Author Topic: Serious note - who will look after your cocker if the grim reaper calls?  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
This just a heads up.
We are in our late sixties, we have no family, there is just us two. We made our wills when we were between dogs over years ago, we weren't actually intending to get another dog, but what's a home without one? Anyway, we put in our wills that if we had a dog, in the event of death it would go to the CanineDefence League, with a legacy. Then we got Dylan, and I would hate the thought of him going to someone I didn't know.

OH was very ill last autumn, and now has heart failure, though he is OK at the moment on pills (if he needs a pacemaker it will now be put on hold due to the virus). Wills are always those things you 'mean to get round to'. So Imcontacted Dylan’s breeder (I send her photos a few times a year anyway, at Christmas and holidays), and she is more than happy to take him if anything happens to us, both as a short terms board or permanently, and she will come and collect him (a 4 hour drive). The emergency local dog walker will have him til she collects, and they have each other's phone numbers. I will contact the solicitor next week to change the will, and write out a sheet with his diet etc, for a folder with his medical records in it.

Phew! After seeing those poor souls in the hospitals in Italy, they were so sick and beyond being able to do anything, it kickstarted me into sorting out Dylan’s care as far as I can, and I feel such a sense of relief.

So just a heads up everyone, check who will see to your beloved dogs should you be unable to, and that is one less thing to worry about.

Have a lovely weekend, and hug your dogs  :D

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline phoenix

• Donator
Very thoughtful of you.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Well done Lesley for bringing the subject up! Our position is very similar, me late 60‘s, OH is 70, has a heart condition and a pacemaker and I‘ve thought about it many times. We have two sons but the most I could ask of them would be to ensure that Humph didn‘t end up in kennels, although they both love him dearly, they‘ve got work commitments. We‘ve never got around to making a will, although I know its stupid, its just one of those things we keep putting off but I do think its a good time now to give it some serious thought. OH has a hospital appointment on Monday and I know its going to be a long wait and very crowded, I‘ve just been looking at Youtube instructions to make him a face mask!! Looks like we‘re going to be in lock down here within the next few days, I‘ve been quite relaxed about all this up til now but am starting to get a bit panicky now...
All the best, stay safe,  :bigarmhug: to all three of you. Humph sends tail wags to Dylan!!  :luv:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Have to admit I too have had these thoughts....just basically because of Ollie age being over 12 now.
Lesley you are a credit having planned things...I have to admit the scenes in Italy really made me panic....so very dreadful to see the hospital scenes.

We love our cockers and the only thing we can do is take all the possible steps required to look after ourselves and them.

Jayne all hosptial appts cancelled in our area...worth checking before you set off.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Ladys tramp

Lady and tramp would be well catered for our children are grown up and both spend a lot of time with the cockers. We have no plans to go together but you never know. Hope everyone is staying safe and well at this crazy time. Look on the bright side more time with your fur babies

Offline lescef

Our children both have dogs so couldn't take ours. I have put in our wills that they should go to Spaniel Aid. I do occasionally think about if  one of us should die and the other is taken ill who would come and rescue them. I always feel so very sad when I read of dogs being found next to the body of their owner.
Stay safe everyone! Xx
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Ambler54

I too have been thinking about this...I need to have the conversation with daughter...

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
We're in our 60s and decided about 20 or 30 years ago that having wills was a good idea. Our current wills, set up about 5 or 6 years ago, make provision for our dog in the (hopefully unlikely) event that both of us die at the same time. Any dog or dogs we own at that time will go to a close friend of ours, which we've already agreed with her of course, with a sum of money large enough to cover their care for many years.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
Well done Elaine. Our solicitor has sorted out all the legal side, he's got a copy of the contract we signed with the breeder agreeing for Dylan to go back to her as the first port of call, so that overrides the CDL. we are making a bequest to the breeder which is being done Over the next day or two, so we can breathe a sigh of relief knowing we have done our best.  Now I shall go and dance with my dog  :005:

Lesley
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo