Author Topic: GUN DOG CLUB  (Read 1890 times)

Offline Gordon

• Sleepy days
GUN DOG CLUB
« on: May 29, 2013, 08:32:34 PM »

Opinions required, are there any benefits having your Cocker registered with the above, fors and againsts please, reason being I have been asked to join and wonder if it is worthwhile?

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: GUN DOG CLUB
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 08:42:40 PM »
They offer training lessons/courses and a series of non-competitive graded tests (using dummies, not game), so if you're interested in doing that then it's worthwhile; if not then there aren't really any 'benefits' as such.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Gordon

• Sleepy days
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 08:45:57 PM »
Thanks, seems like away to make money. ;)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 08:51:15 PM »
helen & jarvis x

Offline VeeBee

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 08:59:30 PM »
Gun dog clubs are a good way to learn the stuff that makes your spaniel tick. Working spaniels like to have a job to to, and a gun dog club is an excellent way for an owner to learn how to keep their dog's mind occupied. Exercise is not enough to totally tire a spaniel out, the mind needs to work, whether it be training, learning tricks, agility or working. If you do go down the gun dog club route, find a good one, one you feel comfortable with the training methods. Reward/treat based training is not always the norm at a gun dog club. Hope this helps make your decision.

Offline redlottie

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 09:05:19 PM »
We registered with them because we wanted our dogs to enter the tests that they run via our gun dog trainer.

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 01:27:44 PM »
I was going to go for agility with Bracken, but because of his instinct to chase a bird once in a while I thought gun dog training will be more beneficial to him, plus it is a whole lot cheaper as I go to group sessions!