Author Topic: Training a gun dog for the novice  (Read 2797 times)

Offline Chrissy.C

Training a gun dog for the novice
« on: October 18, 2012, 01:57:21 PM »
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but I have a 16 week old working cocker bitch who I would predominantly like to train for beating, though to be able to retrieve would also be good. I have never owned a gun dog before let alone train one and am looking for a bit of advice to the following questions:-

1. I have been told by a dog trainer to wait until she is at least a year old before even thinking about this, but I have seen pups as young as 7 months retrieving on this forum. Should I wait or start sooner? When do I start?

2. Does anyone recommend any books on gun dog training that I can buy to help me start this training?

Offline black taz

Re: Training a gun dog for the novice
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 02:03:02 PM »
The Gun Dog Club do so very good books for training for grade 1 and 2.  I know most trainers say to wait until around 10 months but as long as you keep it short and fun it won't hurt.  I started training my lab to the whistle (for recall) from the day i got her.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 02:30:14 PM »
we have home trained our gemma to come with us beating. we got her at 10 months of age and started straight away. One book we found helpful was "training the working spaniel" by janet menzies. we also attended game shows,country fairs etc. anywhere there would be working dogs , to pick the brains of trainers and owners. it is surprising how much free help and advice you get if you show willinness and genuine interest. Gemma now 20 months old is with us on the beating line, flushing birds with the best of them, and knowing that she will only get better fills us with pride. She will retrive small game, a pheasant is a bit big for her as she a tiny cocker but she will get round that.
On saying all that, when we get our next pup (from new) our plan of action would be basic training then start adding the "extras" at about 6 months. but it depends on the dog. like people some are better learners than others. we have been spoilt by gemma, she was born  working, cannot switch her off.
Good beating, believe me it is so much more fun with a dog, especially when it is your own
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline redlottie

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 02:54:36 PM »
We started our first one Otto at 6 months with a gundog trainer but with Albie we started straight away at home and with a trainer from 5 months.

I guess providing its fun and you don't over do it any age is fine as some of the key principles are no different than teaching normal sit, down, recall etc that would be taught at a puppy class.

Offline Chrissy.C

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 04:43:15 PM »
Thank you to everyone. I will start slowly and hopefully she will be ok at it.

Offline Smokey 1

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 09:30:28 PM »
I started training Sydney when he came home at 12 weeks, retrieving playing etc. No sitting staying until 5 months you don't want to take the drive out of them. Hiding tennis balls in long grass and then walked him around the area so he uses his nose a lot, now it is hardly off the floor  :005: Different people have different ideas on what to do and what not to do but the biggest factor is the dog. For beating the main thing is steadiness followed by a rock solid recall, I can only imagine what goes through a dog mind when chasing 40 odd birds out of a pen towards the end of a drive.

There are some good videos on youtube by Kevin Powell from Shropshire Gundogs about some basics, or you could by the box set by Paul French and Simon Tyers specific to Cocker Spaniels.

Smokey
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 02:06:16 PM »
Like Smokey I start as soon as the pup is home, its the same training that every dog should have, sitting and recall being the main thing this is all done as fun or feeding.
Its difficult with retrieving as most pups want to run around with things and its very difficult to separate the playing from training, some trainers insist on no toys at all for pups unless its training time but this is very difficult if the pup is kept in the house and is also a pet. As I train with  tennis balls and dummies these are not allowed in the house but Teal does have all the normal puppy toys I just insist the no one chases her or plays tug and she is encouraged to give when appropriate.

At 16 weeks Teal gets only 1 or 2 retrieves a day, she is allowed to run in all very relaxed.

I will start Teals proper training at around 5 or 6 months depending on when I think she is mature enough, my first cocker Henry a show bred dog was brilliant at 6 months  Teal is nothing like Henry her head is all over the place and everything distracts her

The important part is to keep training sessions really short some 3 or 4 minutes in length maybe 3 or 4 times a day keep it all very  relaxed and fun with very young dogs
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline sgould548

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 06:47:13 PM »
Some good advice here.

To add, get the basics right first, sitting , stay, walking to heel off the lead, no squeaking whilst sitting at heel.

Get your trainers on and be ready to run catch ad bring your dog back if fails to answer a recall.

Get a whistle start with sitting for food with a short blast then slowly, slowly move on to quartering on the end of a line or reel lead, keeping the dog close