Author Topic: What to feed a fussy eater?  (Read 2020 times)

Offline abkb

• Donator
What to feed a fussy eater?
« on: September 03, 2012, 01:44:02 PM »
Molly is 12 months old and has never been all that interested in her food.  She was on proplan puppy but never really gobbled it up, so a few months ago we moved her onto the adult version, 2 meals a day, which she scoffed at first but soon lost interest in.

Now Molly has barely eaten anything for 3 days.  We have offered her nothing other than her 2 meals of proplan, and she hasn't really touched it.  She is absolutely fine within herself so I don't think she's poorly; if given half the chance she is wanting chews and other treats off us etc, which we haven't given her.  It seems like she's 'holding out' for something better.

I'm toying with the idea of changing her food, but have been reluctant to do so as she's been great on proplan.  BUT I don't want to change her food just for us to have this issue a few months down the line, with her getting fussy about another kibble.

Any ideas?  I'm thinking of giving Barking Heads fusspot a go, but again I don't know whether changing her kibble will make a difference, or whether she is just being a fussy sod and needs to learn that it's her kibble or nothing.  But it's clear she isn't enjoying proplan- you should see the look of disgust she gives us when we put her bowl down!

I don't really want to go down the raw diet or wet food route if I can help it (for various practical reasons, I don't have anything against them if you get me!)
Karen, owned by Molly B the blue roan show cocker, D.O.B 02/08/2011, and Finley the orange and white show cocker, D.O.B 19/01/2013

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
Re: What to feed a fussy eater?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
My fusspot doesn't like kibble, so I gave him a try with the Barking heads fusspot kibble which of course he doesn't like - incidentally ebay sell sample bags - its worth spending £2 to see if she likes it or not rather than buying a huge bag.

Have you tried adding a bit of salmon oil to her food? it has 50/50 success with Charlie.

I know you've said you don't want to - we have had some success with Wainwrights (wet trays)...however it's only some success...however I am trialing raw at the moment and I have to say I'm really pleased with how Charlie is getting on with it. He's wolfing it down, helping me get it out the freezer and leaving a clean bowl. You "could" try it - Pets at Home sell it, I've been using theirs as a trial as it's easy to get hold of an inexpensive? Just cut the block up, defrost in tupperware and shove in bowl :). My aim was to try and get one meal of wet dog food (or kibble in your case) and one meal of raw a day - I am not sure I want to make a 100% switch to raw purely for holidays...but honestly seeing how much he seems to enjoy it, I'm certainly considering a switch.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 02:03:55 PM »
I agree with Charlie's mum. Some dogs just don't like kibble. Archie is another one. The only one he ever showed interest in was applaws - my mums dog is fed on it and Archie had a little nibble at the sack  :shades: The danger is of course that You could try all sorts of different kibbles and end up just creating an even more fussy pooch. Archie is on wainrights trays and it is easy to buy, store and serve. He loved it from the first and still adores it. If you don't want to go fully wet fed you could always try mixing a little as a topper?

Offline fenby

• Donator
  • Harvey
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 02:16:45 PM »
Same here with Harvey, he never liked his kibble and I was always having to add cheese etc to it to try and entice him- and even then he was reluctant. He is now on the trays of nature diet and he LOVES it, everything gone in a few secs  :005:. I find it very convenient and order it online where it is cheaper.

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 02:23:40 PM »
I think kibble gets a bit boring for some fussy beggers...like our Holly  :shades:

Holly has JWB duck & rice kibble with a bit of wainwright tray mixed in and it goes down in seconds.

Offline flower1

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 02:33:54 PM »
Toby was fussy when he was a pup and a little bit sensitive. His problem is he gets bored of it.
He's always been on royal canin but you can tell he thinks it's a bit boring but I trust his breeders judgement so we go with it. We tried some wet dog food but he turned his nose up at anything with gravy  :o he's had salmon oil on it and he liked that but sometimes, like on holiday or days out, it isn't always practical, nor is adding chicken/sardines. Especially if someone in your house doesn't reduce his amount of kibble accordingly *cough*dad*cough*  :005: what we usually do is mix 2 kibbles to keep it interesting and it works a treat. Had some free samples from crufts so he's had canin and laughing dog (gone off that now though), vets kitchen, harringtons salmon and potato (loved it) and lathams. He's on a lathams/canin combo at the moment and it seems to suit him- good poops. It can be a bit of a juggle making sure the daily amounts are right depending on the brand. We tried a little bit of the different kibbles at different times to make sure he was ok on it first - though now he's older he's typically bomb proof.

