Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 502 times)

Offline Harvey2012

Hello!
« on: September 21, 2012, 10:21:54 AM »
Hi all,
Another newbie here.  We are collecting our gorgeous little orange roan show type cocker (Harvey) on Sunday when he will be 8 weeks old!  I cant wait although I cant say im looking forward to the sleepless nights and hard work that lies ahead. 

We have 2 young boys aged 2 and 4 so its going to be a busy household.  We have had 3 cockers throughout my life (growing up) so know them fairly well but this is the first time of owning one myself and doing all the training etc.  :lol:

Any hints and tips much appreciated, already I have learnt so much from these boards!

Amanda

Offline Sarah/G

• Donator
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 10:36:32 AM »
Hiya and welcome  ;)
Sarah & Brodie.

www.whatthewoof.co.uk       "Now live"

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 01:10:05 PM »
Ooh! another gorgeous orange roan boy  :luv: Such exciting times  ;)

I too grew up with cockers and never really considered any other breed. I first had my own cocker when my children were 7 and 5 so a bit older than yours and she was a very docile girlie so the introductions and puppy rearing were a doddle.

I'm glad I didn't have little ones when Morgan was a youngster as he was a very lively, confident, gnashing whirlwind  :005: As long as the children realise that your puppy will need his own space and time to rest and as long as you have somewhere you can put him when he's OTT and you all need a break from the cockerdile, you'll be fine. We used to pop Morgan in the kitchen behind a baby gate to give everyone a bit of a break.

I bet the children soon learn to tidy their toys away  :005:
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline Harvey2012

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 01:25:25 PM »
Haha, thanks Elaine!  I have warned the boys about the toy thing.  My eldest said "will we have to tell him that they are our toys?"  I said well you can try but it will take him a while to understand so you will have to make sure you keep them tidy.  His response was a puzzled face.  Im already paranoid about all the little bits and bobs that are lying around so a full floor sweep needs to take place before Sunday!  This should be fun...

We have bought a cage and he will have the breakfast room where he can go to escape from us all, and us him im sure!  :lol2:  He was lively but not too boisterous when we met him but im well aware that can change!

Its the 2 year old im going to have to watch, he can very over enthusiastic when he wants to be but loves dogs! 

I may well be on here in a weeks time at my wits end! Wish me luck!  :005:

Offline fenby

• Donator
  • Harvey
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 03:46:01 PM »
Hello and Welcome I am Claire who also has an orange roan called Harvey. he is just 2 and a joy to own. The puppy months can be hard but don't last long - and they look soooo cute at that age . Make sure you don't have any wires or leads that he can get to as they love to chew them  >:D Harvey was lucky he didn't get a shock as I did find a few almost bitten in half .

Offline AnnetteP

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 08:30:26 PM »
Hi Amanda

Welcome fellow newbie.  Good luck with pup and just enjoy it. ;)