Author Topic: Just an idea for a chew/treat  (Read 966 times)

Offline abkb

• Donator
Just an idea for a chew/treat
« on: April 12, 2012, 04:23:40 PM »
Hi all,

I've been doing this with Molly for a while now and thought I'd mention it.  We feed Molly kibble but every now and again I buy a couple of cow hooves (either empty or with stuff in which Molly has previously eaten) and then fill them with wet food pouches (usually the james wellbeloved puppy ones from the range/PAH).  One pouch fills 2 or 3 hooves.

I then freeze them.

Then when Molly is driving me crazy I give her one, still frozen, and it takes her a good 30 mins to get through it all.

Just an idea!
Karen, owned by Molly B the blue roan show cocker, D.O.B 02/08/2011, and Finley the orange and white show cocker, D.O.B 19/01/2013

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
Re: Just an idea for a chew/treat
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 05:01:45 PM »
I read somewhere that cow hooves are dangerous because they splinter easily so I've always avoided them. This sounds like a good idea though, so can anyone advise re their safety?

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 05:38:48 PM »
I was just going to ask almost the same thing  :D

Which was do dogs try and eat the hooves? as i have never given Ruby one before.
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline Juno

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 08:36:35 PM »
Re splintering: Juno has been gnawing on the same couple of hooves since Christmas and all she's ever managed to do is wear the edges down.  She's never bitten a chunk off and neither has splintered.

PS she also LOVES frozen, stuffed hooves!

Offline louisedi

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 08:53:57 PM »
mine love Yummy bones, they last for agess. get them from amazane

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 08:35:52 AM »
I've bought some filled hooves a couple of times now and mine have never managed managed to chew much off them they were more interested in the filling and when that had gone I removed them from their baskets. I actually threw them away but filling them up again is a very good idea. :D
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline abkb

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 08:38:54 AM »
Same as Juno, Molly doesn't 'eat' the hoof she just eats the filling and sometimes has a little knaw at the sides of it.  She's not able to break it off or anything, so I've never had any issues with splintering.  I found it was helpful to freeze it when she was teething, the little knaw she had seemed to soothe her teeth.

I decided to fill them with wet food after I found the same thing Karen- Molly would eat the filling and then leave the hoof, so I was determined to make use of it!

And just to add- we have about 3 hooves in the house, which I keep filling again and again, so no need to buy new hooves every time  :D
Karen, owned by Molly B the blue roan show cocker, D.O.B 02/08/2011, and Finley the orange and white show cocker, D.O.B 19/01/2013

Offline annie1

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 09:28:53 AM »
Mine have had hooves and I've never had a problem. They regularly get trimmings from horses hooves after the  farrier has been.

I'm told that the bone of the hoof is softer than proper bone so might be harder for it to splinter, but I'm not sure how true that is.