Author Topic: yey  (Read 2680 times)

Offline James

• Site Member
yey
« on: May 23, 2007, 07:38:31 PM »
Stella has always been quite apprehensive about water she was fine with a lil paddle but if she ever slid or fell in she wouldn't be happy, don't think she really understood she had to use her back legs as well as front any way today the river was finally in quite a good condition after months of it being to fast! and I took her down to a bay kinda bit. I chucked a retrieval toy in the margins and she tried reaching it from the bank then slid in just further enough to get it then brought it back then basically i did them further and further and by the end she was swimming out to the middle of the river for retrievals :D

o and another thing there is an electrician near us who trains gundogs and hes coming to look at some electrical stuff next week little does he no he is going to be kidnapped and forced to help with some training lol

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: yey
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 07:41:50 PM »
Well done Stella!!  :shades: :D :luv:

You do realise of course that now you won't be able to get her out of the water... and the muddier it is the more they like it!  :lol: :lol:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 11:55:05 PM »
Well done Stella and James.  :D  Can you come and do the same with Coco please?  :shades:  I have tried your method but she still refuses to go out of her depth  >:(  I have lost numerous toys, sticks and balls trying to tempt her into deeper water but so far no luck  :-\

Julie and Watson

Offline James

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 04:40:54 PM »
lol she goes in the ditches which only go up to her belly and comes out black  :lol:

one way which may do it is if you get her really exited do a couple of land retrievals and make a big deal out of it then chuck the retrieval into the water may work  :blink:

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 05:11:41 PM »
Well done James & Stella :clapping:

Cazzie

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 05:19:52 PM »
Well done what a brave girl  :luv: , you'll never keep her out now hopefully. My Sweepie doesnt go in the water yet but im not forcing her. Let us know if you get some free lessons  ;)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 07:46:34 PM »
My Sweepie doesnt go in the water yet but im not forcing her.

well done

Fern is the same and only goes in as long as she can feel the bottom  :005: i'm not forcing her either, and definately not chucking her in

Offline pupdaddy

• Site Member
  • What you lookin' at?
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 04:03:25 PM »
Try attaching a dummy to the other end of a training line and throwing it in - be prepared to have to wade in if it gets tangled though!!
Robin & Emma & Jarvis

Offline Boof

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 04:05:26 PM »
Well done Stella.  :luv:

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 04:25:02 PM »
Try attaching a dummy to the other end of a training line and throwing it in - be prepared to have to wade in if it gets tangled though!!

I did try that with one of Coco's toys last summer - didn't work  :-\  I think the only solution for her is to have a swimming mad friend to play with and a very hot day  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 08:56:18 PM »

I did try that with one of Coco's toys last summer - didn't work  :-\  I think the only solution for her is to have a swimming mad friend to play with and a very hot day  ;)

Nah - Fern went on a COL meet and all dogs I think went in except from her  :005:

Nicola got a fantastic pic of her tho watching the others swimming  ;)

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 10:06:43 PM »

Nah - Fern went on a COL meet and all dogs I think went in except from her  :005:

Nicola got a fantastic pic of her tho watching the others swimming  ;)

Oh bum, don't say that   :-\  I even went swimming in the river myself last summer and she still wanted to stay in the shallow end  ::) I am sure she is gradually getting more confident though and it will happen one day  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 04:03:42 PM »
once upon a time a person who I wont name for legal reasons was poaching the river and they were using a net.. the end of the net fell in the water so it was hauled back to the other bank the end tied to the spaniels collar and the spaniel sent across to the other side.  where the net was then untied and then laid carefully. then the two spaniels were sent into the water to drive the fish towards the sunk net.
 at the end of the day no fish were caught the elusive salmon outwitted poachers and dogs alike but it was a good day out.
the keeper walked the bank the next day and saw all the flattened grass and knew fine what had gone on ( but not who or how!)
 country life is great is it not?!! ;) :005: