Author Topic: Dipping My Toes  (Read 10634 times)

Cazzie

Re: Dipping My Toes
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2007, 10:20:40 AM »
Rich

You need to introduce yourself in the welcome section and tell us about all you're dogs and post some pictures. Would love to hear about you're labs  :blink:

Offline Krisdt

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2007, 10:24:10 AM »
Em we are just starting training now (Loki is aworking type) but we are only doing it for fun. I am just going to enjoy it and if he doesnt become a perfect worker then I honestly wouldnt mind, as he is a pet dog I am doing it purely for his mental stimulation. My advice as a fellow 'toe dipper' is have fun thats the main aim in our training.

Offline Rich

• Site Member
  • Pip
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2007, 10:25:00 AM »
Rich

You need to introduce yourself in the welcome section and tell us about all you're dogs and post some pictures. Would love to hear about you're labs  :blink:

I will do   not sure about people wanting to know tho :005:

Offline Rich

• Site Member
  • Pip
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2007, 10:28:09 AM »
Em we are just starting training now (Loki is aworking type) but we are only doing it for fun. I am just going to enjoy it and if he doesnt become a perfect worker then I honestly wouldnt mind, as he is a pet dog I am doing it purely for his mental stimulation. My advice as a fellow 'toe dipper' is have fun thats the main aim in our training.

For me i have read training books etc.  But i find it so much easier to relate to Dvd's so you can see examples etc

Or maybe im stupid :005:

Cazzie

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2007, 10:31:25 AM »

Thats the main thing is to enjoy it as there is no point in doing it  ;) My dogs do however work in the shooting field and come out rough shooting with me although its only a few months in the year its sill a good grounding for them dicipline wise. They absolutely love it  :blink: and it brings many tears to my eyes to watch them watching me waiting to be told what to do next. They are so happy when they do things to please you.  :blink:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2007, 11:17:54 AM »
Rich

I will do   not sure about people wanting to know tho :005:

Go on! Say hello properly!!  :police: :lol:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2007, 04:44:23 PM »
The difference to most cocker DVDs and Simon Tyres is he does start them so young.

Most advice you see or read is start them at 7-12 months etc.But his are almost fully trained by then
and his exceptional dogs are starting to look at trailing.

He won the open this year with one of his dogs at 15 months old........ :D

Hi Rich and welcome to the forum  ;)

I've just been leant Spaniel Traning class DVD's featuring Edward Martin (puppy to 8 months and 8 months to Adult) not watched them yet as only got them today

Offline Rich

• Site Member
  • Pip
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2007, 07:18:19 PM »
The difference to most cocker DVDs and Simon Tyres is he does start them so young.

Most advice you see or read is start them at 7-12 months etc.But his are almost fully trained by then
and his exceptional dogs are starting to look at trailing.

He won the open this year with one of his dogs at 15 months old........ :D

Hi Rich and welcome to the forum  ;)

I've just been leant Spaniel Traning class DVD's featuring Edward Martin (puppy to 8 months and 8 months to Adult) not watched them yet as only got them today

If you do get the chance to buy/borrow Simon Tyres Dvd's please look at them i think they are superb and they are in my opinion the best training Dvd of all breeds
i have seen...... :o

Cazzie

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2007, 10:36:41 PM »
You on commission Rich  :005: :005:

Offline Rich

• Site Member
  • Pip
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2007, 08:25:41 PM »
You on commission Rich  :005: :005:

I wish      i just think its that good.... :shades:

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2007, 03:57:31 PM »
 cazza that pup in edward martins vid is strathfleet zimba aka wallace.. a ( strathfleet) rogart dog!!! rolos  1/2 brother! and simons winning dog , kenny, timsgarry barlow.. is sutherland/rogart  lines too down the sires line.. kirkstall lever is a keepers dog hes called toby and hes liaths father and rolos mothers father too ( litter sisters)he was put to norleigh cocoa producing norleigh ceilidh and norleigh clune bothe ftchs one rols granny and one kennys grandfather.
so the small rogart dogs do get about!..
 and .....
 emma not all dogs flush and retrieve. up here they like the spaniels for flushing at shoots and the pickers up come behind with a mix of dogs spaniels and labs mostly.
if you are rough shooting ie rabbits then your dog will flush and retrieve.
 and I was told at the skibo shoots last year a lot of dogs were being worked on long lines when flushing so you could do that. In fact when they are short of dogs it can be just you with a stick and the odd dog to poke its nose in here and there..
 a lot of estates here struggle to get beaters during the season as everyone works..some folk only want their dogs to pick up..horses for courses.. ;)

Cazzie

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2007, 04:57:16 PM »
I wish Id been born the daughter of a famous gun dog trainer  :shades: I love that cocker Timsgarry Barlow I have a picture of him on my notice board  :luv: . I have the greatest of admiration for Mr Martin & his wife i envy their knowledge & experience, I would love to meet them one day  ;)

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2007, 05:39:23 PM »
yes I was born the daughter of a sheep dog trialer.. :005:
 but!! I found an old pic of my grandfather after ww1 before ww2 shooting with a working cocker ( they had loads of springers too) so am going to try and photoshop it so to print it out bigger.. Its one of those old sepia tiny jobs. and ..... hes got it on a long line with his foot firmly on the line as he takes his shot.. no daftie grandpa! it looks to be solid liver with a bit of white or grey on the muzzle.
 as soon as i get organised Ill post it  for you lot to have a squizz.
 cazzie did you ever fancy trialling? me I hate crowds but its getting more young ones involved all the time. theres a rogart girl dead keen to try with a rolo rellie hes a blue roan.. hope she does well hes still v young about a year if that.  actually theres a good highland turnout at these trials.. there was an article in the feild a couple of months ago it was good. it mentioned richard and his bad luck at the championships.. ;)

Cazzie

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2007, 06:15:58 PM »
Jean I have many an old photo of my clan  :005: They are all from the shetlands (crofters)  ph34r say no more. Would love to see youre old piccies.

Trials? Mmmm nor sure, I have a great dog at the moment to do it with but Im not confident enough. I was just talking about this today with a chap that does trial his dogs. I was saying to him there is not enough encouragement for newbies like me to get into it as the ones doing it are too intersted in winning themselves. But never say never. We should organise a trip up to you im sure the girlies and dogs would be up for that.  ;)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2007, 07:09:22 PM »
cazza that pup in edward martins vid is strathfleet zimba aka wallace.. a ( strathfleet) rogart dog!!! rolos  1/2 brother! and simons winning dog , kenny, timsgarry barlow.. is sutherland/rogart  lines too down the sires line.. kirkstall lever is a keepers dog hes called toby and hes liaths father and rolos mothers father too ( litter sisters)he was put to norleigh cocoa producing norleigh ceilidh and norleigh clune bothe ftchs one rols granny and one kennys grandfather.
so the small rogart dogs do get about!..

oooohhhh I'm even more excited to watch the vids now  ;) Last week never got a chance with being 'Mum's Taxi' service to get enough time to sit and watch them, so am hoping to do this on Sunday

Thanks for the added info it'll make it all the more interesting to watch  ;)