Author Topic: Trials  (Read 2873 times)

Offline lesley3165

Trials
« on: February 02, 2014, 08:23:02 PM »
I'm sorry if this is a really daft question but I see lots of posts on here talking about working cockers and trials & shoots etc. we're new to spaniel ownership and have a show cocker so that side of it won't apply to meg but I just wondered can anyone go along to these events and if so could we take meg, clearly not to participate. How do I find out where they take place if we are allowed to go. Just thought it would be nice to see some of the breed doing what they were bred for.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Trials
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 08:59:16 PM »
There's no reason why Meg can't participate if she has the instinct ;) Pearl is a show type who has just finished her second shooting season by taking part in a couple of drives beating!

Trials are organised competitions - others on here are better placed to advise.  There are often novice scurrys at the competition event that anyone can have a go at.

If you are interested it would be worth taking Meg to gun dog training - you nay also make contacts at the training  :D

Offline lesley3165

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 09:15:17 PM »
Thanks pearly, to be honest I would have no idea if Meg has the instinct,  she loves sniffing but I see a couple on our local field that flush in the undergrowth and she doesn't do anything like that but is that something that is trained? Just wondered if we could go along to watch to see if it would be something we might be interested in.
Apologies mods for posting in wrong section, thanks for moving  :D

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 09:22:48 PM »
Do you have any gundog/working spaniel clubs local to you? Whereabouts are you? Most clubs will have websites and will have trials/working test dates on there. The main spaniel trialling season has now finished, but there will be working tests through spring to autumn.  You can usually spectate, but I wouldn't suggest taking your dog as it can be a long day, she will be on lead the whole time and if she is at all noisy you won't be popular!
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 09:28:41 PM »
Shooting season finished yesterday - there should be trials and scurry competitions though.  Have a look at www.game-fairs.co.uk there may be one close to you :D

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 10:04:15 PM »
find out when and where your local game fairs are. they make a good day out, there is always "dog sports" going on as well as country pursuits displays, plenty where you can enter your dog for fun, not to mention shopping for hooman and dogs. we get to quite afew, the furthest being over a 4 hour drive away (weston park in september where usually there is a COL meet  :004:)
if you are anywhere near burton on trent, there is a small good one in April (basc) at Catton park)we go every year, still 2 hours away but we enjoy it
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 11:17:50 PM »
There are a few field trials in late July/August/September (on rabbits) but the bulk of trials are held from October when the pheasant season starts. Novice trials will be held up until the season finishes on 1st February, Opens finish before the Championships in January. Spectators are allowed at most trials at the discretion of the secretary/organiser so you really need to contact them in advance to check arrangements; I would not take a pet dog. There are scurries and working tests throughout the spring and summer at most game fairs and also organised by various gundog clubs. Most scurries are 'have a go' and can be entered by anyone with any breed of dog, the club tests are often divided by breed or breed type (AV spaniel/retriever/HPR) and have to be entered in advance. Both scurries and tests use dummies as opposed to live game so are not entirely authentic but are fun nonetheless.

It would be extremely difficult if not impossible for a show Cocker to compete in field trials (and also most working Cockers). Trialling dogs need massive amounts of natural drive and speed as well as intensive training, they're not your average pet dog - I have one. My 5 year old bitch is a Field Trial Champion, she was handled by a professional trainer, and she's a totally different kettle of fish to even my 'normal' working dog. She's wonderful, but not an easy dog to live with. Trials are elite competitions, highly competitive, and relatively very few dogs are capable of succeeding at that level. They're amazing to watch, if you look at the websites of the various KC affiliated gundog clubs and/or the KC field trials diary later in the year you'll almost certainly find a trial being held somewhere near you in the autumn/winter.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Carolynleah

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 09:50:45 AM »
My son enters trials with his springers, and has done quite well ~ hoping for better next year.  His springers are completely driven, they live in kennels (heated in winter) and would be a nightmare in the house   >:( :lol2: He uses them for beating with a couple of local shoots.  He started with a cocker, but she was too noisy, hence she now lives with me  :005:
We go to the local game fairs, he enters the scurries with his Labrador, and hopefully this year I will enter my young Labrador too - can't enter Nerys the cocker as she would probably disappear over the horizon!  our local Game Fair (Bodelwyddan) hosts a competition, and I find it very interesting to watch the dogs work.

Offline Debs46

• Willow 15/04/13
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 08:55:23 AM »
Hi, my O/H does trialling, and he started off by joining a local gundog club.  He went along to trials etc. to help which gives you a really good idea of what goes on.  Dogs other than competing dogs are not allowed on the event.  Most gundog societies run training sessions which you can take any gundog to, and this would enable you to see how your dog reacts.  These are usually held in the spring (April/May) time.  If you go on the kennel club website you can get a list of all the gundog societies, and find one closest to you. Hope this helps.