Author Topic: First session with a trainer!  (Read 4449 times)

Offline Krisdt

• Site Member
First session with a trainer!
« on: May 19, 2007, 12:00:29 PM »
I have booked us in with a gun dog trainer for a 1 -2 -1 session and was wondering what to expect (other than an ear bashing for having him too soft  ph34r ) I was also wondering what you think I would need to take with us. I know each trainer will be different but I would prefer to go with to much stuff than not have some basic thing.

Cazzie

Re: First session with a trainer!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 12:09:51 PM »
You will only need you're whistle (on a larnyard) a slip lead and you're dog.  ;)

You wont get an ear bashing for having him too soft at least you shouldnt if the trainer is worth his salt. The first lesson normally is to see what you want to do with you're dog & to see how you handle him. Its probably going to be back to basics depending on how advanced you're dog is.

I will say it should be enjoyed by both you and the dog. I have been to lots of gun dog trainers and took me years to find one that I liked. Also make sure he show's you what to do as it's easier seeing it put in to practice (thats what I found).

Let us know how you get on and remember it should be firm but kind methods used.  ;)

Offline Krisdt

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 12:29:09 PM »
We havent got a whistle (it should be delivered on monday morning though)  ph34r
The guy we are going to was recommended to me on another forum but beofre I had a chance to find his details he actually contacted me. He sounds nice and everyone who recommended him said he is firm but fair. I decided to see a trainer as I have never tarined a gundog before and all the trainers I knew of only do obedience and agility and I thought it would be good for Loki to have a try. I did say that he is first and foremost my pet so that he wouldnt see me getting stressed if he wasnt championship material (but that would be an added bonus  ;) )

Cazzie

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 12:53:01 PM »
I have 3 gun dogs. 1 fully trained and 2 in training, but they are first and foremost pets. My dogs really enjoy working. Even if you may never get the chance to work you're dog (although I would recommend you do in the future) its a great grounding for them.

Do you have anyone that you can meet up with that has working dogs?

Offline Krisdt

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 01:06:26 PM »
I dont think there is anyone else near me with workers who I could meet. The trainer also breeds and works his dogs (cockers included) so I guess he would be the best for us at the mo. I have  joined a couple of other sites with forums on gundogs and have been trying to find out who is near but most seem to be a fair way from us.
I would like to work Loki in the future (obviously not for a while, he is only 9 months and needs alot of work) so thought we should at least attempt to do a good job on the training  :shades:

Cazzie

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 01:11:18 PM »
Well you are more than welcome to come up here when we all get together anytime. Wish you all the best with you're training.  ;)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 05:54:15 PM »
Good luck with the lesson. Loki is still very young though so I wouldn't be overdoing things with him just yet, many folk don't start proper training until the dog is almost a year old or more. Alfie didn't have his first 'proper' lesson until he was just over a year so there's loads of time to get him right  ;)
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Krisdt

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 09:02:33 PM »
Thanks Nicola, I am not expecting too much just a push in the right direction  ;) Its KW from NOBS who I am going to see. I was just a bit worried as I read the gun dog broadsheets and from what they recommend we are a little behind for where we should be. I am starting to look forward to the session now (my dad is coming along 'just to make sure we get there'  ::) its really so he can see what to do when he gets his dog  :005: )

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 10:05:31 PM »
Thanks Nicola, I am not expecting too much just a push in the right direction  ;) Its KW from NOBS who I am going to see. I was just a bit worried as I read the gun dog broadsheets and from what they recommend we are a little behind for where we should be. I am starting to look forward to the session now (my dad is coming along 'just to make sure we get there'  ::) its really so he can see what to do when he gets his dog  :005: )

I'm sure you'll have a great time and learn a lot  :D  The broadsheets are great but they're just guides as well so don't panic thinking you're 'behind' or that you 'should' be doing certain things just because your dog is X months old. You have to go at the rate that's right for you and most importantly, for your dog and make sure that ALL the basics are 100% before trying anything else, even if this takes months. I know there are dogs out there who are running in competitions before their 1st birthday and if they're really ready by then then fine but personally I think that there's no big rush to do this. I'd rather take my time, keep things relaxed and pace myself according to the individual dog. Between about 7 and 12 months I did very little in the way of serious training with Alfie as he just wasn't 'in the right place' for it mentally and I didn't want to push him with things he wasn't ready for and potentially ruin a good dog. Now that he's a bit older things are really starting to click into place and he truly enjoys his training and learning new things which is fab although we still have a long way to go  :D  He's now 16 months and he should be ready to go out a few times this coming season for an introduction to proper work but even then I won't be expecting him to work perfectly as it will be his first season and all very new to him.

Offline flozac

• Inactive
  • I must be even madder!!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 08:35:56 PM »
Just take yourself your whistle and a slip lead and Kev will keep you right. He is a friend of mine mad as a hatter but one of the kindest blokes I know.

Also I could arrange to meet you if you want as I live in Durham. We could meet half way somewhere. Or if you let me know when you are going to Kevins I could meet you there on one of your visits.
#
enjoy your training.
Nicola,Zac,Jess,Floss,Scout,Ciara and baby Reiver

Offline Krisdt

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 08:48:55 PM »
Thanks Nicola. We went yesterday and have homework which we started on today. We didnt get our slip lead and whistle till this morning but he let us use one of his leads and we didnt need a whistle. I was really nervous but he was really clear and took time to make sure we knwe what we were doing. Loki showed how naughty he can be within 5 mins of getting there (even more he has ever been) >:D but kev soon had us believing we can get sorted. Loki was a bit scared of him but I think thats more as he isnt used to getting told off  :embarassed: But he had a poor old woman frantic running round her  :embarassed: so needed to be told off but I was too embaressed to do anything I just froze. 
Kevin reckons it could take a couple of weeks to get him used to serious training but not to worry if it takes longer and just to call him once he has perfected heel.
I dont think its going to take long with the whistle. I was at my mams earlier and Loki was out with my dad (I had gone to help my mam) I hadnt heard them come in and thought it would be a good idea to see what the whistle was like but as soon as I did the recall 'peeps' he came running up to me and plonked himself at my feet  :luv:

Offline anita96

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 10:27:33 PM »
Well done, they always look a little shocked when you start asking them to do things when they are used to getting away with it.  The most important thing is to enjoy it and take it easy with him, the trainer I go to always said that he was glad he wasn't married to me because my growly voice scared him let alone the dog!!!!
Working Cockers aren't mad it's the owners!!!

Offline Danni n Betty

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 10:33:57 PM »
Wow!  :shades:

I'd love to try this with Betty, not sure how well she'd cope though  ::)  does the trainer handle your dog, or just tell you how to do it? Think she'd be OK with that.
Also, how did you find a trainer? Not sure there would be many in Liverpool ;)

Good Luck with your next sesion :D

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 10:34:38 PM »
Well done, they always look a little shocked when you start asking them to do things when they are used to getting away with it.  The most important thing is to enjoy it and take it easy with him,

Totally agree  :D  Really glad you enjoyed your first session, it's really good to get a professional view on things and also just to have someone objective to tell you what you're doing right and what you're doing not so right! Keep at it with the whistle and he should get the hang of it really quickly, he seems like a bright wee boy  :shades: :luv:

Offline Krisdt

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 07:38:35 AM »
Wow!  :shades:

I'd love to try this with Betty, not sure how well she'd cope though  ::)  does the trainer handle your dog, or just tell you how to do it? Think she'd be OK with that.
Also, how did you find a trainer? Not sure there would be many in Liverpool ;)

Good Luck with your next sesion :D

The trainer handled him first to show me how then got me to do it whilst he was right next to me, then he got me to walk away and when he didnt behave told me verbally how to do it then kept watch on me till I got it right then he praised me (not in a patronising way just a 'thats it now keep going')
I found the trainer through the NOBS forum I basially posted asking for tips and hints and within an hour had loads of offers of help and a pm from the trainer who lives close to me.