Author Topic: Raw Feeding - Mixing different meats  (Read 1351 times)

Offline 7733lily

Raw Feeding - Mixing different meats
« on: July 02, 2012, 03:22:25 PM »
Hi all
I have just started feeding my boys Honeys ready made raw food which come in packs of 500g.
I feed them kibble for breakfast and then one of the four flavours of raw every day, chicken, beef, pork and lamb (some with offal mixed in)
Anyway, as I only feed around 410g of raw between the three of them there is always left overs which I pop in the fridge and then every 3-4 days I mix all the leftovers together to make their meal
Do you think it is ok to mix all these meats together in one meal like I do (as in the wild they would not eat 4 different animals in one sitting) or should I up their raw feed to 500g (therefore no leftovers) a day between them and cut their kibble meal by around 30g each?
I am sure I had read somewhere that mixing proteins can cause seizures  :016:
Has anyone else read this or do you think its fine what I am doing already? (have spoken to Honeys who say it is ok to mix them, but just wanted to see what everyone else thinks)
Oh, if it makes any difference, also feed them a raw chicken wing each at lunchtime
Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: Raw Feeding - Mixing different meats
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 05:04:30 PM »
Can't see any problem mixing as long as it is all raw :dunno:

Coco often has different meat mixed together - eg chicken and tripe mince with liver or kidney added in  ;)

If you are worried about it, you could just buy a couple of flavours of meat and use those - dogs are not so bothered about varying the flavours as we are and as long as they are getting a good mix of meat, bone and offal, they will be absolutely fine  :D
Julie and Watson

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 05:15:11 PM »
Morgan often gets mixed meat. We weigh and bag his food up in meal size portions for the freezer and if, say, a lamb heart is rather small we make the weight up with a bit of liver/kidney/tripe whatever else we happen to have. I don't see any problem in feeding mixed meat.
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 05:30:08 PM »
It won't be a problem to mix the meats together, personally I would increase the Kimble and up the raw, but that's only my preference.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 05:31:42 PM »
I often have a small amount of one type of raw food left over and simply mix it in with whatever raw they're having the next day. The only thing I'd say (and maybe I've misunderstood your post) is that I wouldn't be keen on saving up leftover raw meat for 3-4 days before mixing it and feeding it because the oldest stuff won't be especially fresh by then.

Honeys used to be called Darlings didn't it? I fed it for a while and it's extremely good quality stuff, but I switched to Natural Instinct, which isn't organic but is human grade and is cheaper. It comes in 1kg packs so 1 pack would do your boys 2 days plus roughly enough for 1 meal for one of them the next day?

Offline 7733lily

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 10:05:29 PM »
thanks guys for all your thoughts and advice

thanks ollie nathan's mum, ideally I would like to feed less kibble (eventually none) but a) cannot afford just yet to change purely to raw and b) don't feel enclined to reduce the kibble too much further as do not want them eating one small kibble meal and then a larger raw one, if that makes sense  :huh: wanted to keep it fairly equal if poss but totally agree with feeding more raw, will have to find the money and take the leap to all raw me thinks

thanks elaine e I may do as you suggest and use the leftovers the next day, don't know why I was saving them up really  :dunno: it does say once defrosted use within 3 days, but I know what you mean about it not being as fresh.  Yes, Honeys did used to be Darlings and was recommended as one of the better ones, but it is quite expensive especially for 3 dogs.  I have had a look at Natural Instinct and they do seem a little cheaper so may look at ordering from them next time and it may be easier with them supplying 1kg packs as well.

Thanks again everyone, being new to raw feeding it can be a little daunting not knowing if you are doing things right.  I will continue to mix the different meats, but now the next day instead of saving up 3-4  ;)

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 11:38:50 AM »
I really wouldn't worry about it. I am not sure where all this "don't mix this" and "don't mix that" comes from. Dogs are scavengers and they eat whatever their nose finds and their stomachs don't normally have a problem with it.

My guys get kibble and raw mixed, cooked meat treats etc. and never have any issues with it. It just gets gobbled up and digested as it comes in.  ;)
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 04:35:29 PM »
Cor, had me worried for a bit there, :huh:  I make up selby's meals myself, and he as a mixture of offal and muscle from different animals everyday, plus his bones and raw fish for breakfast I just chop it all up and wheigh it and put it into bags and freeze it.

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 08:47:58 AM »
i also mix Bob meat, as i make my own up
he would have in one meal some lamb mince, some heart, some poultry neck, and a very small amount of
liver, kidney, and at about 10.00am i will give him a chicken wing or a lamb bone

honeys is a very good way to start with raw feeding, until you get use to them having bones
as it all comes made up for you, with the right amount of meat and bone,
cutting down on a lot of time, and all the bone is ground up.