Author Topic: 8 weeks old and the breeder said to only feed 3 meals.  (Read 3711 times)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: 8 weeks old and the breeder said to only feed 3 meals.
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2012, 10:42:16 PM »
Forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm sure drontal should be used on puppies every two weeks until they are twelve weeks.... So if you got him at 8 weeks leaving him till 12 weeks wouldn't be right, this is do assuming she wormed just before you took him at eight weeks..... You really need to know when he was last wormed then speak to you vet about when to worm next....

I don't want to worry you as worms are very common in pups but can cause stomach upsets and runny pops etc... Xx

Yes that's right - we use Drontal (no problems with any of our litters so far) and worm every 2 weeks from 2 weeks old until 12 weeks - doesn't sound like the breeder has been following Drontal's protocol if the pup has only been wormed twice so far :-\
Jane

Offline Honormum

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2012, 11:00:10 PM »
I have looked at the info sheet we were given.

There is actually 2 sheets - one says that their puppies have been wormed at 4 and 6 weeks and will need doing at 8 weeks, the other says they've been wormed at 4,6 and 8 weeks.
The first one says they will need worming at 6 month intervals - the other says at 3 month intervals.

It says Drontal puppy liquid has been used.

Can we worm again now, or do I need to email the breeder and clarify if he has actually been worked recently?

The help sheets we've been given don't seem all that helpful - apparently, we should cut meals down to 2 a day from 12 weeks, and one a day at 5 months (but can give egg and vitamins in the morning if we feel our puppy should have something).

It also says that we shouldn't take our older dog out at all until the puppy is fully vaccinated. Is that correct? :huh:

Offline maddy74

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2012, 11:29:27 PM »
It does sound like your breeder is very old fashioned in her view. Most adult dogs I know of are fed a minimum of 2 meals a day. Between 3 and 4 months cut down to 3 meals and then you can cut down to 2 at 6 months, although Willow suffered from bouts of colitis in her puppyhood so we kept her on 3 meals until she was well over a year on the vets advise.

In terms of the Beta puppy, our breeder gave us a puppy pack so we got free food. We told her of Willows upset tum and she said another pup she sold had the same so she no longer uses that food. Im sure Willow having that food at the time of weaning contributed to her tum problems for almost the first year of her life....(I cant be sure)

Not sure in terms of worming again, I cant remember what we did with Willow as a pup tbh but Im sure someone will be along soon that knows. You could ring the breeder for clarity of when the worming took place and then seek advice from your vet as when to worm again.

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2012, 08:01:53 AM »
The feeding advice from your breeder is well off the mark.... Puppies of eight weeks of age need feeding 4 times a day as this encourages a healthy growth rate, then 3 times a day at 4-5 months and at 6 months twice a day until they are fully grown at 9-12 months, it is then up to you whether you continue to feed an adult dog once or twice aday. I feed mine twice as they sometimes get stomach bile if their bellies are empty and if they are hungry they won't leave me alone... ;)

You really need to message the breeder and find out when they were last wormed, I wouldn't just go ahead and reworm incase they've only just been done. Once you know you can ask your vet about the right wormer for you. We use liquid panacur for our pups, works a treat and never had a problem with it.

I hope we're helping and not confusing you even more
Lucy xx

Offline Honormum

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2012, 01:09:44 PM »
Thank you so much for the further replies.

We've spoken to the breeder today. She says he was wormed a couple of days before we collected him. She also says he won't need worming again until 12 weeks - but I'm going to speak to our vet when we take Teddy for his first jabs this week.

He's had 3 meals of Beta and JWB mixed and his poo already looks a bit better. :D

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2012, 02:42:08 PM »

We've spoken to the breeder today. She says he was wormed a couple of days before we collected him. She also says he won't need worming again until 12 weeks - but I'm going to speak to our vet when we take Teddy for his first jabs this week.

He's had 3 meals of Beta and JWB mixed and his poo already looks a bit better. :D

That sounds great, hope all is ok.
Our vet said to worm Riley every month until he was 6 months old then every 3 months. I used drontal puppy liquid now use the drontal bone shaped tablet.

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2012, 04:29:37 PM »

That's good news, hopefully a change of food and the correct feeding regime will sort out his little tummy xxx

Offline maddy74

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2012, 06:42:02 PM »
Good his poops are firming up  :D

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2012, 06:59:38 PM »
I'm a bit upset, actually.

Don't get me wrong - Teddy is absolutely wonderful. He's gorgeous to look at, very confident and happy, has settled in beautifully, taking everything in his stride etc.

