Author Topic: weaves and competing  (Read 4381 times)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
Re: weaves and competing
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 09:28:42 PM »
Hiya Pauline, brilliant to see you here! Is there something I should know? ;)
If so welcome to the club. :D
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2009, 06:45:16 PM »
Thats good to know.  I did have a look at UKA with a view to registering both my dogs and having a go at the nursery course, but most of the competitions are down south - to far for us to travel just for practice.  We're in  East Yorkshire, so may have to have a look at Dog Vegas ones.

Hi
I'm also in East Yorks and am travelling to the Deliquent Dogz shows at Rotherham. Their capability classes have no weaves or seesaw, no penalties for runbys or refusals and you can carry a silent toy with you. There's roughly one show a month, next one being the weekend of 19/20 Sept.
Schedules are on agility net

Only just seen this - am off to AgilityNet to have a look.

Do you have to be officially measured for these - whilst mine have been registered, neither have been measured.  Might try and aim for the one in Sept and take one dog (Misha whose the eldest) to have a go.

Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline riotous_uk

• Druidale GSDs and SWDs
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2009, 07:39:05 PM »
No to the official measuring, there is an element of trust involved. The max height for the capability classes is 17 inches any way (that's the classes without weaves and seesaw). I'm entering for sat 19th Sept, so hope to see you there.
Takes me about an hour to get there and I'm about halfway between Hull and the coast.
Pauline
Member APDT 660
Pawsitively Dogs

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2009, 06:22:20 PM »

Hi
I'm also in East Yorks and am travelling to the Deliquent Dogz shows at Rotherham. Their capability classes have no weaves or seesaw, no penalties for runbys or refusals and you can carry a silent toy with you. There's roughly one show a month, next one being the weekend of 19/20 Sept.
Schedules are on agility net

Sadly am going to have to give this one a miss, as have just seen that I have to work on the 19th, but the next one is definitely in the diary.

Offline riotous_uk

• Druidale GSDs and SWDs
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2009, 06:38:23 AM »
If you are working te sat, then go to the show on the sunday (it's over 2 days). I cna't go on the sunday as I have to work  :lol2:
Pauline
Member APDT 660
Pawsitively Dogs

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2009, 12:51:29 PM »
If you are working te sat, then go to the show on the sunday (it's over 2 days). I cna't go on the sunday as I have to work  :lol2:

Good thinking Batman - had forgotten about that. :D

Offline riotous_uk

• Druidale GSDs and SWDs
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2009, 07:15:08 PM »

Did you go? and if so how did you get on? My GSD Rudi got 5 faults in jumping and clear in the helter selter (my 2 terriers went clear in that class as well). Snitch got a clear in jumping. Had a\ great day and the dogs thoroughly enjoyed themselves.
Pauline
Member APDT 660
Pawsitively Dogs

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2009, 07:23:53 PM »

Did you go? and if so how did you get on? My GSD Rudi got 5 faults in jumping and clear in the helter selter (my 2 terriers went clear in that class as well). Snitch got a clear in jumping. Had a\ great day and the dogs thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

Well done on the results - you must have been tired!!!

I chickened out at the last minute - have to admit I'm a little nervous....initially thought I would go and just have a look to see what happens, as I have no idea what to expect.  I think Misha is too old now for the capability (22months, cut off is 18months).  I'm definitely going to try for the one in October.  What do you do with your dogs when your running one of them - do you have someone to look after them while you compete?  I would be coming on my own and  I was going put Roly in kennels for the day (would prefer not to), but just wondered if I would be able to take him too, even though I wouldn't compete him yet.

Offline Lumi

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2009, 08:48:28 PM »
Hi
We've been to one show (our first and only so far - UKA) and I entered Gamblers, Steeplechase, Agility and Jumping. I thought Jumping was just that, Jumping, but there was a weave and tunnel in it, so we left the weave out. Steeplechase was just jumps and tunnels, so that was fine. In Agility we just ran past the weaves too. Gamblers was just picking whatever you want to do, so obviously we didn't do the weave!
Dylan is learning weave - I think he's on Channel ones too (are they with the wire?). Got second show this weekend and am frantically trying to train him to do weave normally, but it hasn't clicked yet. He'll do four or five and that's it. I'd be interested to know how you get on moving from channel weaves to normal... :blink:

Offline riotous_uk

• Druidale GSDs and SWDs
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2009, 06:40:51 AM »
Well done on the results - you must have been tired!!!

Thanks, I 2as tired and so were the dogs, fab :)

I chickened out at the last minute - have to admit I'm a little nervous....initially thought I would go and just have a look to see what happens, as I have no idea what to expect.  I think Misha is too old now for the capability (22months, cut off is 18months).  I'm definitely going to try for the one in October.  What do you do with your dogs when your running one of them - do you have someone to look after them while you compete?  I would be coming on my own and  I was going put Roly in kennels for the day (would prefer not to), but just wondered if I would be able to take him too, even though I wouldn't compete him yet.

All of mine are over 18 months, but the capability clas is also for those new to competing and who have neve entered a KC show. My dogs are 6 but this is the first year that we've been competing, so Michelle is happy for us to be in the capability class. Give her a ring if you are worried, they are a really friendly bunch and I'm finding the shows are quite relaxed - if they weren't I certainly wouldn't have the guts to run Rudi the GSD  :lol2:

With having 2 tinies in the same class it does mean that I have to get them both out together and my friend usual holds one of them for me, I'm sure there would be someone to hold your spare dog for you, I ended up holding a springer yesterday whilst her owner ran her other dog. Generally though my dogs stay in the van until it is there turn to run.

I can't do the October show as I'm working all weekend, but will hopefully be there in November assuming that the weather is ok.
Pauline
Member APDT 660
Pawsitively Dogs

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2009, 09:12:24 AM »
Hi
We've been to one show (our first and only so far - UKA) and I entered Gamblers, Steeplechase, Agility and Jumping. I thought Jumping was just that, Jumping, but there was a weave and tunnel in it, so we left the weave out. Steeplechase was just jumps and tunnels, so that was fine. In Agility we just ran past the weaves too. Gamblers was just picking whatever you want to do, so obviously we didn't do the weave!
Dylan is learning weave - I think he's on Channel ones too (are they with the wire?). Got second show this weekend and am frantically trying to train him to do weave normally, but it hasn't clicked yet. He'll do four or five and that's it. I'd be interested to know how you get on moving from channel weaves to normal... :blink:

Well done on giving it a go - much braver than me.

I do think the weaves are one of the most difficult obstacles.  When I was teach my two I started with just two poles and gradually as they improved I added another pole  (we only do 6!! at home, but they can do the 12 when asked).  Just make sure you practice on both sides - mine are good on one side and appalling on the other.

Offline Lumi

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2009, 07:28:40 PM »
Went to our second show yesterday and having finally got Dyl to do 12 upright weaves on Thurs (woo hoo) I have to say I had high hopes for jumping and agility (ambitious, I know!) but the show had combined groups and the jumping was first up - Grades 1-3 combined and it was soooo difficult! 12 weaves after 2 jumps. Dylan's entry was perfect but then he went loony and started running round the ring ignoring me, the little monkey! The agility class had only six weaves, again great entry and maybe one more (rest of the course was fine), but I think I had been a bit hopeful seeing as he had only just worked it all out on Thurs  ::). Still I now know he can do it, just need more practice, and we did get a clear round  :angel: in the steeplechase which was Grade 1-7 combined! I think we'll be avoiding combined classed for a while! Why do they combine all levels like that at some shows? And does anyone know what to look out for if you want to be judged at your level? Obviously not 'combined'!

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2009, 10:30:34 AM »
Lumi,
sounds like you've got the bug - Well done to both you and Dyl (how old is he by the way).  I have a problem at the moment with Roly (16 months) and trying to keep him focussed - always wants to do his victory dance before we finished the course :lol2: :lol2: 

Offline Lumi

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2009, 07:47:41 AM »

LOL Spaniels are best to watch for entertainment value!

Definitely got the bug. I didn't think I'd go back after our first lesson but so glad I did. Dylan absolutely loves it, and so do I!

Offline LinzHenz

• Puffy Fluppy Dog
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2009, 08:08:29 AM »
how long had you guys been learning agility before you entered a comp? we have been learning for a year now and our first comp is a week on sat  ph34r
looking forward to it but nervous and fully expecting to get a spangle lap of honour before we finish the bloomin' course!

ps - will there be any COLers at the Fox Agility show on 10th Oct?
Linz & Henry Dog