Author Topic: In season bitch  (Read 1915 times)

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
In season bitch
« on: August 10, 2010, 12:55:24 PM »
A lady who lives round the corner from me informed me this morning her gorjuss staffy has come into her first season.

She seems quite a responsible owner and I've seen her over the last couple of days doing street walking rather than in the field where all the dogs walk.

I'm a bit concerned though of letting Ollie of his lead now. As i'm petrified he may make a run for it to follow her scent if he does get a whiff!!! Even though he has never shown the slightiest bit of interest in any girl. Any advice on what i can do?

I will be avoided the area near to this dogs home on weekends, and evenings when i have the time to go else where. But in the morning i only have time to go to the nearby field where its possible this dog in season could be walked!!!

Any suggestions? thanks all

L&O x

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Re: In season bitch
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 07:36:17 AM »
If he never seems too bad with the scent then I'd be inclined to see how he is. Logan is mad for the scent on my girls and will follow the scent if one of mines in season and has gone out on a walk before him, but unless he actually meets another girl on a walk who is in season and he can smell it on her he doesn't follow many scents at all.

Even when I say he is "mad" he will seem preoccupied and its harder to get his attention but his recall is good and he would still always come back to me as opposed to continuing following the girl or scent.

Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 09:45:57 AM »
Thanks Bluegirl.

When we wnet out last night ofr his evening toilet break he was really really pulling on the lead, then he's stop at a certain point and sniff/lick  ph34r for ages (like he has been doing over the last 3 weeks ish but worse!!) and I could not get him to budge. Then when we got in it was like he was looking for something and a bit whining - so not sure if he caught her scent then. But I'm also not sure becasue I know there is a in season bitch if i'm just reading more into everything he does!!!

So this morning we walked to the field a different way where I think the bitch may not be walking and he was fine and finewhen we got on the field!!

L&O x

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 09:54:41 AM »
Thanks Bluegirl.

When we wnet out last night ofr his evening toilet break he was really really pulling on the lead, then he's stop at a certain point and sniff/lick  ph34r for ages (like he has been doing over the last 3 weeks ish but worse!!) and I could not get him to budge. Then when we got in it was like he was looking for something and a bit whining - so not sure if he caught her scent then. But I'm also not sure becasue I know there is a in season bitch if i'm just reading more into everything he does!!!

So this morning we walked to the field a different way where I think the bitch may not be walking and he was fine and finewhen we got on the field!!

L&O x

you're not reading into it - that behaviour is spot on for an entire boy in lust  ;)  he didn't catch her scent at home, he'd had a whole nose full on the walk - that's the difference I find with entire and neutered boys - entire boys will 'remember' what they've smelt and behave like Ollie is afterwards and neutered boys, while they're interested at the time, forget about it.

helen & jarvis x

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 10:09:45 AM »

you're not reading into it - that behaviour is spot on for an entire boy in lust  ;)  he didn't catch her scent at home, he'd had a whole nose full on the walk - that's the difference I find with entire and neutered boys - entire boys will 'remember' what they've smelt and behave like Ollie is afterwards and neutered boys, while they're interested at the time, forget about it.

[/quote]

Ollie is still entire and he did settle down last night after about 15 mins - I fell like he's growing up wanting a girlfriend!! He's never shown much interrest in girls before!!!

The only reason why i wondered if i was reading too much into it is (mentioned on another post) for about the last 3 weeks (maybe 4) he has been spending more and more time sniffing/licking/marking pretty much everything in the outside world and I'm struggling to keep his attention. i can usually call him away after a couple of mins. But last night when he stopped at certian points there was no getting him away until he was ready, he was really licking and marking a lot and digging in his paws to stay where he was!!

Oh the joys of a teenage boy around girls  :005:!!!!

L&O x

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 10:45:59 AM »
he's nearly 2 isn't he?  Full set of hormones and a grown up boy and he will mark and sniff incessantly  :lol2:  ph34r 
helen & jarvis x

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 11:14:26 AM »
he's nearly 2 isn't he?  Full set of hormones and a grown up boy and he will mark and sniff incessantly  :lol2:  ph34r 

nearly 3!!!

He's driving me up the wall with it!!! Going to teach a whistle recall as per Topbarks sticky and I may also go back to having a squeaky toy to try to get him back when he's stuck with his nose in a bush!! All the other tricks we use will not call him away at the minute!!!

thanks for the advice!

L&O x

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 11:27:58 AM »
to be honest despite good recall it's a battle when they get in this state - yes, a solid whistle recall is fabulous but it's very difficult to detract a boy from his hormones - just remember it will be ok and you'll get your boy back to normal in a few days  :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline cockerlover1

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
I would say he is in love  :luv: are you wanting to breed from him ? if not why dont you get him castrated then you wont have any worry :)

Offline SuperCat

• Murphy
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 11:11:55 AM »
I don't have much advice because murphy really doesn't seem bothered either way about a bitch in season. But when there was something dead on a walk where I used to let Murphy off, he'd just run straight to it and sniff it, roll in it and he just wouldn't move. I left a 'bread crumb trail' of treats leading away from the dead thing and towards me and as soon as he smelt the treats he followed the trail and came back and hardly bothered with the dead thing after that. It has to be a REALLY high value treat but it might work. I used a mixture of liver, sausage, chicken and peanut butter biscuits. (we'd had a clear out of the freezer and found a LOAD of frozen treats that I'd forgotten about!)

On the castration point, would he not still be interested in it? Our springer was and if he found a scent he liked he wasn't going to leave it. Murphy has his chemical castration implant and I don't think it's really made that much difference to his behaviour out on walks, but I know it has different effects on different dogs.
Crowned 'Biggest Hooligan of the day' Solid Colours Cocker Spaniel Association show 25/4/10.

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 12:01:20 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I'm fairly sure that its not just the 'inseason' bitch he is interested in. We passed her the other day on the street and Ollie walkes straight pass.

The behaviour he has displayed off sniffing/licking/marking everything has been quite obvious for about 4 weeks now - so I'm guessing he's just nosey/interersted in everything and wants to leave his mark. It is getting quite annoying as sometimes I'm just not interesting enough  ::)

We have talked about castration as it would be lovely to have a dog that listened again but not sure we want to put him through that yet!!! Ollie previously has had the implant that mimics castration and he did stop marking BUT that was when he was about 1 and he wasn't doing what he does know. So again we've talked about the implant again but unsure if we want to keep messing with his hormones!!

We'll see how it goes!

L&O x

Offline cockerlover1

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 03:20:35 PM »
Can i ask what the castration implant is? i have never heard of it. I would say it would make him better with the scent of bitches as once he has his bits off :shades: he will not get all that testosterone going on.  :005:

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 04:37:54 PM »
Can i ask what the castration implant is? i have never heard of it. I would say it would make him better with the scent of bitches as once he has his bits off :shades: he will not get all that testosterone going on.  :005:

Google Superlorin you'll get the details on the implant.

As mentioned before i'm not sure its the in season bitches attract Ollie to sniff/mark things so believe castration may not be the answer in my case  ;)

L&O x