We did as much research as we could, didn't buy him from any old breeder, paid top price for him etc.
Now I'm wondering why his breeder would choose to feed her puppies on rubbish food and supplement it.  :huh:

I'm now worrying about something else too - we came away without the KC register documents, because she said there'd been a problem (something to do with his mum having restrictions on her which was the KC's error and was being sorted).

I guess the important thing now is to sort out his diet and take it from there.

He should still be on 4 meals a day of good quality food. He should have been wormed every 2 weeks from 2 weeks old and I would be concerned about the mum having restrictions.

This is obviously a "bought in" mum and not one they have bred themselves. Is it her first litter? If she is endorsed with the KC the breeder will NOT be able to register the puppies at all. Did you get a contract with the puppy?  Are the parents health tested? Sorry to be so negative but there seems to be something not quite right here.
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2012, 07:46:08 PM »
I'm a bit upset, actually.

Don't get me wrong - Teddy is absolutely wonderful. He's gorgeous to look at, very confident and happy, has settled in beautifully, taking everything in his stride etc.

We did as much research as we could, didn't buy him from any old breeder, paid top price for him etc.
Now I'm wondering why his breeder would choose to feed her puppies on rubbish food and supplement it.  :huh:

I'm now worrying about something else too - we came away without the KC register documents, because she said there'd been a problem (something to do with his mum having restrictions on her which was the KC's error and was being sorted).

I guess the important thing now is to sort out his diet and take it from there.

He should still be on 4 meals a day of good quality food. He should have been wormed every 2 weeks from 2 weeks old and I would be concerned about the mum having restrictions.

This is obviously a "bought in" mum and not one they have bred themselves. Is it her first litter? If she is endorsed with the KC the breeder will NOT be able to register the puppies at all. Did you get a contract with the puppy?  Are the parents health tested? Sorry to be so negative but there seems to be something not quite right here.
[/quote

You need to keep on at the breeder regarding the KC registration..... To be honest, whenever I sell a pup I always endorse it against breeding purposes and would hope that anyone who would like to breed one of them in the future would contact me first regarding lifting it. My pups leave with a contract and all copies of health certificates and I would only ever consider lifting an endorsement if the new owner had carried out all relevant DNA and health testing and was matching to a sure with the same. I hope teddys breeders are not expecting the endorsement to be lifted after the event, cause if I was the original breeder of teddys mum I would most definately refuse!.... Xxx

Offline Honormum

« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2012, 09:00:44 PM »
Yes, both parents are health tested - I've seen the test results online.

Yes, we have a contract.

We have a KC registration number for Teddy, on the copy of his 5 generation pedigree.

From what I understood the breeder said, the dam had mistakenly been registered as having restrictions on her that was the KC's error (but the KC would not admit liability) - I *think* the matter has been corrected, but the registration documents have been held up as a result.

It's not her first litter, as far as I can tell from looking up breeding history.

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2012, 09:04:22 PM »
Yes, both parents are health tested - I've seen the test results online.

Yes, we have a contract.

We have a KC registration number for Teddy, on the copy of his 5 generation pedigree.

From what I understood the breeder said, the dam had mistakenly been registered as having restrictions on her that was the KC's error (but the KC would not admit liability) - I *think* the matter has been corrected, but the registration documents have been held up as a result.

It's not her first litter, as far as I can tell from looking up breeding history.

This all sounds quite promising and perhaps the breeders only slight fault was feeding a slightly lower grade food, everything else seems ok, let's hold your KC reg turns up. But I would have thought if you had a five gen cert and a number then you would have the KC reg ..  :huh:

Offline Honormum

« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2012, 09:19:44 PM »
It's only the breeder's own version of his pedigree - nothing official. It has a registration number for him in the top corner...which could, of course, be any old number.

It rang bells at the time, because we had the same "story" of some sort of delay was given to us by the breeder of our 2 pedigree cats...that was 18 months ago and the registration documents have never arrived. >:D

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2012, 09:41:38 PM »
have you tried contacting the KC, i dont know if they'll give you any details but they may be able to help.....

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2012, 10:52:22 PM »
It's only the breeder's own version of his pedigree - nothing official. It has a registration number for him in the top corner...which could, of course, be any old number.

Seems odd as a breeder only gets to know the reg nos when they receive the registration certificates from the KC :-\ Maybe there was an error on the certs which meant they had to be sent back :huh: Hopefully all will be sorted soon but you can ring the KC if you want to confirm if the litter has actually been registered.
Jane