Author Topic: walking  (Read 402 times)

Offline tootz12

walking
« on: January 16, 2013, 10:36:11 AM »
Hope this is in right place and sorry if not.

I walk Tootise every day and we train indoors, and sometimes in the garden.  How long should she be getting in walking excersize daily? she is 7 months old, I just want to make sure she is getting enough/not too much.

She is very excitable and barks a lot when in excitable mode lol I use distraction with toys/games, she loves to roam the garden "free" of me but if I am not out there with her and anyone walks near the fence she will bark like hell, she not a nasty dog, its the same with postman or a knock at front door.  Shes great with people and children and other dogs, always ready to play. shes not aggressive around food or toys.

Just wondering if there is something i should or shouldn't be doing.  Took delivery of a clicker this morning so that will help with training.

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
Re: walking
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 11:18:49 AM »
Lead walking I would keep to around 30 to 40 mins at this age, a little more if required will not do any harm occasionally. The 5 minute per month of age is a good guide for continuous lead walking. Off lead on grass I go to about an hour once a week at this age or a bit more if we are having stop and sit training

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline tootz12

Re: walking
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 11:20:02 AM »
thankyou that is what I have been doing.