Author Topic: Brie's first time on a shoot  (Read 3429 times)

Offline Mez

Brie's first time on a shoot
« on: January 18, 2010, 03:05:34 PM »
I had been asked to stand in for a gun who was unable to attend at the weekend,
so decided it would be a good opportunity to take little Brie along to experience the sights & sounds of a shoot.

She spent most of the day tethered on peg with me, she remained steady & quiet as birds were flushed over us, walking between drives she heeled beautifully & listened to every command I gave her, so as reward I allowed her to work the dyke's & hedgerows, where she flushed a couple of snipe again remaining steady as they flushed. :D

Through out the day she attracted lots of attention from everybody saying what a bonnie looking dog she was & even managed a few cuddles from one of the teenage beaters. :lol2:

One of the guns son's who is 7yrs old took a real shine to her & after one of the drives he was showing her a woodcock which had been shot, he gave her a short retrieve with it & after initially sniffing it & returning to me, I sent her back for it & she delivered it to hand which I was really pleased with as lots of dogs can be funny about picking up woodcock. :luv:

She did give just about every lab on the shoot a telling off for sniffing her bits & rightly so! :005:

All in I was really pleased with her & she was a little :angel:

Brie is not a natural retriever, however whilst training yesterday she made my day, by not only retrieving a cold pheasant for me but completing a blind retrieve with one & also making a marked retrieve from a fenced in area, which required her to jump a low fence on her return, she really is a little star & I'm so proud of her at the moment :luv: :luv:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Brie's first time on a shoot
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 03:29:13 PM »
I heard all this from another source  ;)  I think she did brilliantly, what a little starlet and a great start to her working career  :luv: :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 03:47:40 PM »
I also heard this already  :005:  :005: Way to go Brie  :banana: :banana: :banana:
Glad you had a good day, I'm suprised you made it after having drunken women  gossiping slurring in your house the night before  :005: ph34r

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 04:19:55 PM »
Way to go Brie you little star!!  :D :luv: :D

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 04:24:58 PM »
I also heard this already  :005:  :005: Way to go Brie  :banana: :banana: :banana:
Glad you had a good day, I'm suprised you made it after having drunken women  gossiping slurring in your house the night before  :005: ph34r

:005: :005:

He got a good nights kip I passed out on the sofa and slept with the dogs  ph34r

Never drinking again

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 04:25:37 PM »
Well done Brie wtg  :luv: :luv: what a clever girl.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline millrace

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 05:23:38 PM »
showing her a woodcock which had been shot,.......ummm and there was me thinking there was a complete ban on the shooting of waders (woodcock and snipe) :shades:
you don't train a working cocker......you negociate!!

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 05:30:54 PM »
showing her a woodcock which had been shot,.......ummm and there was me thinking there was a complete ban on the shooting of waders (woodcock and snipe) :shades:

its a voluntary ban and as this area has 100s of them one woodcock was allowed per person on the last drive and only four were shot  :shades:

Offline wrenside

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 05:43:52 PM »

its a voluntary ban and as this area has 100s of them one woodcock was allowed per person on the last drive and only four were shot  :shades:

Blimey! Didn't know about the ban!! Thank goodness it's voluntary otherwise we would be in the bad books!!  ph34r
I think we shot 5 woodcock and 6 snipe during two days of rough shooting we did over Christmas, although we saw about 25 woodcock and 19 snipe in all  :blink:

Cockers are fantastic at finding woodcock, we're not so good at managing to shoot them!  ::)

I too have heard that woodcock are difficult to pick, but our two cockers don't seem to have a problem with it.

Lovely to hear how well Brie is doing  :luv:

Mary xxx

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 05:47:49 PM »
BASC are only asking for restraint in england and wales if local conditions merit it  ;)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 05:57:43 PM »
I heard all this from another source  ;)  I think she did brilliantly, what a little starlet and a great start to her working career  :luv: :luv:

Same here, I think she's fab and off to a great start :shades: :luv:

Scotland's a bit different and there has been a Government imposed temporary ban on shooting woodcock and other waders/waterfowl up here this month, I think it was for 2 or 3 weeks and I'm not sure if it's been lifted yet but it only applies up here, I hadn't heard of a similar total ban down south. I haven't seen many woodcock in general around this area this season.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 06:05:27 PM »
Well, I know nothing about the ins and outs of shooting, but big congratulations to wee Brie for being so good....I remember one post where Jo said she was almost acheing to work, so its great that she's got the opportunity.  Well done little Brie  :luv:

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Mez

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 01:23:42 AM »

As others have already answered in England & Wales the suspension of shooting wildfowl & waders has been on a voluntary basis,
B.A.S.C were calling for restraint to be shown where local conditions merited it,
however in Scotland & Ireland the suspension was statutory, it has now been lifted in Scotland & Ireland's will be lifted 8am on Wednesday the 20th!

On the shoot I attended it was decided to allow a limit of one woodcock per person on the final drive of the day unless the opportunity for a left & a right presented itself, in which case both could be shot, snipe were to remain off limits, we also operated this system the previous week, before the voluntary suspension was put in place.

Thanks for all the positive comments regarding Brie's progress she really is doing well bless her :luv:

Offline nickycnc

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 07:53:48 PM »
Well done Brie....what a little star
Mum to 2 girls, Darcy & Charley

Offline milly

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 08:00:51 PM »
You must be so proud, she sounds like she did well bless her.
We've got 1 walked up shoot and beaters day left. I am so looking forward to next year and hope to get my little man out with me, I briefly toyed with the idea of taking him to beaters day but he isn't ready for it. Roll on next year, and think what a star Brie will be by then.
Milly