Author Topic: Book reccomendations  (Read 1737 times)

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
Book reccomendations
« on: October 12, 2008, 09:15:48 PM »
Can anyone reccomend a good book for teaching working dogs using positive methods? I'm not looking to do anything specific just want to teach her new things to keep her focused on me when on walks - especially in the woods where there are squirrels about  ::). She does a fantastic retrieve with a squeaky ball, will sit or stay down and wait while I throw it, will sit and wait while I hide it in some undergrowth, and will search for my OH when he runs off and hides with it  :005:.

Millie

Offline millrace

Re: Book reccomendations
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 09:20:46 PM »
eric begbie has a good training book not cocker specific but for gundog training in general,,worth a read!
you don't train a working cocker......you negociate!!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 09:36:20 PM »
There are a lot of good gundog training books but a lot of them do talk about things like scruffing etc. I treat them as I do most books, I take out the bits that apply to me and that I want to use and ignore the rest. 'Gundog Training Made Easy' by Eric Begbie as already mentioned is very good (and very concise which helps :005:). Other than that one a few I like are 'Training Spaniels' and 'Gundogs: Their Learning Chain' by Joe Irving and 'Gundogs: Training and Field Trials' by PRA Moxon although that one is quite advanced iykwim. Martin Deeley also has a couple of good books which are quite easy to follow.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 09:39:07 PM »
agree with Nicola, you can take the 'good' bits out of these books and leave the other stuff  ph34r

there is also 'Clicker Gundog training' by Helen Phillips  ;)

helen & jarvis x

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 09:40:55 PM »

now that is the next one I want

Agree with Nic about the books - I like Eric begbie  :D and joe Irvinebooks

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 06:21:10 AM »
Thanks guys  :D I'm making my Christmas wish list allready  :lol2:

Millie

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 02:33:20 PM »

now that is the next one I want

Is that this one? http://www.learningaboutdogs.com/acatalog/gundogbk.html  I bought it a few months ago but it really assumed you had read her other books, so I found it really difficult to understand.

It will probably just end up at a charity shop so if anyone would like it, PM me, and they can have it for about £4 just to cover postage.

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 02:46:27 PM »

Is that this one? http://www.learningaboutdogs.com/acatalog/gundogbk.html  I bought it a few months ago but it really assumed you had read her other books, so I found it really difficult to understand.

It will probably just end up at a charity shop so if anyone would like it, PM me, and they can have it for about £4 just to cover postage.

This has been taken now!  :005: Phew - I wont have to keep looking at it and feeling guilty that I havent read it!

PURDEY AND LUNA <3