Author Topic: First Agility comp tomorrow!  (Read 2380 times)

Offline BillysMum

• Site Member
First Agility comp tomorrow!
« on: February 26, 2010, 12:04:56 PM »
 :o I'm quite nervous really... i've been talked into it by my agility instructor and other members  :-\ I've not even watched a comp before let alone taken part, i just hope Billy doesn't show me up or i forget the way to go and show him up  :lol:

any tips or advice much appreciated  :D

here he is in training

wish us luck, we're certainly going to need it  ph34r

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
Re: First Agility comp tomorrow!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 12:47:28 PM »
Good luck & have fun  :D

He certainly looks like he enjoys it  :luv:

Don't worry about going wrong, most people there probably have at some point :lol2: There's always somebody to show you what to do/where to be, usually nice cocker people  :D

Enjoy!   I bet you'll be looking at schedules over the weekend seeing which show you can enter next, not that it's addictive  :005:
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 02:12:10 PM »
Good Luck! Just relax and enjoy it - if you are unsure of anything, just ask someone and I'm sure they'll help you out.

Lovely pics. Just one thing in case you're not aware, for competition, the dogs can't wear dangly bits on there collars. I learnt the hard way ( :'( ) with my collie - we had our best round ever when the judge took me to one side and said we were eliminated for her swinging collar tag (it still hurts all these years on!!)  :005: :'(

Walk the course well and don't worry that people are watching you - 9 times out of 10 they're looking the other way (and typically always when you have a really good round  :005:).

Have fun and don't forget to report back!!  :luv: :D

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 03:57:12 PM »
Good luck its all great fun, just enjoy it!
Tracey, Maudie and Alice x

Offline JohnW

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 05:09:19 PM »
Dont worry about people watching, they will probably be too pre occupied with their own dogs to notice, And once you start you dont really worry about the spectators. Good luck I am sure you will be Buzzing after its finished. ;)

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 05:14:44 PM »
Lots of luck  :blink: with a stunning boy like that you can't go wrong  :luv:

Have a lovely day and enjoy  :blink:

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 05:17:17 PM »

Wishing you and Billy all the best for tomorrow

Offline Rosie

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 05:26:03 PM »
Good luck for tomorrow!!

Juist enjoy it and whatever happens do not worry we have all been there and it will have happened to someone before!!!

Bet you will be hooked after tomorrow!

Rosie

Rosie & 4 naughty cockers plus one!

Offline LinzHenz

• Puffy Fluppy Dog
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 05:41:19 PM »
how exciting! I've done 2 'proper' comps with henry and the fist one was like 'wow!' so much to take in but the second one i felt much calmer and moe confident. just have fun - good comment about the collar, we had same thing happen to us (although it was afte a rubbish run and being told that loudly at the end added to my disgrace!!)

make sure you take a pack up or money for hot drinks - even if you show is indoors its freezing waiting around so lots of layers! cant wait until the summer.

I've entered loads of shows for march and april - going for the scatter gun approach!

let us know how you get on xx
Linz & Henry Dog

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 11:56:51 PM »
Good luck  :blink:

I hope you and Billy really enjoy yourselves. Allow plenty of time for getting there, parking up, giving Billy a run to stretch his legs and (if you're like me) going to the loo loads of times before your class  :005:.

If you've entered more than one class be prepared for a long wait, because that's nearly always how it pans out, apart from the times when both your classes are running at the same time of course  :lol2:

I always used to take treats, water, water bowl, towel and poo bags for William, plus his Equafleece if it was wet. Then clothes for all types of weather for me, plus running shoes, water, flask with hot drink, food and a book for reading during the 5 hour wait between classes!

Have a great day and don't feel downhearted if you get eliminated or forget the course or anything else. We've all done it. Billy won't know he's been eliminated and will still have enjoyed himself  :blink:

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 08:44:57 AM »
Good luck for today.  I'm sure it will be fine - let us know how you get on. :D

We've yet to do our first competition, but have done lots of practising (2 years worth :lol2:)

Hopefully in the next couple of months.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline BillysMum

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 06:48:42 PM »
Thank you.... i removed the ID tag when i got there... thanks for telling me that, i had no idea  :embarassed: I'll have to invest in a flat tag that fixes onto the collar.... most dogs had one today!

Anyway We're back. its been a VERY long day and we're both knackered lol

It wasn't a KC show, it was a BAA and very relaxed so i'm really pleased i went along.  we will be entering alot more now he's measured and i'm more confident i know what to do... well i know a little more of what goes on  :005:

It was such a fab day though and i am sooooo proud of my little bill.... he did 4 rounds although he only got 1 clear round but i don't care, he did fantastically  it was totally my fault when he went wrong but he didn't care, we just thoroughly enjoyed ourselves 

He did so much better than alot of dogs there,  some ran off and out of the ring  ph34r  it made me feel sooo much better though  :005:  billy stayed focused on me throughout even in the new place with ALOT of people and dogs around. To be honest i'm so chuffed that he was well behaved and didn't grumble at even one dog.... last year he would've flew at any dog that looked at him so a huge acheivement.

Thank for all the advice.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 08:03:45 PM »
Well done  :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I hope you got a big rosette for your clear round. I was so proud of William at our first show because he also got a clear round and, most importantly of all, stayed focussed on me like your Bill did for you (it must be the name). I think it's hard to express how great you feel when you realise how the bond between owner and dog builds up by doing agility.

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 08:22:05 PM »

Well done to you and Billy.  Glad you both enjoyed the day

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 08:30:24 PM »
Well done you and Billy!  :banana: :clapping: :cool4:

I think it's hard to express how great you feel when you realise how the bond between owner and dog builds up by doing agility.

Well said  :shades:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne