Author Topic: rough shooting & wildfowling - shotgun/firearms license  (Read 4236 times)

Cazzie

Re: rough shooting & wildfowling - shotgun/firearms license
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 11:52:15 PM »
Just to confirm you dont need a shotgun licence to shoot at a clay ground  ;)

Offline wrenside

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 11:55:49 PM »
Thanks Cazzie  :D

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007, 09:57:24 AM »
we rough shoot with our dogs and its totally different to any other form of training, we do it because we have access to alot of land but if you dont have ready access to a tract of land then rough shooting is very difficult to acquire, your best bet in my opinion is to learn to shoot at a clay club, seperate from your dog training and then maybe join a small synicate shoot next season, you can often find "working mans" syndicates in the shooting mags, we have advertised this year for a few spaces, this would get you shooting and if your dog was good enough by next season then you could take it with you - this would be more preferable to rough shooting. The difference being these are usually small shoots where everyone chips in to create the shoot, look after the birds and work their socks off, but then you get to shoot without tha massive expense.
On a different note to get a shotgun licence you must have a clean police record, and I mean clean, and also they check with your dr in case of any depression etc, but a firearms they are way stricter so I would start with a shotgun and then see how it goes, unless you have access to alot of land (due to the range of a bullet) you will not need a rifle.

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline flashpanther

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 02:57:18 PM »
Yes. I am going to have a go with a clay shooting session with tutorial. My first step. As to getting a shotgun license - I'm clean on both accounts (driving and police record) and always have been. Ultimately it would be nice to eventually be able to go out on my own with my dog and shoot while she flushes and retrieves. But considering the cost involved to get there as mentioned above with the expensive prices of shotguns, BASC membership, etc.... it would be nice to know if rough shooting opportunities would exist to me. I wouldnt want to spend all that time and money to then find out it has been all for nothing as no rough shooting opportunities would exist for me. That would be a shame and dampen my enthusiasm before I have even started. But best to find out if so or not before I do get in too deep only to be disappointed and out of pocket really.

Offline wrenside

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2007, 06:44:07 PM »
Andrew, good luck in your search for some rough shooting, I really hope you find something local to you, as there's nothing better than a day out shooting a mixed bag with a few close friends and a couple of well behaved dogs  :D I'm sure that you'll absolutely love it!
I do hope you enjoy Mike Smith's book, I've found it a wonderful read and am always dipping back into it for the odd tip or two  :shades:
Shooting clays is great fun and I think every new shot should train up on clays before aiming at the real thing  ph34r  ;)

Anyway, once again good luck  :blink:

Best wishes

Mary