Author Topic: Can Show cockers do gundog work?  (Read 3209 times)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Can Show cockers do gundog work?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 07:51:15 AM »
Be aware that what you class as positive training and what the trainer does may be completly different.
Jack went to two lessons with a "positive trainer", first went fine as it was a getting to know you type thing and the second was really not for me.
Jack had been in the car for an hour,I let him out when we got there and as I was talking to the trainer Jack was pottering about no more than 8ft from me. The trainer saw this as taking the p*** and that Jack should be sat at my feet. His training method was he wanted to pop a slip lead on Jack, tell him to hup and then pull it tight everytime he attempted to move until he stayed where he was told. He expected him to sit there for about 20mins,
jack was 6mths old and I got in the car and left.
I did teach jack to sit at my feet for long period of time but did it by building the time up slowly and using his ball as a reward for him staying there.
For gundog work there definetly is certain rules your dogs have to always follow and it can be hard getting the balance right.

if you're referring to my link Jack and Brie, the reason I stressed positive is because it's just that - I would not have linked otherwise  :shades:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 11:07:30 AM »
Be aware that what you class as positive training and what the trainer does may be completly different.
Jack went to two lessons with a "positive trainer", first went fine as it was a getting to know you type thing and the second was really not for me.
Jack had been in the car for an hour,I let him out when we got there and as I was talking to the trainer Jack was pottering about no more than 8ft from me. The trainer saw this as taking the p*** and that Jack should be sat at my feet. His training method was he wanted to pop a slip lead on Jack, tell him to hup and then pull it tight everytime he attempted to move until he stayed where he was told. He expected him to sit there for about 20mins,
I did teach jack to sit at my feet for long period of time but did it by building the time up slowly and using his ball as a reward for him staying there.
For gundog work there definetly is certain rules your dogs have to always follow and it can be hard getting the balance right.

if you're referring to my link Jack and Brie, the reason I stressed positive is because it's just that - I would not have linked otherwise  :shades:

No not at all, was refering to when people are looking for trainers and make phonecalls etc I have found "positive training" in the gundog world is very different to what would be called positive trainng in other areas. Luckily the OP has been given some fab links  ;) it was more for anyone else reading it who wanted to start doing some gundog work 

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 11:29:25 AM »

No not at all, was refering to when people are looking for trainers and make phonecalls etc I have found "positive training" in the gundog world is very different to what would be called positive trainng in other areas. Luckily the OP has been given some fab links  ;) it was more for anyone else reading it who wanted to start doing some gundog work 

you're absolutely right   ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2009, 03:06:39 PM »

Thanks for that info. I have to be realistic & not enter in to this believing everyone loves/treats for their dogs in the same way I do  :shades: . Their website does stress the points 'fun', 'hobby' & harsh & aggressive techniques are not used & all their trainers are registered. I'm hoping it will be all good but at least I'm now more informed & I've got some good advice on things to look out for...... thanks everyone  ;)

I have been to gundog training with 2 of my show cockers and they and I really enjoyed it. The trainer was very nice, I explained I had no intentions of going on shoots just wanted the training and he was fine with that, infact there were a small number of other people when I got there who also had the same idea. He did work his dog and he had a really good relationship with her. I kept mine with full coats because its quite a long job to get them up to working anyway. I'll say mine didn't have the drive the other working breeds had, especially those lovely biddable working springers but they learned to do lots of things and there were eager to learn. I started off with a free hour to see if I liked it.
Personally I'd give it a go, I thoroughly enjoyed it and the people were great.

Do you not do it anymore Blue girl?  :shades:  ;)
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!