Author Topic: KC Gundog Training Days for Novice Handlers course - 4 locations/dates  (Read 3208 times)

Offline Petepreston

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/3646

I've booked Posie and myself on the Perth date.

She shows a lot of natural inclination and could do with the mental stimulation. Who knows, we may even try our hand at Field Trials.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Good luck with it and I really hope you and Posie enjoy it  ;)

Here's what you're aspiring to at Field Trial level  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhzsip61hHY

helen & jarvis x

Offline lindseyp

• Donator

don't think I'll open your link just yet Helen  ph34r   .......... after taking part in Toby's first 'fun' gundog test, I'm booking myself in for gundog test guide rules & etiquette training  :013:  ....... Toby did just fine but his handler needs help & this was at 'fun' level  :fear2: :doh:

My utmost respect to all those competing at field trial levels ......... a whole different ball game  :P
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Good luck with it and I really hope you and Posie enjoy it  ;)

Here's what you're aspiring to at Field Trial level  :D

don't think I'll open your link just yet Helen  ph34r   .......... after taking part in Toby's first 'fun' gundog test, I'm booking myself in for gundog test guide rules & etiquette training  :013:  ....... Toby did just fine but his handler needs help & this was at 'fun' level  :fear2: :doh:

My utmost respect to all those competing at field trial levels ......... a whole different ball game  :P

you've seen it Lindsey, it's Fatty in action  :lol2:

Yes indeed, it is a completely different level from working your dog or participating in gundog tests  ;)  Amazing to see these dogs REALLY work  :luv: (but then they are a different level of dog as well - as much as I love Jarv I know he could never have made it in field trials but he's absolutely perfect for my world  ;) )
helen & jarvis x

Offline spaniel04

I have just watched that little clip. Crikey, he must have had his heart in his mouth when that little bitch picked the first bird! I know i would have.  ph34r
Trialling dogs are in a league of their own, not always the easiest dogs, I have got one myself, a little springer. I'm not sure how good a pet dog she would be, to be honest.
Hope you enjoy your training day.  :D

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Trialling dogs are in a league of their own, not always the easiest dogs, I have got one myself, a little springer. I'm not sure how good a pet dog she would be, to be honest.

Caoimhe (OFTW) is the same, I do a lot of training with her but she has a professional trainer/handler for trials, it's a whole different ball game and they are exceptional dogs. She's a lovely dog to live with but only as long as she gets what she needs, it's a bit like owning a really really small Thoroughbred racehorse :lol2:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
I am thinking about going on on of Philippa Williams Gundog Holidays

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
Make sure you research who is running some of the fun courses... I went on one very useless and I think I might be barred if I said what I thought of him.. I did go back on day 2 but left after an hour or so as it just confirmed what I thought of him after day 1!

Admittedly the course I was on was aimed at pet dog owners.

I am not referring to the KC one as per the title of this thread though

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Petepreston

I suppose it depends on what your intentions are after the course. I don't really intend getting into Field Trials (too competitive) or shooting (not into killing animals) so if I get some pointers of what Posie is likely to benefit from, then I'll be happy.

In truth, it's also a little bit about doing something different with her. I'm hoping it's not too serious and that there is at least a couple of pet owners there.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Wow! just watched Sophie in action, what a stunning girl. 

Having seen the clip I now know Pearl has no natural inclincation what-so-ever, lets face it a spaniel who doesn't like rough grass and prefers not to get wet....... we're booked on a gun dog assessment tomorrow - this is going to be soooooo embarrassing! :doh:

Offline Petepreston

Re: KC Gundog Training Days for Novice Handlers course - 4 locations/dates
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 11:09:42 PM »
You never know... ;)

Good luck.

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 08:55:42 AM »
I suppose it depends on what your intentions are after the course. I don't really intend getting into Field Trials (too competitive) or shooting (not into killing animals) so if I get some pointers of what Posie is likely to benefit from, then I'll be happy.

In truth, it's also a little bit about doing something different with her. I'm hoping it's not too serious and that there is at least a couple of pet owners there.

That was just what I wanted too.  I'm sure yours will be more informative than mine was  >:(

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 09:14:20 AM »
Posie is probably a little too old to be thinking of starting to train her for field trials despite her natural ability (and as it is competitive AND involves shooting I don't think it's your bag for your gundog anyway  :D)  I don't suppose you looked at the link (involves shooting) but that is the level of control, speed and training required.  I only know one working cocker on here that has that level of ability and that is Caiomhe  :luv:

It will be interesting to hear how you and Posie find the gundog training  :D

helen & jarvis x

Offline spaniel04

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 10:36:20 AM »

don't think I'll open your link just yet Helen  ph34r   .......... after taking part in Toby's first 'fun' gundog test, I'm booking myself in for gundog test guide rules & etiquette training  :013:  ....... Toby did just fine but his handler needs help & this was at 'fun' level  :fear2: :doh:

My utmost respect to all those competing at field trial levels ......... a whole different ball game  :P

Oh dear, what did you do to upset the judge(s)??  :o I know that they can get quite miffed if you only as much as twitch without their permission.  :005: ;)

Offline Petepreston

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 11:31:54 AM »
I did try to watch the video, Helen, but it was making my eyes sore because the camera was twitching around so much.

I didn't realise that Field Trials were conducted with live shoots. I thought the point of competition was that all dogs had the same trial rather than being at the mercy of the birds and conditions. It reminded me of surfing competitions because they have to work with what they've got, and the dog/handler have to make the most of their beat.

I don't have a problem with shooting per se - I love guns - and people shooting for food or genuine pest control is fine by me. It's not something I want to do, but I know plenty of folk who do.

The KC course doesn't involve any shooting so that's not going to be a problem. I'll have to look into what other competitive options we have in that area, but this is more about adding something to Posie's repertoire. We still haven't got ourselves along to agility, but that is the most likely route well take for competition.

It just seems unfair to not give Posie the chance to do what her brain is clearly wired for. The training that she takes to the quickest is always relatable to flushing & fetching. She is, after all, a pup from a line of working dogs and FT competitors.