Author Topic: Black...  (Read 2012 times)

Offline Lee67

• Site Member
Black...
« on: September 08, 2007, 04:07:47 PM »
Could I please ask...

Is it only black working cockers that have a white bib and show cockers are solid black or can they be either... :huh:
Lee & Poppy xx

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Black...
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 05:11:03 PM »
The breed standard states that:

In self colours, no white allowed except on chest

...so in theory, solid black show strain cockers could have a white chest patch, too  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Lee67

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 05:25:25 PM »
Thank you... ;)

Just asking because a lady who lives near us has a black cocker, he's very big, his ears aren't as long as a show, he has white patch on his chest and his face is a bigger version of Poppy's.
I thought he was a working cocker (because of the white patch on his chest), but his owner says he's a show cocker...but I'm not convinced... :-\
Lee & Poppy xx

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 09:25:44 PM »
I met a lady whilst out walking with the dogs the other day; she had a rather sweet looking show-type black cocker with quite a large white patch on his chest.

Apparently he was a rescue dog & I wondered if perhaps he had been bred from solid/parti parents as I understood that it can sometimes cause the pups to be mis-marked? :-\
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline ruby ruby doo

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 09:32:23 PM »
my working cocker has white fur on her foot...does that mean she is "mis marked?" not bothered she is gorgeous!
jo & ruby =)

Offline chelsea

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 09:43:12 PM »
Show Cocker's only tend to have a small patch of white on their chest, not alot. ;)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 09:54:19 PM »
It's probably less desirable for a solid coloured show cocker to have a white chest in the show ring so dogs with this marking are less likely to be used for breeding and therefore it doesn't get passed on whereas with working cockers aesthetic appearance doesn't matter so much compared to working ability etc. so it doesn't particularly matter if dogs have white markings.

Ruby Ruby Doo your dog isn't mismarked because of some white on her foot although as you say as she's a working cocker, it wouldn't really matter anyway.

You see quite a few working cockers who could be considered as mismarked and tbh it's completely my personal opinion but I do prefer them to have more correct markings such as a symmetrical face mask in roan and '-and white' dogs rather than eye patches etc. Very much less important than temperament, health and working ability of course but if I was buying a particolour puppy and was given the choice of 2 equally well bred, healthy pups where one was correctly marked and one mismarked I would always go for the correctly marked one.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 02:35:29 PM »
my working cocker has white fur on her foot...does that mean she is "mis marked?" not bothered she is gorgeous!

She sounds really lovely & as Nicola said it does seem to be more prevalent in working cockers than the show type.

I only mentioned it as I understand that solids should be mated to solids & parti's to parti's. ;)

Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 03:54:01 PM »
I only mentioned it as I understand that solids should be mated to solids & parti's to parti's. ;)

In general that is true. On very rare occasions a show breeder may cross breed colours with a very specific goal in mind, then return to the original colour (solid or parti) Since they have a breeding goal the puppies sold will usually have spay/neuter contract and/or limited registration.

When I wanted to breed my blue roan bitch to a black male, the stud dog owner grilled me very carefully on my reasons for wanting to do it, what would happen with the puppies, and what were my plans for the next generation or two. As well she should.

But in the case of the rescue dog that Joelf saw, I'm going to assume that it is from back yard breeding, someone just bred two cockers together.  :P

As Nicola said, colour is a non-consideration in working dogs, so you are liable to see all sorts of colour and markings and all are correct.

There is nothing wrong per se with a mismarked dog. The markings have to do with the show standard, so a mismark only means it cannot be shown, the dog is not defective. The breed clubs have a certain vision of what the correct dog looks like, which probably means little to the average pet owner.

There is also no real way a parti can be mismarked, although from a show standpoint there can be markings that are less desirable; for example no mask at all, or a half mask with the white side on the "show side"

All cosmetic and not an issue for a pet  ;)
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne