Author Topic: Poo!  (Read 943 times)

Offline Adi

Poo!
« on: February 23, 2012, 05:17:37 PM »
My 6 year old cocker has always eaten complete dry food mixed with tinned food without any problems. However, around 9 months ago she started to have rather loose poo and after a while we decided to change her tinned food to Chappie, on the vets advice. That was fine for a while and then her poo was loose again.  Currently she is on complete dry food mixed with chicken mince and that seems to be not too bad however, the first part of her poo seems fine and the last part is more sloppy. Why would be this be so? When I try to introduce any tinned food - usually a couple of spoonfuls per meal - it results in loose poo again. I'm running out of tins to try and need to know why half her poo is much looser than the first half and how to get her back on track with tinned food!

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
Re: Poo!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 03:20:08 PM »
When her poo's start ok and then go sloppy are you out on a walk?!  Mine get like this on walks, I call them excitey poo's!  The running around like mad things seems to make them loose!  Paisley always squeezes about 3 poo's out during each walk and they get looser and looser, but the ones she does in the garden are perfectly formed!

Is there any mucus to the loose poo?!  My great dane had diareha (can never spell that!) that was mucusy, he'd have it for a day, 24hours I'd starve him and then introduce scrambled egg and his normal food and he'd be fine for a while and then for no apparant reason he'd get diareha again, we got a fecal sample done at the vets (not cheap!) but it turned out to be campylobactor bacterial infection so he needed antibiotics to clear it up.  Your situation doesn't sound as bad as that but if you can't figure out the cause it might be worth getting a sample tested to rule out some sort of gastro intestinal problem.  My vet was also very keen to make sure he was up to date with wormings, so that could also be something to double check with your girly.
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!

Offline Sheepscheeks

• Have to keep running or me feets will freeze!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 04:21:27 PM »
Freddie is like that. He is on Burns pork & potato in the morning and Natural Instinct chicken in the evening. I think some dogs just can't tolerate the processed nature of kibble. We have managed to get Freddie ok on 50/50 raw/kibble. For over a year he was on 100% raw but it isn't very convenient on a 2 week caravan holiday!
Paula & Freddie x

Offline maddy74

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 06:35:53 PM »
Willow had sloppy stools throughout her puppyhood on and off and the vet in the end said they thought it could be colitis, she had mucussy poops and sometimes there would be blood present. She was then put on the Royal canin sensitivity control kibble and that seemed to do the trick.

The vet did say to me that it is normal for dogs especially spaniels to get adrenalin poops on walk and the more excited they get the sloppier the stools. A few on here have said the same of their dogs. As long as you dog has energy, maintaining weight and there is no blood or mucus present I would try not to worry  :D

Offline DinkyDewi

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 09:57:52 AM »
Does she need to have tinned food at all? Could she not have a complete dry mix?

I've always found tinned food to be too rich and produce runny tums! We have tins of chappie in the house just in case anyone shows signs of being a little off colour and then they only get a small amount to settle their tums.

In regards to what it could be i'd get her wormed properly (not the spot on stuff). My collie was like this and we found he had a pretty bad worm infection that the spot on couldn't shift. One treatment of Drontal and he was pretty fixed :)

Both of mine get a slighty runny poo if they've been out for a long run but nothing like before.