Author Topic: weaves and competing  (Read 4384 times)

Offline LinzHenz

• Puffy Fluppy Dog
weaves and competing
« on: July 07, 2009, 08:23:15 AM »
hiya - still doing channel weaves with henry - everything else is fairly good. are there any comps we could enter?
Linz & Henry Dog

Offline Freckle

Re: weaves and competing
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 09:01:32 AM »
Where are you based?

Are you looking for competitions without weaves?  just to be clear  :005:

Jane

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 09:13:03 AM »
UKA (UK Agility) shows have Nursery Agility classes that don't have weave poles, seesaw or tyre. Dogs must be at least 16 months old. If you enter Nursery Agility the only other class you can enter at that particular show is Beginner's Steeplechase, which is just jumps and pipe tunnels.

The link to the UKA website is http://www.ukagility.com/

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 09:14:48 AM »
UKA (UK Agility) shows have Nursery Agility classes that don't have weave poles, seesaw or tyre. Dogs must be at least 16 months old. If you enter Nursery Agility the only other class you can enter at that particular show is Beginner's Steeplechase, which is just jumps and pipe tunnels.

Do they have to have been measured for these, and do you need to be registered with UK Agility?
Misha is registered for Kennel Club, but still has to be measured.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Rosie

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 11:27:31 AM »
Yes you will need to register with UKA although it is a quikcer process I beleive than the KC and there is a membership for handlers and  for dogs.

I believe that you will also need to be measured although I think that the process is a little easier than finding a measurer for KC!!  Check out their website for registration and that should advise on measuring.

Re KC measuring if you keep an eye on agilitynet forums - KC shows there is a subtopic of measuring and it usually gives information on measuring sessions happening all over the country. 

Rosie & 4 naughty cockers plus one!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 11:48:38 AM »

Do they have to have been measured for these, and do you need to be registered with UK Agility?
Misha is registered for Kennel Club, but still has to be measured.
Yes, you have to register with UKA, which can be done online via their website. You can do it and enter your first show at the same time I think. As Rosie said, it's a quicker process than the Kennel Club one.

Dogs have to be measured and UKA have measuring sessions at their shows. With William I registered him and entered for his first show while the registration was being done. He actually had his first run in a Beginner's Steeplechase at our first show early in the morning before the measuring session took place, but that was permissable for the pragmatic reason that his class was early morning and measuring took place later in the morning. It would only have been tricky if he was borderline between 2 heights.

Offline LinzHenz

• Puffy Fluppy Dog
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 06:48:42 PM »
looking for classes without weaves, and probably without the seesaw for the time being as he's not 100% with that (as i found out last night when he leapt off it, having done it fine the previous week!)

im in leicestershire.

just want to experience what it's like to run him out of the training environment really. i know with my horse how different being in a comp environment is so want to start getting him used to it, and getting me used to it as well as we all know it's more about the handler!!

i dont understand gettign KC measured and UKA measured - do you have to do both?

Linz & Henry Dog

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 07:52:32 PM »
Re. KC and UKA measuring - yes, you do have to be measured for both. It's because UKA isn't directly affiliated to the KC. KC measuring needs to be done before you enter shows. KC official measurers do measuring sessions periodically, sometimes at shows, sometimes elsewhere. I think you'll find them advertised on agilitynet. With UKA it's more informal as they seem to hold measuring sessions at most shows, so you could actually get measured at your first show.

UKA Nursery Agility classes don't have weaves, seesaw or tyres, so that would probably be your best bet at the moment.

Offline Liz Finchett

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 11:11:22 AM »
Hi,

Also look at Agility Addicts shows in the winter the Elementary classes have no weaves, spread or tyre,
 sit - e http://agilityforum.agilityaddicts.net/viewforum.php?f=12 or on agility net

Liz

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 11:17:43 AM »
As you're in Leics, have a look at the BAA website http://www.baa.uk.net/shows.html shows are held at Asfordby, Near Melton  ;)
In introductory they don't penalise for runbys & refusals & I've never seen more than 6 weaves at these shows.

I think last Winter Dog Vegas held indoor shows at Grantham & they had specific classes that didn't have weaves or see-saw
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 02:14:28 PM »
Hi,

Also look at Agility Addicts shows in the winter the Elementary classes have no weaves, spread or tyre,
 sit - e http://agilityforum.agilityaddicts.net/viewforum.php?f=12 or on agility net
Liz

Thats good to know.  I did have a look at UKA with a view to registering both my dogs and having a go at the nursery course, but most of the competitions are down south - to far for us to travel just for practice.  We're in  East Yorkshire, so may have to have a look at Dog Vegas ones.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 02:20:50 PM »
We're in  East Yorkshire, so may have to have a look at Dog Vegas ones.
I've just heard the schedules for the Dog Vegas shows should be out in about a month.  The dates for the shows are Saturday 7th November 2009, Saturday 19th December 2009, Saturday 23rd January 2010, Saturday 13th February 2010, Saturday 20th March 2010

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 12:57:53 PM »
There's a show in Leics on 10th October  ;)
http://www.agilitynet.co.uk/schedules/schedules.ASP

SCHEDULE OF CLASSES
Class  1 :- Small / Medium  Jumping.       Combined Grade 1-5         
Class 2 :- Small / Medium  Agility.      Combined Grade 1-5
Class 3 :- Small / Medium Helter Skelter.   Combined Grade 1-5
Class 4 :- Large Jumping.         Combined Grade 1-5
Class 5 :- Large Agility.         Combined Grade 1-5
Class 6 :- Large Helter Skelter.      Combined Grade 1-5
Class 7 :- Any size Jumping.         Mini Jump Height
Class 8 :- S,M,L  Introductory Helter skelter    Grade 0

Introductory class is for dogs that have not yet competed at a KC show in grade 1 or above, will not contain tyre, weaves or contacts.

Offline LinzHenz

• Puffy Fluppy Dog
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 09:11:43 PM »
its being run by my agility club! so we will be there :-) will anyone else? x
Linz & Henry Dog

Offline riotous_uk

• Druidale GSDs and SWDs
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 09:23:47 PM »
Thats good to know.  I did have a look at UKA with a view to registering both my dogs and having a go at the nursery course, but most of the competitions are down south - to far for us to travel just for practice.  We're in  East Yorkshire, so may have to have a look at Dog Vegas ones.

Hi
I'm also in East Yorks and am travelling to the Deliquent Dogz shows at Rotherham. Their capability classes have no weaves or seesaw, no penalties for runbys or refusals and you can carry a silent toy with you. There's roughly one show a month, next one being the weekend of 19/20 Sept.
Schedules are on agility net
Pauline
Member APDT 660
Pawsitively Dogs