Author Topic: ? Natures menu  (Read 1262 times)

Offline janandted

• Donator
? Natures menu
« on: April 30, 2012, 10:10:21 AM »
Mollie is raw fed. We are going to Eire for 5 weeks in May and am told food is very expensive so to stock up  :huh: We are in a motor home and have a small freezer which we would like to stock with 'human' food ,I thought perhaps we could take pouches of nature diet or natures menu for Molly,has any one any advice on which,if any, is best and do they have to be stored in the fridge when UNOPENED? Any comments and advice would be appreciated.

Offline wendyt

Re: ? Natures menu
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 11:32:15 AM »
I started to use NatureDiet for the boys as once opened lasts 48hrs in the fridge. It doesn't have to be kept in the fridge if it is UNOPENED.
Natures menu has to be used the same day as it is opened and again kept in the fridge, but doesn't have to be kept in the fridge if UNOPENED.
Hope this helps.

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 12:15:19 PM »
Maggie used to be on NatureDiet and did fine on it - when we go to my friends place if I run out tho she will quite happily swap to Natures Menu with no side effects.  Again - fine out of the fridge unopened. Just keep it in the fridge once opened. We used to use NatureDiet over three meals so a couple of days in the fridge was ok.
Enjoy Ireland!  :shades: :luv:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 12:22:03 PM »
Both are excellent and can be stored out of the fridge when unopened. I think Nature diet had some issues with split packets so best to double check. I used to use nature diet but switched to Wainrights because Archie prefers it. He has one try a day so it doesn't need to go in the fridge. I put his evening meal in a cool cupboard in a Tupperware box. If it gets hot in the summer then I will fridge it just in case. They do a pouch as well as trays which are half the size so you may only need to open one at a time and not need a fridge at all.

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 01:16:04 PM »
Bingley has naturediet, he loves it. We have started buying it by the case as it works out much cheaper (about 14 pounds for 18 trays), so this may be worth considering if you are going to be away for a while.

I know they did have a problem with blown trays at one point but i think they've resolved that now. As others have said, you have to store in a fridge once it's opened. I would recommend it, we use it as Bingley went off raw a while ago after wolfing down a chicken wing and making himself a bit sicky. It is a good alternative i think. He looks great on it and his (usually sensitive) tummy has been fine.

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 01:26:00 PM »
I bought some packs for Ollie to try ( he is raw fed) as they are convenient for times away from home however he refused to eat them, I would advice not buying a lot until it's been tried.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 02:31:33 PM »
My two love Nature Diet. I started Penny on it for breakfast when she refused to eat Burns. I store it unrefigerated. She has two thirds of a tray per meal so there is often some left and then I store it in the fridge. Been buying it for about three months and in all that time I've had only one tray that was split and the meat had gone off. Mine have a mixture of Burns, Nature Diet and raw bones, although never in the same meal!

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline janandted

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 11:18:28 PM »
Thank you all for your posts........very helpful. I hadn't realised that the pouches are cooked  :doh: Mol has been on raw meat and bones since she was 9wks and it really suits her,I am therefore a little nervous to change  :dunno: I have decided to take a few pouches for emergency use,just incase ii can't get to a butcher or supermarket :-\ otherwise I'll do my best to source her usual meat and bones and pay whatever I have to  :o It's only a few weeks after all  ;)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 10:01:55 AM »
William and Louis are raw fed but I always have a tray or two of Natures Diet and a 400g can or two of Chappie Original for the odd time when I forget to get their raw food out of the freezer.

Louis can eat anything without ill effect but William has a sensitive tum so I have to be careful what I feed him. He's fine on both Nature Diet and Chappie Original. Chappie Original is cheap and cheerful and very bland. I wouldn't want to feed it regularly but it's a very useful standby.