Author Topic: Crate Or Playpen Or Stair Gate?  (Read 4010 times)

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
Crate Or Playpen Or Stair Gate?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2005, 01:29:42 PM »
We have a puppy pen for Bella but only use it at night for her to sleep in (in our bedroom but it means she goes clean through the night and also doesn't try to chase the cats who also sleep in there!).

Tried a baby gate but Bella didn't like it at all - she is fine to be left in the kitchen on her own with the door shut but cries like crazy if she's in there with the baby gate on - it seems to make it worse for her if she can see us walking around but can't get to us but if she can't see us she just settles down and goes to sleep.

The puppy pen at night has worked well for her - she has been clean through the night (8 hours) for a few weeks now, so much so that we are gradually increasing the space she has and hoping to actually let her just sleep under the bed with no pen very soon (she is quite good with the cats now as well so not worried about that anymore!).

Like others have said - whatever works for you. Bella is usually in the same room as us although does take herself out to the carpet in the hall to play with her toys on her own. Her bed gets moved in the daytime into the kitchen and she quickly got into the routine of this - it doesn't seem to bother her at all!

Good luck with your pup!

Claire
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline betastorm

• Site Member
    • http://photobucket.com/albums/v208/betastorm/
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2005, 02:39:01 PM »
Only mistake I made was buying a baby gate, rather than a doggie gate, Lily got stuck between the bars a few times before she was too big to attempt it again....got myself into a bit of a panic as she got through head and shoulders, but couldn't reverse back, so it took me and OH prizing open the bars, gently easing Lily out backwards........lol.
[snapback]108547[/snapback]

Molly still can get through a baby gate at 14 weeks.  I know that for a fact still as she did it today.  I'm surprised as she really is quite a chubby little thing and she must have really squashed herself through. :blink:

We use the crate and although it is a bit of a pain, being so big, she really is happy in it and will go off to get in herself when she wants some peace. :)
Wendy and little Molly

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2005, 02:42:13 PM »
We are picking Ruby up in two weeks and have decided on a stair gate for the kitchen door. There has never been a door there so need something. We want to confine her to the kitchen at night so we can mop up any puddles quickly and so that when we are out we are not unsuspectingly walking into anything! (Hall is also ceramic tiled) The stairs are open so no where to attach a gate. I can see the good points with a crate, I just don't feel I could shut her in there. I know that if she howls at night I am going to have a very hard job ignoring her. I will want to go down and give her a cuddle and bring her to bed! OH isn't hearing any of that. No where except the lounge is big enough for a play pen without it being in the way. I guess it's what suits and that's what we are going to try.

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2005, 03:33:53 PM »
I haven't got a very big kitchen either but it doesn't matter because the playpen was only ever in the kitchen at night when I was in bed  ;) You can also make it in various shapes to suit, very versatile. Must admit I'm campaigning the playpen as I think they are brilliant, I wouldn't use anything else  ;)