Author Topic: Beating?  (Read 4058 times)

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
Beating?
« on: July 14, 2008, 11:28:51 PM »
After a discussion about training in the woods tonight, there is a faint chance I might be invited to go beating with Louie (he is 1/4 worker) - can you give me some tips what we may have to do and/or preparation? 

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Cazzie

Re: Beating?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 11:36:50 PM »
Can I ask before I give you my advice is Louie trained to the gun or had any gun dog training :D

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 11:48:07 PM »
I think I know where Cazzie is going with this question and agree completely  :shades:

The gun has to be introduced carefully so you don't make him gunshy, which will make him useless for work  :-\ I'd make sure these are very experienced gun dog trainers and not just casual "weekend warriors"
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 11:53:52 PM »
Can I ask before I give you my advice is Louie trained to the gun or had any gun dog training :D

None at all, which is why I asked  :-\ I didn't think for a minute I could just turn up and take part, both men know Lou and his level of training  ph34r and although he is pretty bomb-proof with loud noise, he has not been close up with a shoot.  

I hoped that maybe with their guidance I might perhaps have a go in the future but be able to take him from a distance in the first instance  :-\  The eldest might help with training if I were to encourage the idea a bit more but want to know more about what we'd be taking on

Cazzie

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 12:01:08 AM »
I think I know where Cazzie is going with this question and agree completely  :shades:

The gun has to be introduced carefully so you don't make him gunshy, which will make him useless for work  :-\ I'd make sure these are very experienced gun dog trainers and not just casual "weekend warriors"

Not as such, but the reason I asked is an untrained dog can quite easily ruen a drive, any dog on a paid driven shoot must be 100% steady in all aspects, says Carol with Miss Sweepie  :lol2: But the difference is, I do alot of rough shooting with Will so if sweepie mucks something up its not a distaster. If it was me I would attend the shoot and beat without your dog, if you enjoy your day which Im sure you will then it will give you something to work to with your dog.  :D

Beating on a shoot involves the following:

Walking through all aspects of cover, driving birds towards the guns, dealing and handling of game, enjoying the countryside, meeting great people and learning about all aspects of countryside management. Shooting/gamekeeping is NOT all about killing there is so much more to it than that and anyone who tells you different deserves a slap.  :005:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 12:07:34 AM »
agree with Cazzie, go without Louis to the first shoot and see how you go from there ;)  Remember if you do decide to take Louis and are in the line with him he will definitely need to be on slip lead (no collars) unless he is 100 percent steady, and you will probably be going through some rough cover which will be difficult enough without an excited dog on a lead too  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 12:35:19 AM »
I agree with Helen and Carol, the ideal thing would be to go without him to see what it's all about.

The first time I introduced Crackers to the gun we stayed in the background (it was a training session for field trial springers) She had been worked on live birds before, and was pretty steady on her commands and zig-zag pattern.

I had a bag of pigeons, every time there was a guns shot I'd toss a pigeon for her. She was so keen on birds I think it took about 2 shots for her to figure out that a gun shot meant a birdie!  :005:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 01:03:44 AM »
Thanks all - I don't know whether tonight's conversation will lead to an invite but I might be able to encourage the possibility of a few training sessions, they seemed quite interested.  I end up walking at the same sort of times as about three working Springer owners who are becoming more friendly (and I think we earn some brownie points in that we are still there rain or shine.  ;)

One of them is about to collect his first cocker pup soon and I hope he's going to sign up here too  ;)

Fortunately a friend of the family is also a regular shoot person, his wife also beats and they have cockers too, so there are a couple of avenues if we did decide to give it a try.. (Their last litter of cocker pups sold all over the world but not sure of their affix but think they are pretty respected in the field round here )

Lou is pretty bomb-proof with loud noises but not steady to be off lead and in control, these guys know that hence I was a bit suprised at the hint of going with Lou  ;)

I'll keep you informed.  ;)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 08:01:25 AM »
I think the most important thing firstly is to see if you would like it and would be comfortable handling Lou on the line.  Of course that is dependent on the style of the shoot (the expensive ones can be very rigid and formal, fortunately I've been able to go on local shoots which are friendly and quite forgiving on novices). 

My SIL had a terrible shoot one saturday, the cover was incredibly dense - through neck high brambles in a woods via a thigh deep swamp - she slipped, and got all tangled up, her dog got confused and took off back (away from the guns) and she spent 3 hours trying to find a confused dog  :-\  Not all of the drives are like that, sometimes you get a nice piece of left maize field which is a piece of cake  :005:  Oh, and practice your barbed wire fence negotiating skills with Lou in one hand  :D
helen & jarvis x

Offline Wendy G

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 03:43:02 PM »
You will need a good stick, comfy wellies and preferably thorn proof coat and over trousers.
It can be hard work but very enjoyable

If you are out all day finding somewhere to go to the loo can be a problem, especially if you are the only female beater.
Wendy, Bailey & Stella

RIP Raisen, Badger,Murphy & Spud

Offline SJP

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 04:37:43 PM »
You need to check what MUD levels will be at these shoots, so that Louie doesn't get distracted  :rofl1:
Sally & Lola xxx

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 04:42:02 PM »
You need to check what MUD levels will be at these shoots, so that Louie doesn't get distracted  :rofl1:

:rofl1: :rofl1: :wasntme:

Think we could end up hiding in shame - hope that if we go they are informal  ph34r

Cazzie

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 06:08:52 PM »

It can be hard work but very enjoyable

Especially with a spaniel  :lol2: Im shattered after a days shooting with sweepie  :005:

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 04:44:40 PM »
Bit late here but look at the nobs site, that should tell you everything you need to know. www.nobs.org.uk
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline Dunk

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 01:36:18 PM »
Hi, Found this site and its Great...

Nice to see you interested in going beating! Its a great way to take your dog out and let it do what it enjoys doing.

I now have my Working cocker (Bramble)... She is great and real sweet.

See ya in the woods soon!

Dunk & Homer. . . oh and Bramble.