Author Topic: Another first today...  (Read 1430 times)

Offline pupdaddy

• Site Member
  • What you lookin' at?
Another first today...
« on: June 13, 2007, 11:51:34 PM »
Took Jarvis on his normal walk and whilst he was sniffling around in the hedge, he flushed his first pheasant! Gave me a hell of a shock and he obviously had a huge adrenalin rush as he couldn't stop yapping excitedly (this is a dog who very rarely barks). He dashed straight back in to try and find another one...

Took about an hour to calm down afterwards!!  :luv:
Robin & Emma & Jarvis

Cazzie

Re: Another first today...
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 11:58:19 PM »
I hope it wasnt a hen pheasant they are rearing young  ;)

Offline pupdaddy

• Site Member
  • What you lookin' at?
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 08:53:21 AM »
It was in the grass at the side of a field - as far as I know, it was a cock pheasant. I don't think Jarvis can tell the difference
Robin & Emma & Jarvis

Cazzie

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 09:03:06 AM »
It was in the grass at the side of a field - as far as I know, it was a cock pheasant. I don't think Jarvis can tell the difference

My dogs are kept away from places that have nesting birds at this time of the year or are kept on a lead, hen pheasants have a hard job raising their young and are not good mothers, once spooked there is a high chance they wont come back to their nest or young.
There are also many other ground nesting birds out there too doing the same.  :blink:

Offline pupdaddy

• Site Member
  • What you lookin' at?
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 09:09:40 AM »
It looked like this:

Not like this:

I'm satisfied that it was a cock pheasant. It was so close to the field anyway that had the dog been on a lead or behind me, either of us would've scared it anyway.
Robin & Emma & Jarvis