Author Topic: De-frag  (Read 6714 times)

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
De-frag
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2005, 10:40:59 PM »
Thanks Pammy - am feeling nervous about all this now  :unsure:

:) Have run Panda and checked all of computer and no virus's were found.  Just tried Antispy and can't get that to download either  :blink:   Will try again tommorrow, am getting too tired now !  :rolleyes:  :lol:
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
De-frag
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2005, 12:55:33 AM »
Mmmm not sure why you shouldn't be able to download anything?? maybe you haven't got enough disk space left?? Have you got any programs loaded thta you NEVER really use? sometimes it's a good idea to remove things that you only use occasionaly, provided you have the discs of course in case you decide to re-install. It could also be a firewall problem, thats all I can think of I'm afraid.

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
De-frag
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2005, 03:31:28 PM »
:) Thanks Gilly - I turned off the screensaver (as Caroline suggested) and managed to get the de-frag to work yesterday and it does seem a bit quicker today.

:blink: Have decided to be brave and have a go at putting some more memory in and see if that solves the problem.  Did the check on  Crucial, as you suggested Gilly, and have ordered it from them.  

I read in one of the computer mags that you need an antistatic wrist strap when putting in the new memory - is this necessary?

;) Thanks for all your help Gilly x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
De-frag
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2005, 04:43:49 PM »
I didn't have an antistatic wrist wrap, but I think you have to make sure your grounded, if that makes sense, saying that I made sure all power cables were unplugged from the wall first and everything was switched off.
When you get you memory I'll talk you through installing it  ;) It might be worth trying to find the manual that came with your PC, mine has a diagram on how to upgrade the memory so yours might to.

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
De-frag
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2005, 05:41:21 PM »
:) Thanks Gilly - I got the computer manual out yesterday and it explained how to do it, with the diagrams.

Will let you know how it goes !!!  :blink:  :D
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
De-frag
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2005, 06:23:37 PM »
To do a disc cleanup go to start - programs - accessories - system tools - disc cleanup, it will clean out all your temp files, recycle bin etc & should make your system run faster  :)
[snapback]110760[/snapback]

Thanks, I've just done it :)

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
De-frag
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2005, 10:11:25 PM »
:) Thanks Gilly - I got the computer manual out yesterday and it explained how to do it, with the diagrams.

Will let you know how it goes !!!  :blink:  :D
[snapback]111234[/snapback]
FAILED !!  :rolleyes:

Have had my memory for three days now and been putting off having a go  :rolleyes:   finally decided I had to be brave......... found out where I had to put the memory, pushed it into place but could'nt get the white clip on one side to hold, gave it another push and the clip broke !  :blink: Decided to switch on and see if it would work with just one clip holding it and all it did was give out loud bleeps  :blink:

Think I need to call in the experts - oh well I tried !!!  :rolleyes:  :lol:

Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"