Author Topic: cocker wanted ( loving home ) just lost our after 14 yrs  (Read 11467 times)

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
cocker wanted ( loving home ) just lost our after 14 yrs
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2004, 09:32:37 PM »
Good luck with your continued search, and I'm sure Blackjack will find someone (or should that be the other way round!) soon  :D

ps based on that photo, I STIL find it quite hard to believe he's a working cocker  :wink:                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2004, 09:37:12 PM »

ps based on that photo, I STIL find it quite hard to believe he's a working cocker  :wink:

Me too - he could be part Working Cocker & part show-type Cocker as some commercial breeders are blending the 2 types for reasons best known to them but he's not 100% Working Cocker. I always thought mental stimulation was more important with a Working Cocker than the amount of physical exercise but never mind :wink: Not that 2 hours a day is excessive - our adults get that much a day easily (not all at once though :))                    
Jane

Offline PennyB

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2004, 09:51:30 AM »
I always thought mental stimulation was more important with a Working Cocker than the amount of physical exercise but never mind :wink: Not that 2 hours a day is excessive - our adults get that much a day easily (not all at once though :))

I think that's the usual myth of working breeds in pet homes in general where people think they just need lots of exercise and that's it, which is why there are so many border collies and springers in rescues at the moment.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2004, 10:22:13 AM »

I think that's the usual myth of working breeds in pet homes in general where people think they just need lots of exercise and that's it, which is why there are so many border collies and springers in rescues at the moment.

You're right that's why I was surprised to hear of a behaviourist emphasising the 2 hours exercise, though if that's spread out over a day it's not so much as it sounds & some of it could be spent playing games like fetch with a ball or hide & seek which would exercise mind & body. This chap just sounds like many young Cockers who have been in the wrong home & understimulated for too long - just hope this label of "working cocker" isn't putting off would-be owners as show-type Cockers can be just as demanding :wink:                    
Jane

Offline PennyB

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2004, 10:40:53 AM »
Probably also why you find cockers aged between 5 and 18 months always in the free ads as well!                    
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2004, 10:52:55 AM »
Sad but true Penny :( I rehomed a young bitch last year with many of the issues that Blackjack has & she is now happily rehomed with a normal, active family after I had worked with her for a few weeks - the original owner was not prepared for how lively & demanding a young Cocker could be plus had been frightened to ever let her off the lead :roll:                    
Jane

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2004, 11:42:35 PM »
I just think that those runs arent big enough for two dogs to stay happy , i know mine would go mental if couped up in one of those all day . he just needs to spread his legs , i watched him on the cam quite a bit and he dosent look that lively, although the riping up the house could be a problem but then again the previous owners may have not taken him for walks or played like every young cocker loves. he just needs a bit of time dovted to him and some training im sure he will turn into an angel when he calms down :)  i hope he finds his forever home soon :)

Blackjack's requirements from the behavourist :

He should have a home with another dog as he suffers from stress

Should have an indoor kennel

Should have at least two hours exercise, most of which should be free running

A home without children

A home without cats

Ideally someone around for most of the day

Must attend dog training classes

Should wear a head collar when on lead to help calm him down

Plenty of toys are a must

I think in an ideal world we would want a rural home for Blackjack, but being realistic and being in London, we may not get this, if above are followed it shouldn't be a problem.                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2004, 12:11:18 AM »
in responce to another cocker
Sooty Sooty is a gorgeous black female Cocker Spaniel pup. She is approx 4-5 months old and has a very loveable quiet temperament. She is wormed and vaccinated and looking for a family of her own. She would make a perfect house pet. CONTACT: West Cork Animal Welfare Group Tel: 086 3862714/086 8500131 (use Irish dialing code) or e mail: info@westcorkanimals.com
If you want to see her pic heres the link you may have to scroll down quite a way down :) shes very cute

http://www.irishanimals.com//cork_homes.html                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2004, 12:21:40 AM »
Ringo is a 20 month old male Golden Cocker Spaniel. He is an adorable pet with a beautiful shiney coat. He has his vaccinations up to date. Contact the Sligo Dog Shelter on Tel: 071 9163320

If you want to see his pic then click here then give a pet a home then click Connaught and scroll down . for some reason my links arent working sorry
www.ispca.ie                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2004, 01:26:24 AM »
Duncan

Duncan is a male six year old golden cocker spaniel, he's very good off the lead and comes when called. Best suited to an adult home, very good with other dogs. Happy to be left on his own and is good in the car.

picture and contact details  if you click other homes needed at the left hand side he should be at the top
http://www.paws.ie/                    

Offline PennyB

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2004, 10:45:28 PM »
For anyone who wants to know Blackjack who was at the Mayhew has now been rehomed!                    
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2004, 12:11:14 AM »
thats great :) i hope hes got a great forever home :)                    

Offline Maria

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2004, 07:42:21 AM »
Excellent news! I hope this one works out for him, lovely lad.                    

Offline PennyB

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2004, 08:46:42 AM »
Blackjack is now living with the Mayhew trainer and family!                    
Friends of Hailey Park

scoobie

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2004, 09:11:11 AM »
ah...that's great news I love happy endings

Edith and scoobie  xx