Author Topic: is a show type cocker good for a novice dog owner??  (Read 4811 times)

Offline Chillis

Re: is a show type cocker good for a novice dog owner??
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2013, 01:55:41 PM »
"You tell a springer to do something, but you have to ask, beg, plead, bribe a cocker to do it!!"

Fixed for you  :D

Love this  :005:

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2013, 02:19:44 PM »
For me, I love the hands on of a cocker, I love he's always there, I love his little traits, I love the time it takes to groom him and smootch him. I do get annoyed when his head is in the cupboard and I can't get in for anything, but it's just him, helpful and always there - but if he wasn't constantly there or in the way I'd miss him :)  :luv:

LOL you should try having 3 heads in the cupboard (or in your shopping bag when you're trying to put stuff away and count up what's missing as lets face it if it goes its gone in a flash LOL)

But you can tell by the sound of the running if there is something that's been stolen :)
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2013, 02:52:27 PM »
But you can tell by the sound of the running if there is something that's been stolen :)

Not if they're on carpet or in "Stealth" mode you can't  :005:. You just get very suspicious when they disappear all of a sudden  ;).

Bob.

Offline Sherlock

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2013, 04:09:45 PM »
I think it completely depends on what type of owner they are!

Sherlock is my partner's and my first dog. He's a working cocker, and with 49 FtChs in his family tree - so I guess definitely not recommended as a first time owner's dog! But we've fitted our lives around him and it's working out fine - for us I think any dog would have been ok, as long as there weren't serious issues such as aggression, which really do need an experienced person to deal with.

Personally, I think a show type cocker would be find for a novice owner.  The one's I've met have all been a hell of a lot less lively than Sherlock, and usually good natured, loving dogs.

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2013, 04:32:11 PM »
New Cocker Owners should have to have a sense of humor test, anything below a 98% pass result and they have to get another breed
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2013, 04:38:39 PM »
New Cocker Owners should have to have a sense of humor test, anything below a 98% pass result and they have to get another breed
:005:

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2013, 05:00:30 PM »
We were first time dog owners back in 2006.  I used to walk my uncles dog as a child and the stables dog used to come out hacking with me but I had never had responsibility for a dog of my own, husband didn't do pets at all and the children (over 10) maintained they were frightened of them.  My Godmother had a cocker who I remember used to hump your legs every visit but was basically a nice dog so when I was looking and came across Jasper looking for a home, he felt like the right dog for us.  (I did do quite a bit of research before that).  We wanted an active dog rather than a toy but not a big dog.

Most of ours (and we now have 5) are show types and mostly easy going albeit velcro fitted.  They can be opinionated and 2 of them quite vocal.  The one is 1/4 worker and I love his intelligence and joy of life when he's out and hes a gem in the house.  However they are all very active and do love to get down and dirty which is not for everyone.  Each one is different and Charlie was horrible as a puppy, I definately wouldn't of had another had he been the first but Ellie, another black, has been an angel.

I like Collies to look at but I couldn't cope with their obsessions.  My first love is definately Gundogs for their zest for life.  But I can also see why they end up in rescue as there is work involved and like any intelligent creature, if not channeled properly, there is trouble ahead.  I think they need to be very honest with themselves about what they want and whether they are prepared to be one of the in-crowd walking everyday regardless of what the weather throws at them as a starter.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2013, 06:04:40 PM »
I think people need to be aware of how much hard work goes with a puppy of any breed, bit like children.

I have four cockers  here and all would have been suitable for first time owners who had taken the time to find out about the breed.
They have all been very loving, 3/4 very easy to train, one is very intelligent and as biddable as any lab I know :)
Sarah Dyllan Tyke and Lance

www.brimbeck.co.uk

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2013, 06:28:40 PM »
Our first dog was a show-type cocker, and my mum had only ever had cats, but the dog was absolutely fine. Any puppy can be hard work, but none of our cockers have been that bad.

In Henry's training classes there were dogs of many other breeds (cavapoo, cockerpoo, spoodle, labradoodle, westie, pug, dachshund, boston terrier, french bulldog, lab, retriever, collie, a Finnish lapphund, and working cockers). From my personal experience I would say that my show-type cocker was more chilled than most of the other dogs, and seemed to be the easiest to train (or maybe it was just that I had more time, no kids or job for distraction). In the park he seems to have an even temperament and never snaps at other dogs (which some terriers do, for example).

We haven't had a difficult cocker (although they all have their own little stubbornnesses and funny little traits), and I would never even consider a different breed (!) but I would say that their coats can be hard work, unless you just want to get them shorn.

I would definitely recommend the show-type to someone who is committed to looking after a dog properly (and if they're not, then no dog is suitable!). I wouldn't want to have a dog which had some innate working trait like some terriers or sheepdogs do (or even working cockers, actually), for example. Show-type cockers seem almost human to me, so chilled and loving!

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2013, 08:07:11 PM »
My 100% show type is hard wired for grouse, pheasants, squirrels, mice , er sheep,  and is to be found in any bramble patch or gorse bush checking for rabbits! Rolling in badger and fox poo is compulsory. He isn't as fast or active as a worker,being small and chunky. The working instinct is not bred out of all show types!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline panda66

• Donator
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2013, 08:44:21 PM »
Working cockers are VERY hard work but worth it  :luv: I can see why so many end up in rescue and I dont think they are for a first time owner unless you have lots and lots of time and know exactly what you are letting yourself infor.  Madder, just, than a working springer and very clever and demanding of quality time and cuddles  :005:

Offline PennyB

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2013, 09:07:39 PM »

Not if they're on carpet or in "Stealth" mode you can't  :005:. You just get very suspicious when they disappear all of a sudden  ;).

Bob.

Or if its gobbled in situ LOL
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline ali2010

« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2013, 09:36:52 PM »

Bob.

:005: you are right there, if a cocker disappears you know they are up to something

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2013, 12:52:05 PM »
Or in the greenhouse studiously looking for the old bag of fish blood and bone fertiliser!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.