Author Topic: Apricot/red Roan?  (Read 1252 times)

Offline ~Jilly~

• Site Member
Apricot/red Roan?
« on: March 21, 2005, 10:46:31 AM »
I have just had an email from a breeder who says she knows of some apricot/red roan puppies that are available and that she'll put me in contact with the breeder if I am interested.

Has anyone got an apricot or red roan? Anyone got a picture? I don't think I've even heard of these colours.

I did originally say I was looking for an orange or lemon roan and this is the information she came back with.

What's the difference between orange and apricot?

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Apricot/red Roan?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 10:56:04 AM »
Are you sure they are English cockers and not American?

If they are def English - then are you sure of the credentials of the breeder. Bizarre colours are often quoted by less professional breeders to attract unsuspecting buyers into thinking they are getting something special when in fact it's probably just weak pigmentation as a result of an inappropriate pairing.

It doesn't necessarily mean the puppies will make bad pets - but probably not good show candidates.

Do your homework about the breeder and the dam and sire - that should tell you all you need to know.

hth
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Apricot/red Roan?
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 11:04:56 AM »
I do know of a well-known commercial breeder who is now registering their puppies with exotic names like "apricot" roan - this colour is not a recognised colour in Cockers & is being used presumably for marketing reasons (it can't be ignorance in this case although it might be with new breeders who don't understand Cocker colours) I would steer clear of anyone who uses the wrong terms to describe Cocker colours - they either don't know what they are doing or they don't care! There is no difference between apricot & orange - orange is the correct name for the colour, apricot isn't ;) Jilly, if you want to PM me, I'll tell you the name of the commercial breeder I know of who is registering puppies with these fancy names - it may be the same one you have been told about ;)

Jane
Jane

Offline ~Jilly~

• Site Member
Apricot/red Roan?
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 11:10:52 AM »
Are you sure they are English cockers and not American?

If they are def English - then are you sure of the credentials of the breeder. Bizarre colours are often quoted by less professional breeders to attract unsuspecting buyers into thinking they are getting something special when in fact it's probably just weak pigmentation as a result of an inappropriate pairing.

It doesn't necessarily mean the puppies will make bad pets - but probably not good show candidates.

Do your homework about the breeder and the dam and sire - that should tell you all you need to know.

hth
[snapback]108874[/snapback]

Well I got the details of the breeder that I contacted originally from the Kennel Club, she is on the accredited breeder scheme.

As far as I know they should be English cockers.

I don't actually know who the breeder of the 'available' pups is, it is just someone the breeder I contacted knows :unsure: She just emailed to say she doesn't have any available but this other breeder does, she hasn't really given any info, just asked me to give her a phone number if I'm interested.

It didn't 'feel' quite right because of the colours she stated, that's why I thought I'd ask on here because I'm not exactly a cocker expert :huh:

We're going to view a blue roan pup this Saturday and all being well, we'll be going ahead with this one anyway so it's only 'another option'.......

Offline ~Jilly~

• Site Member
Apricot/red Roan?
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005, 11:17:46 AM »
I do know of a well-known commercial breeder who is now registering their puppies with exotic names like "apricot" roan - this colour is not a recognised colour in Cockers & is being used presumably for marketing reasons (it can't be ignorance in this case although it might be with new breeders who don't understand Cocker colours) I would steer clear of anyone who uses the wrong terms to describe Cocker colours - they either don't know what they are doing or they don't care! There is no difference between apricot & orange - orange is the correct name for the colour, apricot isn't ;) Jilly, if you want to PM me, I'll tell you the name of the commercial breeder I know of who is registering puppies with these fancy names - it may be the same one you have been told about ;)

Jane
[snapback]108876[/snapback]

Thanks Jane, I have pm'd you.