Author Topic: First time at agility...  (Read 1421 times)

Offline Lee67

• Site Member
First time at agility...
« on: November 03, 2007, 09:23:37 AM »
Poppy had an introduction to agility last week and she loved it.
There were 8 dogs in total, all different breeds, amongst them were 2 working cockers and a field spaniel.
Jumps, tunnel (she has my kids tunnel in the garden) and tyre were no problem, but when it came to the A frame and bridge they were a different story!
Poppy was the only dog to refused both of the contact equipment.
I thought OK, she doesn't want to do, no big deal...the trainer who was taking the class got me to walk her round the A frame whilst the other dogs were going over it, then he grabbed hold of Poppy's collar and forced her over it, again and again and again!!! He did the same thing with the bridge.
I didn't know what to do, I was thinking she doesn't want to do so why make her (I was on the verge of tears), but he was the professional dog trainer so he obviously knew what he was doing...right!!!

Well, after about 5mins, Poppy was going over both pieces of equipment off lead... :o
I was such a proud mummy, it was just like when my kids learnt to swim... :angel:

I know it could have gone soo wrong, but him making her confront her fear totally paid off.
Poppy won the prize for most improved and we got some weaving poles.

This week on OH has been making Poppy some jumps for the garden out of plastic tubing.
While were waiting for the classes to start we'll get in lots of practise... ;)

Lee & Poppy xx

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: First time at agility...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 09:28:12 AM »
I'm glad you both enjoyed it in the end - but tbh, I don't like the sound of the trainer at all  >:( 

If he is prepared to manhandle and force a scared dog like that, then what other risks is he going to take ?  Dogs (and handlers) can be injured and/or traumatised through poor agility training; do you know if he has any accreditation as a trainer ?

I am currently taking a break from Agility as I cannot find a class that I am comfortable with.........I would rather miss out than put my dogs at risk  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 09:39:57 AM »
I don't like the sound of that either  >:(  I don't think that all dog trainers do know what they are doing tbh and some of the stories I have read on COL bear this out :-\   I know it takes longer but I would much prefer to coax the dog and build up her confidence when learning something like this  ;)  When Coco was scared of these pieces, the trainer lead her over and coaxed her with a treat - at no time was she forced.  After a few goes, she was going over it fine too.  :luv: :luv:  Hope Poppy continues to enjoy agility anyway.  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline louise4

• Site Member
  • Cleo & Rolo
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 10:15:19 AM »
I would love to take Rolo to an agility class, does anybody know of any in the Central Scotland area? 

Offline silke

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 03:46:29 PM »
I'm not sure about the trainer, either, tbh. >:( We went somewhere like that once (never again, though, I just wasn't comfortable with it).

Silke

Offline Kimberley

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 03:56:40 PM »
Coco wouldn't have stood for that sort of treatment, the trainer might have had a sore backside Coco will not tolerate being forced into any situation like that, he have took revenge  >:(
Kim is owned by Coco, Breeze the Cockers and Charlie the (failed foster)Cavi

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 07:45:39 PM »
Try to go somewhere else.
Ours is great
Sarah Dyllan Tyke and Lance

www.brimbeck.co.uk