Author Topic: Dipping My Toes  (Read 10633 times)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: Dipping My Toes
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2007, 09:50:04 PM »
Cazzie, I know Indie would be capable, but I don't think I am, I just don't seem to be very good at training her ;) ph34r

Well Emma you can have a good laugh at me as I feel the same way as you do (what you posted above  ph34r )  and I'm going on this training thing with Cazzie, Nicola and freya (Crazyspaniels) I'm heading to make a right fool of myself  ph34r  but hey ho I'll never learn if i don't try  ;)

Cazzie

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2007, 09:50:31 PM »
emma, i do think you're underestimating just what YOU can achieve with indie. i think you just might surprise yourself ;) go on. give it a go.

Yeah I think you should give it a go

Nothing ventured nothing gained , plus you'll get loads of help from COL if you need it

What about you and Billy Jan  ;)

Cazzie

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2007, 09:51:42 PM »
Cazzie, I know Indie would be capable, but I don't think I am, I just don't seem to be very good at training her ;) ph34r

Well Emma you can have a good laugh at me as I feel the same way as you do (what you posted above  ph34r )  and I'm going on this training thing with Cazzie, Nicola and freya (Crazyspaniels) I'm heading to make a right fool of myself  ph34r  but hey ho I'll never learn if i don't try  ;)

Caroline trust me Im a doctor  :005: You will not make a fool of yourself. Have faith woman and be positive  ;)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2007, 09:55:31 PM »

Caroline trust me Im a doctor  :005: You will not make a fool of yourself. Have faith woman and be positive  ;)

You just want to win the BET  :005: (bet is me and fern will be worst there  ;) )  I have more to lose than you three I have one of his offspring  :shades:

Cazzie

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2007, 09:59:55 PM »
Caroline where the heck do you think Sweepie came from  :005:

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2007, 10:01:26 PM »
Caroline where the heck do you think Sweepie came from  :005:

Opps - um erm too much wine tonight  ph34r sorry

Been celebrating son back from his activity week away un scathed (sp)  ;)

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2007, 10:09:31 PM »
emma, i do think you're underestimating just what YOU can achieve with indie. i think you just might surprise yourself ;) go on. give it a go.

Yeah I think you should give it a go

Nothing ventured nothing gained , plus you'll get loads of help from COL if you need it

What about you and Billy Jan  ;)

I am working on a few  basic things at the minute  ph34r

I have a lot of admiration of those of you who work your cockers  :shades:

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2007, 02:25:00 AM »
  At 4 do you think shes too old to be re-trained? 

Never too late! Crackers was 4 when I started her on birds.  ;) Like Nicola said, get a whistle and start working on recalls, start doing some retrieves with bumpers (I use the cloth kind that have a pocket where you can stick a wing to get them used to it) and having her deliver it to your hand. Crackers was started on pigeons, they are dizzied so they won't fly, then planted in a field and the dog sent to find them. Let her know what an amazing wonderful thing she's done but insist she give the bird back!  :005:

Just start slow, it has to be broken down into steps for the dog, but once they figure out what the object of the "game" is, you'll be amazed at how much they are be able to focus.  Spaniels "faults" in the field usually result from over-enthusiasm!  :005:

I wish I could go with you all!  :'( It would be a blast! (And I want to see this cute trainer too!  ph34r :005:)

And don't forget, dogs were put on this earth to make fools of us so expect it and laugh it off!  :lol:

The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Rich

• Site Member
  • Pip
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2007, 09:31:10 AM »
Hi all I'm new to the forum.

But am experienced in gundog training (mostly Labs)
I have just got my first Cocker pup (pip) to train for shooting/Beating etc..

Have you seen the Simon Tyres set of 4 gundog training DVDs. An absolute must for Cocker training in my opinion....

:D

Cazzie

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2007, 09:35:27 AM »
Hi Rich  :blink:

Not seen these but have watched a few others, they are so expensive to buy these training dvd's  >:D

Offline Rich

• Site Member
  • Pip
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2007, 09:44:54 AM »
Hi

Yeah they are expensive but for me it's a small price to try to get things right from the start as bad habbits are not easy if at all
posible to correct sometimes... :D

Cazzie

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2007, 09:49:19 AM »
Hi

Yeah they are expensive but for me it's a small price to try to get things right from the start as bad habbits are not easy if at all
posible to correct sometimes... :D

Youre right.  ;) Iim lucky though my good freind is  Pro Gun Dog trainer  :blink:

Offline Rich

• Site Member
  • Pip
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2007, 09:57:56 AM »
The difference to most cocker DVDs and Simon Tyres is he does start them so young.

Most advice you see or read is start them at 7-12 months etc.But his are almost fully trained by then
and his exceptional dogs are starting to look at trailing.

He won the open this year with one of his dogs at 15 months old........ :D

Cazzie

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2007, 10:13:19 AM »
The difference to most cocker DVDs and Simon Tyres is he does start them so young.

Most advice you see or read is start them at 7-12 months etc.But his are almost fully trained by then

I wouldnt be confident enough to participate in trials but do love to watch the dogs but suppose you have to start somewhere. I alway's start training pups from day one regardless of breed. These people like Simon had a special gift in training dogs its something that comes from within along with years and years of practice. Its not something he just picked up on out of a book. I respect these people greatly.  :blink:

Offline Rich

• Site Member
  • Pip
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2007, 10:17:08 AM »

I wouldnt be confident enough to participate in trials but do love to watch the dogs but suppose you have to start somewhere. I alway's start training pups from day one regardless of breed. These people like Simon had a special gift in training dogs its something that comes from within along with years and years of practice. Its not something he just picked up on out of a book. I respect these people greatly.  :blink:

I agree they make it look easy. :005: