Author Topic: Constant Ear Mites - How on earth can we get rid of them - please help  (Read 2689 times)

Offline Looe

Hi

Please please can someone help, my little cocker Maisie seems to suffer from ear mites all the time.  We have tried everything - ear washes, drops, wipes, her flee treatment is supposed to get rid of them but doesnt! I keep the hair on her ears short to help, but I am at a loss as to how to get rid of them.  I hate seeing her suffer with them, it drives her crazy and she absolutely hates me cleaning her ears, i am very gentle with her of course and she is the sweetest girl just sits there patiently screwing her little face up.

I am desperate for some advice, I feel that the vets are just making money out of us now without actually giving us a sensible solution to help her continued suffering :(

Thanks for listening guys, I hope you can help ...
Thanks
:)

Outside of a dog a book is a mans best friend, inside of a dog its too dark to read ....

Offline Ebbysmum

• Donator
  • Lexi 5, Ebony 4, Maddie 1 and Gracie 2
Thornits powder. Just a tiny pinch at the top of the ear rub in in. Think you use it for 5 days and then once a week to keep it at bay. It's been really good for our girls, doesn't hurt at all. Smells a bit like TCP though. Hope her ears are better soon poor little love  :luv: :luv:

P.s Got mine from Amazon and it lasts ages!
www.saltdogstudios.co.uk  www.facebook.com/saltdogstudios
Handmade Dog Collars, Leads and Accessories

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Yep, try some Thornit - it is fab stuff  :D

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=5851.0

I get it from Amazon too  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Chillis

Love thornit powder!!!

Offline coopersmum

Poor girl! What flea treatment are you using? Revolution is meant to control ear mites, not sure about the others. There used to be an old drug that was used quite extensively that controlled ear mites but I am not sure if it has been withdrawn from the market. It was called Lindane and a few drops in the ears was enough to get rid of any mites. Think its been withdrawn though because its safety was questionable, although I never had any problems with it on the odd occasion I had to use it.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
I agree if the mites can be identified specific treatments are available. Also if using thornits you should also put the thornits on the dogs paws to help reduce re infection. It is safe and will not harm the dog if they lick their feet.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Looe

Thank you so much for all your help and advice, I am going to order some Thornits powder straight away it sounds like a life saver - I'm actually excited! and sooo relived that poor Maisie wont have to suffer anymore.

Thanks again I really appreciate it and know where to come if I need help with anything, what a fab place!

Lou xx
Outside of a dog a book is a mans best friend, inside of a dog its too dark to read ....

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
Are you using advocate for it?

I would agree with the others and try thornits, as mentioned you should put it on the dogs back paws so they don't reinfect when scratching their ears.

Millie

Offline Evadee

We had them with Tia a few months ago.

We were advised to apply Advocate strictly every 5 weeks, but most importantly to use the ear cleaner from the vets (CleanAural) daily to loosen the wax and bring the mites further up the ear canal. 

Tia had very waxy ears but they are much cleaner now and itch and mite free  :banana:

Advocate is very effective but the mites are in the ear canal so it's essential to use ear cleaner (we did it each night before crating her) and massage the ears (you can hear it squelching away  :005:) to clean them out and bring the mites to the surface of the ear where the Advocate will do it's work  ;)

I have Thornits which I mean to use on a regular basis but find it a nightmare to use with our cockers  ph34r

Offline Looe

Hi guys

Thanks so much for all your advice, Maisie is on Advocate and has prescribed ear drops and epi otic but keeps getting the mites, i have the thornits powder - am i being really thick? its more like tiny granules than powder how does it stay on the skin? also can anyone please explain where exactly on the ear it needs to go - I just want to make sure I am putting it in the right place . If you lift up the flap of the ear do you just rub it round the outside of her inner ear ie. the bit you can see without actually putting it down inside her ear? twice a day? Please take pity on a poor stupid person and help me out.
Thanks

Offline phoenix

• Donator
Re: Constant Ear Mites - How on earth can we get rid of them - please help
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 08:03:10 AM »
Poor girl! What flea treatment are you using? Revolution is meant to control ear mites, not sure about the others. There used to be an old drug that was used quite extensively that controlled ear mites but I am not sure if it has been withdrawn from the market. It was called Lindane and a few drops in the ears was enough to get rid of any mites. Think its been withdrawn though because its safety was questionable, although I never had any problems with it on the odd occasion I had to use it.
LINDANE. It's nasty stuff, I used it on my chickens a few years ago, with a mask on until it was banned. Quite a number of farmers have had severe illness from it.
This is what I read:
Lindane is used as an insecticide on fruit and vegetable crops.  Exposure to lindane may occur from eating contaminated food or by breathing air contaminated during formulation or use.  Lindane is quite toxic to humans.  The acute (short-term) effects of lindane through inhalation exposure in humans consist of irritation of the nose and throat and effects on the blood.  Chronic (long-term) exposure to lindane by inhalation in humans has been associated with effects on the liver, blood, and nervous, cardiovascular, and immune systems.  Animal studies indicate that lindane causes reproductive effects, while developmental effects have not been noted.  Oral animal studies have shown lindane to be a liver carcinogen.  EPA has classified lindane as a Group B2/C, possible human carcinogen.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 08:37:15 AM »
I put Thornits on a flat plate or small dish, I use a small soft paint brush, load your brush with Thornits a apply to the outer ear (all around the inside flap ) don't put it down the ear canal. Put the left over powder back into the bottle. Ollie doesn't have any ear problems, I clean his ears every couple of weeks and apply Thornits.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 08:51:08 AM »
I put Thornits on a flat plate or small dish, I use a small soft paint brush, load your brush with Thornits a apply to the outer ear (all around the inside flap ) don't put it down the ear canal. Put the left over powder back into the bottle. Ollie doesn't have any ear problems, I clean his ears every couple of weeks and apply Thornits.

I do this too..... :luv:

Thornits is great.  Never be without it. X
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 08:52:54 AM »
Hi guys

Thanks so much for all your advice, Maisie is on Advocate and has prescribed ear drops and epi otic but keeps getting the mites, i have the thornits powder - am i being really thick? its more like tiny granules than powder how does it stay on the skin? also can anyone please explain where exactly on the ear it needs to go - I just want to make sure I am putting it in the right place . If you lift up the flap of the ear do you just rub it round the outside of her inner ear ie. the bit you can see without actually putting it down inside her ear? twice a day? Please take pity on a poor stupid person and help me out.
Thanks

You are anything but a poor stupid person.  You are just ensuring you get things right.  This is such a great place for doing that.  Good luck with sorting little Maisie. Xx
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie