Author Topic: New Food arrived :)  (Read 2366 times)

Offline Cassie01

• Theis 08.04.2012-11.12.2012
Re: New Food arrived :)
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 05:26:26 PM »
This is the green feeder:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=_YAwxdjpGlY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D_YAwxdjpGlY

Whoops! You live and learn.

That's a new one on me and it does look interesting -  it would have been great for my last pup, he was another speedy gulper!

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 06:40:38 PM »
Sorry to go a bit off topic (and to be a bit thick  :005:) but I was just wondering why it is necessary to slow a dog's feeding down? I think I must be a bit soft  :shades: because these gadgets just look really frustrating to me! Archie isn't a gulper but I'd be interested to know if theres a health reason behind it.

Offline bluemoonrose

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 07:34:40 PM »
If dogs gulp their food down too fast there's a risk of bloat which at its worst can be fatal. I find they're more likely to chew the food this way rather than just inhale it, so I think that helps with better digestion and less wind!

I think rather than frustrating it makes mealtimes a bit more interesting and challenging. It will never be like them having to hunt for food, but it uses a little more mental energy to work out how to get those last few morsels.

I also use a Kong wobble or the nina ottison tornado toy for an occasional change.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 09:39:26 PM »
If dogs gulp their food down too fast there's a risk of bloat which at its worst can be fatal. I find they're more likely to chew the food this way rather than just inhale it, so I think that helps with better digestion and less wind!

I think rather than frustrating it makes mealtimes a bit more interesting and challenging. It will never be like them having to hunt for food, but it uses a little more mental energy to work out how to get those last few morsels.

I also use a Kong wobble or the nina ottison tornado toy for an occasional change.

Ah, thanks for that. I knew there had to be some reason behind it.  :D

Offline Biddy

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 05:57:42 PM »
Hi,

I have just ordered a sample bag of this food.

How did you work out how much to feed as there does not seem to be advice on web site?

Do I need to join facebook page and ask or is it trial and error?

Jake is on Arden Grange puppy junior he's 9 months so am looking round for an adult food with less cereal and filler in it, this sounds good so looking forward to sample's arrival. I'm assuming it can be fed to puppies too?

Offline jemimabear

• Marley xx
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 06:10:20 PM »
We are massive fans of this food :)
Gemma and Marley xx

Offline jemimabear

• Marley xx
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 06:13:09 PM »
Quantities to be fed are on the bag, also on www.whichdogfood.com if you search Eden Hills food
Gemma and Marley xx

Offline HoneyG

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 07:02:08 PM »
Hi,

How did you work out how much to feed as there does not seem to be advice on web site?

Jake is on Arden Grange puppy junior he's 9 months so am looking round for an adult food with less cereal and filler in it, this sounds good so looking forward to sample's arrival. I'm assuming it can be fed to puppies too?

We received a leaflet with the sample bag which gave us a rough guide, but I then used the estimate on the whichdogfood site too.  Early days gave us issues as she loved it so much that she wolfed it down and spent the rest of the day giving me 'those eyes' as if I have never fed her!

But she has got into a routine of two meals a day now.  Still the eyes, but not so much ;)

We do seem to  be have having some poo-side effects!  They have been a bit runny (not every time) for the last week or so, but going to see if this balances out a bit.

She is still loving the food and emptying her bowl though :)

website says it is suitable for all ages of dogs - I have liked the facebook page but not been back to it much!

Hope that helps and the sample is being enjoyed :)
Beki (and Honey!)

Offline bluemoonrose

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 10:51:25 PM »
Yes the food is suitable for puppies.  I understand some people's cats have been enjoying too! They are planning to launch a cat food later in the year.

In terms of some poo problems my understanding is there might be some initially as the body is detoxing from the previous food, but also if its soft it may be that you're giving a little too much.  Because of the fewer ingredients, less strain on the system digesting grain and fillers, it tends to be digested a lot quicker (at least that's what I've read).

Offline HoneyG

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 11:57:40 PM »
Yes the food is suitable for puppies.  I understand some people's cats have been enjoying too! They are planning to launch a cat food later in the year.

In terms of some poo problems my understanding is there might be some initially as the body is detoxing from the previous food, but also if its soft it may be that you're giving a little too much.  Because of the fewer ingredients, less strain on the system digesting grain and fillers, it tends to be digested a lot quicker (at least that's what I've read).

Thanks - could well be giving too much...but try telling my baby she needs less ;)  But might reduce the quanity a bit and see how we get on!  As she used to be a 'grazer' she is not familiar with an empty bowl!  So when she now finishs her meal in a flash, she looks at me expecting to fill it up again!!
Beki (and Honey!)

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2013, 08:57:55 AM »
Hi,

If you look at the bottom of the products page on the website, there is a feeding chart. It is quite small so not easy to spot!
I'm just switching Ruby and Jem onto this, they certainly love it but they are both greedy anyway!
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline Biddy

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2013, 12:53:59 PM »
Thanks all for help and advice, getting quite excited about the arrival of new food.
Jake loves food so hopefully this will suit him. :blink:

Offline Biddy

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 01:12:43 PM »
Just wondering which size kibble you went for.
I spoke to Eden  foods and they were helpful, I ordered sample of the small size just wondering whether to order larder size too.
 :-\

Offline bluemoonrose

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2013, 02:48:34 PM »
They've just changed what was their medium to it now being their large. It really was large and weighing out an amount for their meal did look like a small number of kibble. I've subsequently ordered their "new" medium, and that looks much better size wise so I'll be sticking with that.

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2013, 08:58:38 PM »
I got medium, it is fine for Jem :)

It smells great in the cupboard, I'm really happy we've changed over to it.
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x