Author Topic: 8 weeks old and the breeder said to only feed 3 meals.  (Read 3710 times)

Offline kalami

• Site Member
Re: 8 weeks old and the breeder said to only feed 3 meals.
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 09:47:38 AM »
Both my pups came from the same breeder and she fed the pups 3x a day on beta with a bit of weebox!! I changed them over to burns. I continued to feed them 3x a day but in fairness they got a lot more as I used kibble as training treats during the day. And when you train a puppy that's a lot in a day.

In defence of beta my cousin worked for them (long time ago) and was very high up in the company and they used to be seen as a good brand, obviously things have moved on now and there's a lot more options.
Breeders won't necessarily research foods for puppies if well known pet stores and shops sell beta people may not necessarily see it as being rubbish. Also when we got our packs they came as puppy packs, so she obviously got them from a rep or similar and from my experience of reps they can sell you most things

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 12:34:32 PM »
Also when we got our packs they came as puppy packs, so she obviously got them from a rep or similar and from my experience of reps they can sell you most things

Most of the major brands offer either a puppy pack or more usually a voucher (to give to new owners) to breeders that sign up to their breeder scheme & buy a certain amount of food from them. We've joined various breeder schemes over the years - the "quality" companies operate them as well as those at the lower end of the market so a breeder wouldn't need to go with a low quality food to get access to a breeder scheme. Can't remember ever seeing a rep when we've signed up with various companies so that's never been a factor for us - maybe it is for breeders that go with Beta :-\
Jane

Offline Honormum

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 02:42:16 PM »
We didn't get any kind of puppy pack from our breeder - just the Petplan 4 weeks insurance free.

Unfortunately, we bought a huge sack of Beta before Teddy came home. :-\

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 03:39:58 PM »
We didn't get any kind of puppy pack from our breeder - just the Petplan 4 weeks insurance free.

Unfortunately, we bought a huge sack of Beta before Teddy came home. :-\

Can I ask, is your breeder elderly?  It's just that some elderly breeders don't necessarily keep up with current 'best practice' ideas, and may also explain why the KC registration was not completed in time. 

The 'puppy pack' is, I think, a relatively new thing - when we picked up our GR pup 5 1/2 years ago, (very reputable breeder)  we got the free 4 weeks insurance, and a small amount of the food she was on, plus all her documentation of course, and I think that was 'the norm' then.  When we picked Ozzy up in July this year, we got the works - at least a weeks worth of food, a puppy hygiene pad, treats, a familiar toy, a bit of vet bed that had been slept on, a voucher for more food, and various other bits and pieces, lots of leaflets and stuff provided by various dog food companies!  The 'puppy pack' seems to have become standard practice now, everyone likes to feel that they have got 'something for nothing' these days, and puppy buyers are no exception, especially as we all willingly pay quite large sums of money for our beloved pups!  :luv: :005:

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 04:44:36 PM »
Also when we got our packs they came as puppy packs, so she obviously got them from a rep or similar and from my experience of reps they can sell you most things
Most of the major brands offer either a puppy pack or more usually a voucher (to give to new owners) to breeders that sign up to their breeder scheme & buy a certain amount of food from them. We've joined various breeder schemes over the years - the "quality" companies operate them as well as those at the lower end of the market so a breeder wouldn't need to go with a low quality food to get access to a breeder scheme. Can't remember ever seeing a rep when we've signed up with various companies so that's never been a factor for us - maybe it is for breeders that go with Beta :-\

I don't know just guessing, I don't know how these things work. Thinking about it I can't imagine reps going to all these individual independent breeders.
When people ask me what I feed my dogs and I say burns they look at me as if I've grown an extra head. I suppose a lot of people breeders included just think what they sell in asda for example is good dog food

Offline Darwin

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2012, 05:46:11 PM »
Don't feel bad you not the first person to buy a large bag of the food that the breeders feeding and then find for what ever reason it's not the right food for your pup and swap to anther food.

Offline Honormum

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2012, 05:55:03 PM »
The breeder, I'd guess, was in her 60's - she,s been showing and breeding for 37 years. (German shepherds mostly, but now cockers and miniature schnauzers).

We've been to Pets at Home this afternoon and bought 2 bags of James Wellbeloved. Looking at Teddy, he looks a bit on the skinny side - apart from a bit of a pot belly. He goes in noticeably behind his ribcage.

We mixed his 4pm feed half and half, Beta and JWB. I'll keep an eye on his poo over the next few days.

Thank you so much for all your help.x

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2012, 06:02:03 PM »
Don't feel bad you not the first person to buy a large bag of the food that the breeders feeding and then find for what ever reason it's not the right food for your pup and swap to anther food.

When lost Cassie in July we had a huge unopened bag and a half full one of her food - we donated them to a local rescue centre via a vet nurse at the local cat and rabbit vets.  I'm sure any dog rescue close to you would be glad to have the Beta, they feed what they can get, and are always short of money, so any donations of anything will be gratefully received.

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2012, 06:07:28 PM »
The breeder, I'd guess, was in her 60's - she,s been showing and breeding for 37 years. (German shepherds mostly, but now cockers and miniature schnauzers).

We've been to Pets at Home this afternoon and bought 2 bags of James Wellbeloved. Looking at Teddy, he looks a bit on the skinny side - apart from a bit of a pot belly. He goes in noticeably behind his ribcage.

We mixed his 4pm feed half and half, Beta and JWB. I'll keep an eye on his poo over the next few days.

The pot belly combined with soft pops could be due to worms..... When was he last wormed..

Offline Honormum

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2012, 06:07:37 PM »
What a great idea - we have a Dogs Trust shelter not far away. :D :D

Offline Honormum

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2012, 06:09:33 PM »

The pot belly combined with soft pops could be due to worms..... When was he last wormed..

She said he'd been wormed twice with Drontal and would need doing again at 12 weeks.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2012, 06:17:31 PM »

She said he'd been wormed twice with Drontal and would need doing again at 12 weeks.

I wouldn't use Drontal - there have been a lot of problems with it since they changed the formulation, although I know a lot of people have used it with no ill effects (Ozzy's breeder said it gave the pups terrible diarrhea for about a week)  - ask your vet for Milbemax instead.

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2012, 06:19:12 PM »
Forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm sure drontal should be used on puppies every two weeks until they are twelve weeks.... So if you got him at 8 weeks leaving him till 12 weeks wouldn't be right, this is do assuming she wormed just before you took him at eight weeks..... You really need to know when he was last wormed then speak to you vet about when to worm next....

I don't want to worry you as worms are very common in pups but can cause stomach upsets and runny pops etc... Xx

Offline Honormum

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2012, 06:48:29 PM »
Forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm sure drontal should be used on puppies every two weeks until they are twelve weeks.... So if you got him at 8 weeks leaving him till 12 weeks wouldn't be right, this is do assuming she wormed just before you took him at eight weeks..... You really need to know when he was last wormed then speak to you vet about when to worm next....

I don't want to worry you as worms are very common in pups but can cause stomach upsets and runny pops etc... Xx

I'll check the information sheet she gave us, and ask our vet about recommended wormers.

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2012, 06:56:35 PM »
Good idea.... He might need worming and that may sort his little belly out xxx