Author Topic: Experiences please  (Read 2386 times)

Offline Kay87

Experiences please
« on: March 18, 2013, 10:42:50 PM »
Hi all,

Belle my working cocker spaniel is now 10 months old and is due to attend her first gun dog training class in a few weeks.
I don't intend to work her as such, for starters I know nothing about it, and do nothing like that. She is my pet, we've been doing obedience classes since 3 months old, so I'm hoping this will step up the training.
My rationale is it will be something new and fun to learn together and will hopefully teach us both a thing or two. When we go for walks she's constantly in and out of the bushes, and after birds, so again am hoping for a bit of guidance for us both.
I'm just interested to hear peoples opinions on doing some gun dog training with cockers that are solely kept as pets. Also peoples experiences is any? I don't want to confuse her or do anything that's going to be a big mistake!
Thanks

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
Re: Experiences please
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 10:12:57 AM »
Yes yes yes, your pup is a gundog, bred to be a gundog, will be at his best when being a gundog  :D :D

You do not have to work your dog on shoots just go and enjoy the training but I am pretty sure after a while you will be looking to join a beater's line or get some picking up experience.

I have said before on here if you want a house pet FTCH bred dogs are not the way to go, but I would guess that 80% or more gundogs in the UK are also house pets. All of my dogs have been brought up in the house they have all worked their socks of on shoot days then come home and slept on the sofa and played with the children.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 11:35:48 AM »
Most of the important bits of gundog training are discipline (sit, recall, etc), so the training should do her no harm.  I've recently got my first worker (lives inside with my other two show-types), who will be off to gundog training once he's old enough.  In the meantime, I am going 'dogless' to get an idea of what I will need to be doing in time.  Class was great over the weekend - training methods positive and people and dogs all had a good time.  (Variety of spaniels there - pet workers, show-type crosses, and variety of people too - serious trialing types and others just wanting to do a bit of training).  Can't wait to take my pup.  Hope you and your cocker enjoy the class.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline wendyt

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 11:15:21 PM »
I've been doing gundog training with Indy for nearly a year. It's been a lot of hard work but it's been so rewarding, I'm so pleased I decided to go down this route with him. He's gone from being a  hyper ball obsessed dog, to a steady dog who now retrieves in a controlled manner and watching him do what's in his blood is such a joy. I'm lucky to have 1 to 1 with a brilliant trainer who has taught us so much but what's more she has given me the confidence to take Indy further. : :D

Give it a go I'm sure you won't be disappointed.