Author Topic: How long to groom?  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Evadee

Re: How long to groom?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 01:18:15 PM »
wow you all have a lot "done" to your dogs  ph34r

We have a mobile groomer who lives up the road, she's great with the dogs and parks on our drive  :005:

We just have them scissor trimmed, feet, legs, knickers & ears and she charges us anything between £10 - £25 for the two of them depending how long she takes.  She's usually here for the best part of an hour sometimes less.

We bath ours ourselves every 3-4 months, and comb them out several times a week.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2012, 01:53:29 PM »
I have just found out the groomer had 3 other dogs in the room as well as Ruby.  :-\

I would not be happy with that at all  >:(  I think a couple of hours should be plenty for a pet dog groom - Coco would never behave for 3 hours, in fact 2 hours is a bit of a stretch (as Michele will testify  ph34r) - when I groom her myself I have to keep it to under an hour.  :005: Probably why she doesn't always look that tidy but, for the lifestyle she has, it is not essential for her to look immaculate  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 05:00:06 PM »
I have just found out the groomer had 3 other dogs in the room as well as Ruby.  :-\

That explains it then Toni  :shades: 
Personally i don't think thats a professional thing to do & on top of that it could be possible for another dog to pass on a canine disease in such a confined space.  :huh:
How about starting a thread to ask if any col'ers in your area could recommend another groomer?  :-\

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2012, 06:29:53 PM »
Hi I have my own grooming salon I work on a 1 to 1 basis so once I start on a dog I carry on with it until it is finished.

I mainly groom cockers and Springer nature of the area I live in but to give you an idea on my times

Full clip off with bath & dry I take between 1.5 hours - 2 hours
Clip but with feathering so look normal show type finish 2 - 2.5 hours
Handstripping around 2.5 - 3 hours

What can make the difference to me will be the drying times for the longer coated & if the dog is wet / dirty when they arrive as I need to do more prep work before I can really get down to the job
Aljeana & the Baddley Pack

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2012, 08:39:50 PM »

Personally i don't think thats a professional thing to do & on top of that it could be possible for another dog to pass on a canine disease in such a confined space.  :huh:
How about starting a thread to ask if any col'ers in your area could recommend another groomer?  :-\

I said 3 dogs in the room but i mean shop.

She is dried in what OH describes as a large box with an all glass front and sides which is in the actual grooming area.
Ruby has developed a gunky eye,don't know if that's coincidence but am bathing it at the moment and will see how it goes.
I will do a post Wendy and see what happens.  ;)
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2012, 08:46:49 PM »

I said 3 dogs in the room but i mean shop.

She is dried in what OH describes as a large box with an all glass front and sides which is in the actual grooming area.
Ruby has developed a gunky eye,don't know if that's coincidence but am bathing it at the moment and will see how it goes.

I will do a post Wendy and see what happens.  ;)

Her drying facility sounds the same as my old groomer uses  :fear2:
Sorry to hear Ruby has gunky eye's now  :'(  Hope the bathing does the trick  :shades:

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2012, 08:47:17 PM »
Alfie is a very hairy boy and goes to the groomer every 6 - 7 weeks. We drop him off thoroughly detangled and brushed. The groomer always runs to time and Alfie is ready to be collected after an hour as he doesn't get shampooed and dried. We're always amazed at the great job she does as it takes 2 of us to brush and detangle Alfie ourselves.

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 09:04:45 AM »
Alfie is a very hairy boy and goes to the groomer every 6 - 7 weeks. We drop him off thoroughly detangled and brushed. The groomer always runs to time and Alfie is ready to be collected after an hour as he doesn't get shampooed and dried. We're always amazed at the great job she does as it takes 2 of us to brush and detangle Alfie ourselves.
An hour sounds about right for dry trimming and grooming bathing and drying do take time I always allow 2.5 hours for each dog so that I do not rush plus I allow for being distrubed.
I think it is important to understand that the groomer needs the time  so that the dogs is groomed in a relaxed environment and not being rushed making them upset.
Not really sure what your problem is if the dog is over the time taken
If the dog is being groomed in a conveyour belt system then find a different groomer there are plenty that offer a 1 to 1 service but they may take longer the 2-3 hours.  As long as your dog is happy and groomed nicely surley that is what matters. Sorry my opinion as cocker owner & groomer
Aljeana & the Baddley Pack

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 03:18:45 PM »

An hour sounds about right for dry trimming and grooming bathing and drying do take time I always allow 2.5 hours for each dog so that I do not rush plus I allow for being distrubed.
I think it is important to understand that the groomer needs the time  so that the dogs is groomed in a relaxed environment and not being rushed making them upset.
Not really sure what your problem is if the dog is over the time taken
If the dog is being groomed in a conveyour belt system then find a different groomer there are plenty that offer a 1 to 1 service but they may take longer the 2-3 hours.  As long as your dog is happy and groomed nicely surley that is what matters. Sorry my opinion as cocker owner & groomer

Don't apologise for your opinion,that's why i made this thread.

I'm trying to get the gist if people think 3 hours is excessive and the general consensus seems to be that people don't think it should take that long or it simply just doesn't take that long for their dogs.
I already covered the points why it's a problem for me in my first post.

You said yourself you take 2-2.5 hours for clip with feathers which is what Ruby has and i have no problem with that.My point was my groomer said to ring and see if my dog was ready after 3 hours,which is just not on seeing as she has help with an established apprentice and has a wash person to wash the dogs.
I like the final result but Ruby has to be dragged in the door and is like a bat out of hell to get out and i feel she would be like that anywhere so it's not a case of "as long as the dog is happy".

I also don't possibly see how you can say a one to one groomer could take even longer than 3 hours  :dunno:

I have posted a new thread for recommended groomers in my area,no luck yet but i have a few months until she will need doing again.

People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2012, 03:36:06 PM »
When I groom for other people the dog often plays with my dogs (with the owners permisson) and has a numebr of breaks for a run in the garden. I think this is better than a longer time on a table.
Sarah Dyllan Tyke and Lance

www.brimbeck.co.uk

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 03:42:40 PM »
Shame you aren't local to me.  ;)

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2012, 04:35:48 PM »
There maybe a reason why Ruby is not keen Toni  :-\
I know that mine used to hate that boxed in drier  :'(  & after listening to the Jeremy Vine Show today i would never, ever let any of mine go in one again ph34r :o :'(

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2012, 05:49:00 PM »
Brodie takes around 2-2.15 hours, depending on how she is behaving and how her coat is. There are two people, one washes and the other clips, so there are usually two dogs in at a time. I stay with her the whole time and am happy with the whole process (the groomers is in the next town, I have to get the bus and there is nowhere for me to go). She doesn't like being groomed, especially the blow dryer - she does get put into the drying cabinet, but she is supervised at all times. She isn't keen, tbh, but it is a lot less stressful for her than the blow dryer :-\. I have never had her there as long as three hours, even when she was at her most difficult.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2012, 07:19:05 PM »
There maybe a reason why Ruby is not keen Toni  :-\
I know that mine used to hate that boxed in drier  :'(  & after listening to the Jeremy Vine Show today i would never, ever let any of mine go in one again ph34r :o :'(

I didn't hear it Wendy though i have heard a few terrible stories about those cabinets  :-\ I really do understand what you are saying that there maybe a reason why she doesn't like it but i have never felt like the staff have treated her badly,but i'm only as sure as any of us that leave our dogs with groomers/kennels/vets,oh to be a fly on the wall or have Jennys groomer eh?

She is the type of dog that just doesn't like "stuff" done to her although when i have asked the groomer is she difficult she has said no.I have never been able to use a hair dryer to dry her ears,she will let me trim her feet but she is twitchy when i do it though i can groom her no problem and when we go to the vets she gets super stressed and is a bit of a baby  :luv:

The more i think about it,the more "i don't think" i'm going to go back  :-\