Author Topic: Bad smell  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
Bad smell
« on: December 17, 2012, 09:39:18 PM »
OH has reliably informed me Rubys breath smells really bad which it doesn't usually and i can't say i've noticed as i have barely any sense of smell.

Could this be lipfolds? what are the signs? If so what can i use to wash them with as i haven't any hibiscrub ?

The funny thing is OH has been complaining she whiffs quite a bit lately,i wondered if it was do with the part raw diet  :-\

Would her breath smell if it were to do with anal glands,though he said her breath isn't fishy,just rank  ph34r

Poor pongy Ruby,any suggestions appreciated.  ;)
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline carol pearson

Re: Bad smell
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 12:49:39 PM »
I  will be interested in your replies as I have noticed a smell from Ozzy's mouth but I don't think it's his teeth has he recently had his teeth cleaned.
I have tried to look inside but can see nothing untoward but he is also scratching quite violently underneath his chin and along his jaw line.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 12:51:48 PM »

The funny thing is OH has been complaining she whiffs quite a bit lately,i wondered if it was do with the part raw diet  :-\

I can't answer the rest of it, but Charlie is on raw and his breath doesn't smell (it does after tripe, but it's a distinct tripe smell)
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 06:19:29 PM »
I would check the lip folds especially in Ozzy's case as it sounds like it could be that,
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 06:42:18 PM »
Problems with anal glands quite often cause bad fishy breath.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 08:17:03 PM »

I have tried to look inside but can see nothing untoward but he is also scratching quite violently underneath his chin and along his jaw line.

Ruby has been doing this off and on  :-\
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 08:19:36 PM »
Sounds like lipfolds - just had a bad few weeks with Harry struggling to get rid of it.  Can you get some hibiscrub, it does help. Our vet also prescribed some antibiotics which eventually did the trick
Hope you get it sorted

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 08:51:13 PM »
For anyone interested  i just found this thread from the forum while i was googling lip folds,quite a few col'ers dogs have had terrible problems with lip fold infections,especially poor Julie amongst others....

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=67813.60

I think i will try some hibi scrub first if i can get it as there was a manufacturing problem with it a few months back.

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 09:33:37 PM »
Brodie's breath is awful at the moment, I have never smelled anything like it ph34r. It's so bad that you can smell it if she is anywhere near you. I am not sure if it's the special low fat food she is on just now; a side effect of the pancreatitis, or her lip folds. She isn't keen on me having a look. She has had severe infections in her ears recently - including pseudomonas - so I'm hoping they have not traveled down into her lip folds :-\. Off for a check up at the vet tomorrow so will see what he says.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 10:12:31 AM »
Paisley had pseudomonas in his ears, It infected his lip folds too. The stench from it was horrendous. Ellie also had it in her lip folds.

Nasty horrible bug.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 11:10:09 AM »
It really is horrific, Brodie was lucky that it was treated relatively easily (other infections soon joined in the fun though >:() although sadly it destroyed her ear drums.

Just back from the vet and at least in Brodie's case the answer is quite mundane - she has tartar :P. Not being able to eat chews means I now have to brush her teeth... At least it's not her lip folds!

Hope the hibiscrub helps.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 12:14:42 PM »
For anyone interested  i just found this thread from the forum while i was googling lip folds,quite a few col'ers dogs have had terrible problems with lip fold infections,especially poor Julie amongst others....

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=67813.60

I think i will try some hibi scrub first if i can get it as there was a manufacturing problem with it a few months back.

my vet will give me some free when I ask Toni ...just a small medicine bottle at a time but a little goes a long way ....if you're near enough, you could try them  ;)

good luck though - really hope you can get to the bottom of it for Ruby  :-* ......& all you other cockers  suffering at the moment  :'(  :bigarmhug:
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline Cocoa

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 03:49:55 PM »
I had to get some hibiscrub a while back for Cocoa but I made the mistake of telling the pharmacist it was for my dog and they wouldn't sell it to me.  I had to visit a different pharmacist and pretend it was for us  :shades:  Talk about a covert operation  :005:

When I first used it on Cocoa I didn't dilute it properly and she ended up with a mouthful of bubbles and she disappears when I get the bottle out now.

I guess the smell could be lipfolds but Cocoa's breath is awful at the moment but the vet says she needs her teeth descaling and cleaning which I know I should get sorted and I'm worried as she will have to have a GA.  I must do it soon though or it will get worse.  I hope you get to the bottom of the bad smell soon.

Jackie

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 06:55:27 PM »
Jenny- glad it was just tartar really, you and Brodie have been through enough recently.  :luv:

Linds-you have very generous vets.I know mine wouldn't give me hibi scrub free of charge as they have offered to sell it to me in the past.I live to far "darn sarf" from you unfortunately. I have ordered some from amazon so will be here really quick  :D

OK,so when i get it i know i dilute (and the ratio) but then do i just wash the sides of her chops once? twice per day? do i go inside the chops a bit ?

I looked today and nothing seems swollen,no discharge,just looks slightly red inside the top lips,not the bottom  :huh: