Author Topic: is a show type cocker good for a novice dog owner??  (Read 4813 times)

Offline Lovely

Is a show type cocker good breed for a novice owner?
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2013, 08:09:20 PM »
Having previously owned working springers, i knew as a single mum with a young child, my circumstances meant that it was sensible to go for a show type. I would not recommend a working strain of any breed to anyone who is unable to put in alot of time and dedication. Beyond that, i think that all breeds have good and bad points. Regardless of the breed, any puppy requires someone at home most of the time, as well as mental stimulation and consistency. Unfortunately, these days many households are just not set up for puppies. People travel more, holiday more, have leisure activities, eat out, space is at a premium etc etc. Of course all these obstacles can be overcome, but only if the puppy is seen as the priority. Sacrifices do have to be made, and everyone in the household has to be prepared for that.
Ali

Offline Clare B

Re: Is a show type cocker good breed for a novice owner?
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2013, 09:43:54 PM »
Beyond that, i think that all breeds have good and bad points. Regardless of the breed, any puppy requires someone at home most of the time, as well as mental stimulation and consistency. Unfortunately, these days many households are just not set up for puppies. People travel more, holiday more, have leisure activities, eat out, space is at a premium etc etc. Of course all these obstacles can be overcome, but only if the puppy is seen as the priority. Sacrifices do have to be made, and everyone in the household has to be prepared for that.

That is so true!
New owners need to be aware of the changes that need to be made to accommodate a puppy.
Having said that many who don't know and then take on a pup automatically make adjustments because of a natural sense of responsibility and love for the pup.....but there are those who don't and therefore all new owners need to be filled in on the needs that have to be met to have a happy, healthy addition to the household. 

I have been on a long "ramble" all day through the local fields and woods with my children's schools yearly walkathon (it was beautiful, weather was great and so was the scenery).
Loads of parents came and also brought their dogs. 
My friend who is interested in getting a dog (the one i initially posted this topic about) was there and was asking all dog owners about what to expect, what to research, and traits of each breed (although I have to say the dogs on the school walk were heavily weighted with spaniels...ummmm70% of the dogs I would guess....Flo had a wonderful time!). 

Anyway my friend observing and enquiring all day, and was on-lead walking a few of the dogs periodically along the way .....being pulled like a train with a few! (most dogs were on lead for the majority of the walk as we were near livestock and there were a lot of us)
So she had a great opportunity to be more informed....as lots of the dog owners were quite happy to chat about the pro's and cons  :005:

Offline PennyB

Re: is a show type cocker good for a novice dog owner??
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2013, 11:43:36 PM »
it can also sometimes depend on the individual dog whatever the breed as well - I have seen some really easy pups and some other nightmare pups - if I'm fostering will try to point new owners in direction of the easier pups
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2013, 08:29:35 AM »
I've noticed a huge difference in people who grew up with dogs from childhood (me) and those who didn't (OH and family). They really didn't have a clue, even with the soppiest  Labradors. Gates open, biscuits on coffee tables, no training, no routine and so on. But mostly, no instinctive empathy.  But people can learn, and must be open to adjusting in a big way. A show cocker? The grooming /grooming costs are a shock, the personality of the puppy is vital,  I'm sure a novice would have sent mine back to the breeder after a month. A clever dog is a difficult one, and most cockers are little schemers.
I wonder if your friends may find a springer easier. Very lively , but more even temperament, and less thick coat. I have a springer as well as a show cocker, and agree wholehearted with a quote from someone on Col:

"You tell a springer to do something, but you have to ask a cocker to do it!!"
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2013, 08:52:30 AM »
"You tell a springer to do something, but you have to ask, beg, plead, bribe a cocker to do it!!"

Fixed for you  :D
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2013, 09:05:51 AM »
Excellent!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »
"You tell a springer to do something, but you have to ask, beg, plead, bribe a cocker to do it!!"

Yes - that is so true  :005:

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2013, 11:16:27 AM »
it can also sometimes depend on the individual dog whatever the breed as well - I have seen some really easy pups and some other nightmare pups - if I'm fostering will try to point new owners in direction of the easier pups

so true - Indie my first cocker and Misha were great pups - Roly was a real eye opener and I always think if he'd been my first dog I would have probably stuck at one  :lol2:
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Carolynleah

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2013, 11:17:42 AM »
I love that quote ~ my son, not new to dogs but new to gundogs, bought Nerys to train to go beating with him.  Nerys now lives on my sofa, and Greg has apringers  :005:  They behave so well for him, but he admits he just didn't have the patience for a cocker!

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2013, 11:36:26 AM »
Yes - my bitch Emily is and always has been a hassle-free dog.  Ollie (her nephew, so closely related) is and has always been a 'difficult' dog (and I doubt would have lasted long in a household not used to or prepared for his type of OTT behaviour/ personality).  That being said, he is my soul dog  :luv:, I absolutely adore him. 
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Debsdogs

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2013, 12:12:41 PM »

I like to look at it a little like having children, no matter what your plans for their future there is only so much you can do to achieve those goals and you have to adapt as the months and years go by..........

All my children ( I believe you call them hoomans here on col)  :005: have been different , in the same way I'm now finding my cockers are and the accepted behaviour from my children would be different to others children as is with my dogs e.g. I can live with a dog who chews my skirting boards  >:D because he is great with the children to someone who maybe has no children and an immaculate house that wouldn't be the case.........

What I'm trying to say is child or dog we all have different ideals but have to accept there is no blue print so expect the unexpected, do all the research possible then learn to live together  :D

Offline PennyB

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2013, 01:04:31 PM »
there's always the other saying 'give a cocker an inch and they will take miles' + you really do need a good sense of humour with them

another reason that cockers aren't for everyone is that they really do love human company - more so than many other breeds - and I've heard said that not everyone likes this aspect the whole time plus not everyone enjoys have their handbags burgled for tissues - this may sound petty but I have come across some who really don't like any of these aspects (but then I wouldn't like the obessiveness of say the collies when I see them out and about with their owners)
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2013, 01:22:22 PM »
there's always the other saying 'give a cocker an inch and they will take miles' + you really do need a good sense of humour with them

another reason that cockers aren't for everyone is that they really do love human company - more so than many other breeds - and I've heard said that not everyone likes this aspect the whole time plus not everyone enjoys have their handbags burgled for tissues - this may sound petty but I have come across some who really don't like any of these aspects (but then I wouldn't like the obessiveness of say the collies when I see them out and about with their owners)

Same here Penny  ;) I guess its all about matching up personality and lifestyle  :D I love cockers, they are very "in tune with their hoomans" type of dog  but I can see that  they aren't for everyone  ;)

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2013, 01:26:40 PM »
For me, I love the hands on of a cocker, I love he's always there, I love his little traits, I love the time it takes to groom him and smootch him. I do get annoyed when his head is in the cupboard and I can't get in for anything, but it's just him, helpful and always there - but if he wasn't constantly there or in the way I'd miss him :)  :luv:

It's totally a personality thing...also time as well if you have a longer haired dog (in general)
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline PennyB

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2013, 01:52:52 PM »
For me, I love the hands on of a cocker, I love he's always there, I love his little traits, I love the time it takes to groom him and smootch him. I do get annoyed when his head is in the cupboard and I can't get in for anything, but it's just him, helpful and always there - but if he wasn't constantly there or in the way I'd miss him :)  :luv:

LOL you should try having 3 heads in the cupboard (or in your shopping bag when you're trying to put stuff away and count up what's missing as lets face it if it goes its gone in a flash LOL)
Friends of Hailey Park