Author Topic: Have I done wrong?  (Read 2534 times)

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
Re: Have I done wrong?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 12:22:19 PM »
I do keep their coats long.  They can look quite shaggy and tubby and someone once remarked on the fact that they look fat.  :o  I know they aren't as when wet, you can really see their shape.  :lug:

Same with Flo (show type), had had a stranger say "oh your mummy doesn't hold back on the food does she"....I know he was being chatty ...and meant no harm, but Flo is not overweight just has a lot of fluffy coat.
Another time a friend said to my sons, obviously you don't help mum with the walking cause Flo is looking porky???? I didnt want to say when she's wet you can see her slenderness because that would seem too reactionary....but really!  I would never say that to anyone about their dog.

Brodie is the exact same, it's even worse at the moment as she's overdue a haircut by over three weeks due to a very nasty ear infection >:D. When she's wet or you run your hands down her, you can see she's not overweight. I keep wanting to tell people we meet that she's not fat, just very hairy :lol2:

My last cocker Barney was cut right down - he had fear aggression and really disliked being brushed, so this was the best option for him and us. Brodie still has feathers and a skirt, but they have to be kept short due to how fast her coat grows. I imagine that if her coat gets worse and becomes unmanageable then I might need to do the same with her. I wouldn't even think of questioning another person's choice in grooming for their dog like that, what a cheek!

x In memory of Barney x