Author Topic: Rant about other peoples dogs!!!  (Read 3765 times)

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
Re: Rant about other peoples dogs!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 01:58:41 PM »
This drives me mad >:D. Brodie is not the most confident of dogs and situations like this really scare her :-\. She used to scream her head off but these days will tell the dog off - not aggression, just a warning to back off. Of course, some people then see Brodie as being in the wrong :shades:.

I really hate it, especially when I have done a lot of work to build up her confidence, only to have it ruined by someone's boisterous and out of control dog >:D

x In memory of Barney x

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 02:10:48 PM »
Thanks to an irresponsible person on the beach this morning, we had a stressful walk. >:(

We were having a lovely time running around, playing, practising walking 'with me', until from about 100m a black lab came running towards us.  The owner was running and in a world of her own.  The dog didn't attack Zac but it was very domineering and overpowered him more than I would have liked.  Zac wasn't playing with him, he was playing with Zac. >:(

I took hold of Zacs line (he usually runs with it on so I can grab it if necessary) and tried to walk away but the dog was relentless ignoring the womans calls.  Eventually he responded to her and we carried on with our walk.  Well on the way back I could see her  in the distance again, but thought that we would be back at the car before we got near them.  Well the dog saw Zac again and came charging over.  No growls or anything but the dog was leering over Zac who was squriming in the sand.  He didn't seem overly distressed but I'm not 100% sure, however I was getting distressed!  I know he needs to experience dogs like this, but I usually let them last for short periods to start with but I had no choice as the dog was again not responding to woman.  When the woman reached us she casually said sorry its not my dog and walked off with headphones in ignoring my sharp words! >:( >:( >:(

I am fuming as it ruined our walk and now I am concerned that this woman and dog will be on the beach every morning, and we do love our walks on the beach.

What would you all do in this situation?  I didn't know whether to pick Zac up or try and get the dog off him, so I'm afraid that I stood feeling helpless. :'( :'( :'(
Try not to beat yourself up over this as tbh no matter where you walk there is always the chance that an irresponsible ower will also be there, it sounds as if Zac wasnt overly bothered by his encounter and in this situation you need to take you cues from him and not vice versa as you could transmit your fear issues to him. It is easier said than done and god only knows how many of these experiences I had with Fred as a pup but once you gain confidence reading his body language in these situations you will feel more confident when they happen. There is a real difference between a dog playing and an act of agression and I think Zac would more than likely give you some vocal hints, i have waded in on several occasions giving the owners a pretty firm idea of how I view their negligence and have got the number of the local dog warden programmed into my mobile in case it ever gets to be moe than I can deal with. I know I am very guilty of babying my two and I do tend to forget just how robust they really are - they rough and tumble more roughly in our garden just the two of them than anything I have witnessed on walks.

I hope you feel better after an uneventful walk tomorrow
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline Lovely

Rant about other people's dogs
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 02:20:33 PM »
Yeah sorry i didn't make myself clear, i just mean on aggressive dogs and only in emergency. Shillelagh also useful for clearing through brambles, nettles etc and bonking muggers on head. Was favoured weapon of the irish fighting man. Also favoured weapon of the suffolk dog walking lone woman x
Ali

Offline Pip C

• Zac
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 03:07:58 PM »
I really hope the woman isn't there again tomorrow, otherwise i might lose my head if the dog gatecrashes our walkies again. >:D

Offline Pip C

• Zac
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 03:12:35 PM »
The word I have been looking for is bullying...not aggressive just being a bully. >:D

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 05:01:01 PM »
 ph34r ph34r  I'm always worried as Ozzy is like this - he just dashes up to any dog he sees and wants to play - he can be a nuisance to the owners too, jumping up to say hello.  Luckily, everyone he has done it to seems ok with it, and will stand and have a chat when I eventually catch up.  So, if a pocket sized blue roan cocker with one eye dashes up to you and your dog, please don't be alarmed, it's just Ozzy wanting to play!!!  ph34r ph34r

