Author Topic: Book recommendations  (Read 4963 times)

Offline martindd

Book recommendations
« on: May 12, 2014, 09:36:19 PM »
Hello
My names Martin I've just bought a working cocker,you may well be sick of my questions soon!
I'm looking for book recommendations regarding trading for working,I'm joint a small rough shoot later this year.
I've previously read training spaniels by Joe Irving,are there any other you'd recommend for a novice?
Thanks Martin.
Here is he the pup with no name(suggestion welcome)

Offline Gwen_A

• Donator
  • Alan's Gwen
Re: Book recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 10:03:19 PM »
I purchased "Training the Working Spaniel" from Amazon...  http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1846890705/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1

But lots of information to read or download and print online Martin. such as ...  http://totallygundogs.com/gundog-training/

and the excellent Felstead Gundogs site... http://totallygundogs.com/gundog-training/

He is lovely and just like my Gwen must have looked like when she was a pup... now 5 years she is not actually true worker or show, rather a mixture I think... she does not have the flat Springer type head, but does carry her short ears higher...  she retrieves live game naturally from our local ponds and lakes, and has quickly learned, (or re-learned ?) whistle commands.

Alan.
formerly AlandBina

Offline Gwen_A

• Donator
  • Alan's Gwen
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 10:05:45 PM »
Wrong link for the Felstead site Martin... this is the correct one...

http://www.felsteadgundogs.com/workingcockerspanielsaspets.htm

Alan.
formerly AlandBina

Offline martindd

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 10:06:33 PM »
Thankyou

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 10:07:49 PM »
hi Martin
we have a 3yr old worker which is our first spaniel. we have trained her ourselves and she accompanies us on shoots. A book we used was "  Training the working spaniel" by Janet Menzies. But we made a point of attending game fairs and country shows with her and picked the brains of everybody we could get to talk to us, breeders, trainers, joe public, watched gun dog displays and then nabbed the person in charge. you will find most will spend the time talking dogs. All the advice was taken and put into practice. you will find some opinions will contradict but you pick the one best for you. Our Gemma does us proud when we put her to work. You have some exciting times ahead

ps your pup is beautiful
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 10:16:37 PM »
I have Joe irving's book and Janet Menzies's. And I've supplemented them with group classes at local working spaniel club and 121s with a trainer as I think it really helps having others to help and watch what you're doing/not (before things go wrong).  Enjoy!
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 12:40:39 AM »
I can't recommend any books but wow he is gorgeous  :luv: :luv:

We have Bonnie, black worker, who looked exactly like him as a pup. We always thought we'd get a second cocker and call him Clyde but that's not going to happen now so i think your little boy would make a great Clyde.....total outlaws are cockers :005:  :005:

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 08:24:31 AM »
No book suggestions , just to say he is lovely  :luv: :luv:
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline Welsh cocker

• Wilma
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 11:08:59 AM »
Spitting image of my puppy Wilma.
The working cocker by peter jones was recommended to me. He breeds and works the Maesydderwen line (which has many ftch)...judging by the looks of your boy he may have relatives from that line himself.
Google maesydderwen spaniels for links to book.

Offline Gwen_A

• Donator
  • Alan's Gwen
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 12:42:34 PM »
Diolch for that info Welsh Cocker... I will certainly take a look at that one... interesting that according to that site and also photos in Janet Menzies  book, not all workers neccesarily have the typical Springer type flat wide head, but can also have the domed skull similar to the show type ?

Gwen for example has a slightly domed skull, but her ears start above her eye line, which I thought perhaps indicated a cross worker/show dog... she hardly ever barks and is a very calm and steady girl and works naturally, again traits of a worker rather than a show Cocker.

I can't check pedigree as the sheep farmer I purchased her from as an adult (five year old) is dragging feet over paperwork... though I am not too fussed if  "dodgy" pedigree as she is such a sweetheart it will make no difference to me, and I consider that she was worth every penny I paid for her temperament alone... :)

Alan.
formerly AlandBina

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 01:07:13 PM »
What a handsome little boy. :luv: No suggestions for training, but I like the name Scout for a working dog
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline Welsh cocker

• Wilma
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 07:30:34 PM »
Diolch for that info Welsh Cocker... I will certainly take a look at that one... interesting that according to that site and also photos in Janet Menzies  book, not all workers neccesarily have the typical Springer type flat wide head, but can also have the domed skull similar to the show type ?

Gwen for example has a slightly domed skull, but her ears start above her eye line, which I thought perhaps indicated a cross worker/show dog... she hardly ever barks and is a very calm and steady girl and works naturally, again traits of a worker rather than a show Cocker.

I can't check pedigree as the sheep farmer I purchased her from as an adult (five year old) is dragging feet over paperwork... though I am not too fussed if  "dodgy" pedigree as she is such a sweetheart it will make no difference to me, and I consider that she was worth every penny I paid for her temperament alone... :)

Alan.

Very similar to Gwen, Wilma has a domed shape head with ears above her eye line. She never barks, is laid back, but showing good instincts for her age. She has strong working lines on both her parents sides but when I traced her genes shed has got some mixed worker-show breeding on her mums side (4 generations ago). I think that explains her looks...might be same for Gwen.