Author Topic: Paying for an ex-breeder  (Read 2643 times)

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
Re: Paying for an ex-breeder
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 09:22:24 PM »
My "retired" girls go to good homes free of charge. I do vet the homes to make sure they are spoilt rotten.
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline Lucianne

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 10:37:05 PM »
Toni I think £900 is a bit of a cheek, frankly. They do look beautiful though!

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 10:52:21 PM »
Toni I think £900 is a bit of a cheek, frankly. They do look beautiful though!

;) don't they just  :luv:
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline praia

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 10:53:09 PM »
The breeder of my show girl spays and sells ex-breeding bitches for only a couple hundred dollars less than puppies.  I think the price is fair as you're getting a championship titled dog with an excellent pedigree, fully health tested, and fully trained.  The bitches are bred maybe two or three times then retired to pet homes.

It may seem strange to some that breeders would invest so much time and effort into these dog for the conformation ring and for breeding then sell them after they've produced a few litters, but that's how kennels develop their lines and maintain the number of dogs in their possession.

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2013, 11:51:00 PM »
I think some do charge just to discourage people from getting a dog without putting enough thought in. If people have to pay, they are less likely to act on impulse and get a dog without thinking it through.

I'd disagree with that.  If a breeder was really interested in getting the best home possible, she'd be interviewing and homechecking and doing a bit of legwork, not simply trying to make even more money from the dog, and she may be preventing herself finding a good home by disqualifying one that couldn't pay out a large lump sum.

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 06:05:49 AM »
I think some do charge just to discourage people from getting a dog without putting enough thought in. If people have to pay, they are less likely to act on impulse and get a dog without thinking it through.

I'd disagree with that.  If a breeder was really interested in getting the best home possible, she'd be interviewing and homechecking and doing a bit of legwork, not simply trying to make even more money from the dog, and she may be preventing herself finding a good home by disqualifying one that couldn't pay out a large lump sum.

I understand where you're coming from but I wouldn't buy any dog or puppy from a breeder who was in it to make money anyway.  Pippa and Barney came from kennels who only breed when they want a puppy themselves to show and I doubt very much they make any profit from their dogs once health tests, vet checks, vaccinations, microchips, worming, food, stud fees etc are taken into account plus lost working days.  Pippa's breeder last litter produced just one dog by Caesarian  :fear2:

I think homechecking is a bit much to expect but certainly a breeder that didn't interview me thoroughly would ring alarm bells and, again, I wouldn't be buying the dog. 
If someone can't afford to pay for the dog in the first place, I would be wondering how they would cope with the ongoing costs of insurance, food, equipment etc.  If they had put thought into getting a dog, they should have had time to save up the purchase price.

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 07:00:39 AM »
I suppose it depends on why she is asking money for them  :-\. If it is to put off people getting dogs on a whim then maybe with good references and a home check then she may let them go for less? I know I would in that situation, especially as she is asking for the two to go together.

Millie

Offline Snoopy

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 07:23:04 AM »
It does say they are "prepared tp take a sensible offer if the home is special enough".

It looks to me the home is more important than the price.

Give them a call...you never know they might sell them separately if the home is "special enough"