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 05:09:55 PM »
ph34r ph34r  I'm always worried as Ozzy is like this - he just dashes up to any dog he sees and wants to play - he can be a nuisance to the owners too, jumping up to say hello.  Luckily, everyone he has done it to seems ok with it, and will stand and have a chat when I eventually catch up.  So, if a pocket sized blue roan cocker with one eye dashes up to you and your dog, please don't be alarmed, it's just Ozzy wanting to play!!!  ph34r ph34r

Aww, ozzy you are so like Riley, you two would get on famously  :005: :luv:

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 05:19:53 PM »
It is a bit of a pain for the owner of the dog getting pestered but it's part and parcel of having dogs!  :blink:

Offline Lovely

Rant about other people's dogs
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 05:52:56 PM »
I think the problem as in this case is when the owner of the friendly dog doesn't pick up on the other dog's discomfort and remove their dog. Also i'm not sure if the lab described was being friendly and boisterous or domineering by pushing and standing over the other dog. All i want from other dog walkers is to take some interest in and responsibility for their dog's behaviour. As the owner of Spud i know not all dogs have perfect recall but at least i try and get him back asap and exercise him on a trailing longline.
Ali

Offline Pip C

• Zac
Re: Rant about other people's dogs
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 06:07:34 PM »
I think the problem as in this case is when the owner of the friendly dog doesn't pick up on the other dog's discomfort and remove their dog. Also i'm not sure if the lab described was being friendly and boisterous or domineering by pushing and standing over the other dog. All i want from other dog walkers is to take some interest in and responsibility for their dog's behaviour. As the owner of Spud i know not all dogs have perfect recall but at least i try and get him back asap and exercise him on a trailing longline.
The lab was being domineering and standing over zac otherwise I wouldn't have concerned. >:D

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 06:40:15 PM »
Just spotted this on Facebook, not had a proper read but thought I'd post:

http://dogsinneedofspace.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/safe_dog_walks_dinos.pdf

x In memory of Barney x

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 06:47:04 PM »

I tried to put him in my pocket and take him home  :005:

Offline black taz

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 06:57:07 PM »
I had a springer yesterday, wasnt interested in the dogs but was desperately trying to mug me of treats (which i had clippped to my bag).  In the end I had to put the treat bag in my handbag, whilst the dog was still snapping at it.  I kept turning my back on the dogs but it kept pestering - never did see the owner  >:D >:D >:D

Offline penguins87

• My Girls- Beau,Lottie and Dora
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 07:29:29 PM »
Ok I have a problem with my Dora who after several experiences like the one zac experieneced and others is now very cautious of all other dogs .

We are currently under a behaviourist but that's another story .. For zac he needs to know You will step in to look after him and not that he needs to do it himself. I know this is difficulties we found it so too . If a dog comes in at speed I have to put myself between the incoming dog and Dora and if it is relentless and she gets really distressed I will push the other dog with my leg but always my body between the other dog and her.

Be aware and if you need to to take a slightly different route to avoid this dog . It's just not worth it if zac is that stressed the other option is to calmly but firmly explain to the lady it's not on and if she has head phones in I am  sure she understands hand gestures ! Don't be afraid to say something you have a right to be zacs voice .
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his
life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the
last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such
devotion."
--Unknown

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2013, 07:50:36 PM »
Indeed very upsetting and annoying. I think in this situation it is all about ignoring the other dog and to carry on with your walk to the best of your ability. I do suggest though not to show fear or anger as your baby picks up on this and will react accordingly. Also not a good idea to pick Zac up as that can also lead to showing fear and also will encourage the other dog to maybe jump up at you. I totally understand though and would want to do everything in my power to protect my baby but sometimes you have to let them get on with it. Of course a different matter if the other dog is attacking then that is really when you need a stick which I have to say is always a good thing to have with you anyway. Be brave and try and act as if everything is normal :)

Great advice  ;)

As a dog owner,unless you live in extreme remote parts of the country you will encounter these types of situations on a daily,weekly,monthly basis and as we don't "speak" dog,it's usually best to let them sort it out. (unless there is real aggression happening).
I think i would have kept walking and told the other dog "go away" but not politely  :lol2:
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.