+lids after Lurpak etc. As soon as any bits started coming off they were replaced but it kept him entertained for long spells.