Every now and then Toby reverts to puppy and doesn't like to eat. If I give him a bit by hand he ends up munching it up pretty quick. Apparently food is better if he thinks it's mine! But there's danger of it becoming a habit.
Lucy (28.5.1997-11.05.2010) & Toby (6.2.2010) :luv:

Offline abkb

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 02:51:07 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one with a fussy devil  :005: thanks for all your advice!

Forgot to say that yes we've tried salmon oil on her kibble (liked it for a while and then turned her nose up again), as well as mixing a bit of wet food/sardines etc in with the kibble (she'll eat everything but the kibble) and also tried mixing different kibble with her normal kibble (she'll eat the other bits and leave her kibble)!  I was so determined not to have a fussy doglet, but she will literally not eat for days if we just give her the kibble!

I think I'll have to look it to wet/raw just didn't want to as it seemed more expensive/more effort  ph34r because she's obviously not enjoying this kibble.

Karen, owned by Molly B the blue roan show cocker, D.O.B 02/08/2011, and Finley the orange and white show cocker, D.O.B 19/01/2013

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 02:57:15 PM »
Hi, could she be coming into season?  Jinley was a late starter (just over 12 months) and she hardly touched anything for a couple of days.  She eats raw so cant comment on different kibble, but it isnt as expensive as uneaten kibble!!  I ended up throwing away almost a whole bag of Arden Grange Puppy after the mice had had a go at it!!

I can get about 10 chicken wings from supermarkets for under £2.00 - she has one for breakfast every morning then 250g of either/or mix of value beef mince, lamb breast, liver, sardines etc for dinner.  Get to know a local butcher.

I flash fry her meat and it all gets eaten now - just adding veg if I have cooked any, a garlic tablet and salmon oil if she doesnt have fish.

I found it easy to manage on holidays as well.

Pat

Offline abkb

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 03:03:56 PM »
Hi, could she be coming into season?  Jinley was a late starter (just over 12 months) and she hardly touched anything for a couple of days.  She eats raw so cant comment on different kibble, but it isnt as expensive as uneaten kibble!!  I ended up throwing away almost a whole bag of Arden Grange Puppy after the mice had had a go at it!!

I can get about 10 chicken wings from supermarkets for under £2.00 - she has one for breakfast every morning then 250g of either/or mix of value beef mince, lamb breast, liver, sardines etc for dinner.  Get to know a local butcher.

I flash fry her meat and it all gets eaten now - just adding veg if I have cooked any, a garlic tablet and salmon oil if she doesnt have fish.

I found it easy to manage on holidays as well.

Pat

Thanks Pat,

Molly had her first season 3 months ago, so all seems to be fine on that front.  I know what you mean though, wet/raw works out less expensive than throwing kibble away!

I think I may venture down to PAH and have a trial with their nature diet or something similar, then when I'm a bit braver I may go with raw.

Offline abkb

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 03:08:48 PM »
Am I right in thinking that if Molly were to just have nature diet, she would need one 390g tray per day?  I hate the working out bit, just trying to get an idea of how much more expensive it is than kibble.

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 03:11:53 PM »
You should see the posts I've had about fussy Charlie. If I leave him be, he just won't eat. I'm in the process of trying the pets at home frozen food to get an idea about what he does and doesn't like before I order from somewhere proper. Are you on facebook? There is a good page on there in addition to COL about raw feeding, believe me I've asked stupid questions but I've found it really useful so far.

I'm mostly relieved that Charlie seems to be enjoying his food - its taken me ages to convince myself about switching to raw. He doesn't like some of the meats (raw chicken) but with a square inch of tripe added its gone. Is it wrong I'm excited to give him his tea tonight? Its the last 'new' meat to try (rabbit).  Also with raw, if you have a fussy eater like mine who doesn't like bones or chicken wings, there are companies which sell complete mince with crushed up bone in it which makes it dead easy.

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 03:13:28 PM »
Charlie didn't like the nature diet, just the wainwrights, but for wainwrights he had about half to 2/3 of a tray per day.

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 03:19:55 PM »
i don't think i would like to eat the same old dry kibble every day for the rest of my days

Offline abkb

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 03:25:21 PM »
Charlie didn't like the nature diet, just the wainwrights, but for wainwrights he had about half to 2/3 of a tray per day.

Thanks, was this is he had all day, i.e no kibble or raw?  I like the look of wainwrights!

Offline abkb

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 03:25:45 PM »
i don't think i would like to eat the same old dry kibble every day for the rest of my days

I know, I can't blame her really!