Author Topic: Thinking of changing food  (Read 2803 times)

Offline ali2010

Thinking of changing food
« on: August 18, 2013, 10:40:10 PM »
Albert has been on chappie for just over a year as he has a very sensitive tummy and is prone to diarrhea. The problem is that he has recently started to get diarrhea on and off again and also has problems with dry itchy skin. I know that chappie changed its formula a while ago so wonder if its anything to do with that. We had also been giving him sardines a couple of times a week and that did help his skin, but the last few times we have given him sardines he has had diarrhea.  He has also been to the vets several times in the last few months and blood tests have shown he has raised liver enzymes, from what I understand he should be on a food with a low copper content to help his liver

I would like to change to a better quality food which may help with his sensitive tummy and skin but not sure if I dare.  I know lots of you feed raw but again not sure if I dare try him on raw.  Can anyone advise me?

Offline panda66

• Donator
Re: Thinking of changing food
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 10:44:39 PM »
Sorry don't know enough to help but hope you sort him out soon  :D

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 08:32:00 AM »
I'm a raw feeder so obviously I'm going to suggest it :blink: especially as it's done wonders for William's skin and digestion.

I use Natural Instinct for some of their food and sometimes Nutriment too. Both are "complete" raw foods as they're minces including some bone plus added veggies, herbs, fish oil etc.

Have a look at this food http://www.nutriment.co/low-purine-phosphorus-formula/ which is designed to be fed to dogs with liver or kidney problems. They're very helpful at Nutriment so I'd suggest you phone them and have a chat to see if they think this particular food or any of their others will be suitable for Albert. I think they will do a 5kg starter pack if asked, so it might be worth a try.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 08:39:18 AM »
Sometimes I think folk may think I'm a salesman for Applaws, but I assure you I'm not.

I feed all my three on Applaws and they are in great condition and we even feed it to the many dogs who visit us and it never seems to upset them.

I moved onto this as it does not contain any grains, which a Professor told me were helping to feed the cancer, when our sadly departed Springer, Danny, had lymphoma. It is 25% veg and 75% meat, slightly softer than some kibbles. It is normally £55 for a 12.5kg bag, but is only around £32 at Monsterpet Supplies

Offline ali2010

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 11:16:24 AM »
Have looked at Nutriment and Applaws, both look really good.

I am tempted to try the nutriment and will give them a call later.  I am just a bit worried about feeding raw to Albert as he seems to have such a sensitive constitution!  Having said that everything I have read about raw food is really positive. 

Elaine regarding feeding raw, could we just give Nutriment?  I really like the sound of that as its specifically for dogs with liver problems.  What about training treats, would you just give normal treats (Albert has milky bones at the moment) or something raw?

Thanks, Alison

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 11:21:12 AM »

I am tempted to try the nutriment and will give them a call later. I am just a bit worried about feeding raw to Albert as he seems to have such a sensitive constitution!  Having said that everything I have read about raw food is really positive.  

Harry has a very sensitive tummy, but I do feed him raw tripe as one of his meals a day & this doesn't upset his tummy (chicken wings however do)

His other meal is Barking Heads kibble
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 11:50:07 AM »
Of course I am going to recommend eden as Riley is thriving on it.
80% Protein, as in meat /fish , and 20% fruit and vet, herbs, vitamins,
No fillers, no cereals maize or beet pulp or anything nasty.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 12:16:53 PM »

I am tempted to try the nutriment and will give them a call later.  I am just a bit worried about feeding raw to Albert as he seems to have such a sensitive constitution!  Having said that everything I have read about raw food is really positive. 

Elaine regarding feeding raw, could we just give Nutriment?  I really like the sound of that as its specifically for dogs with liver problems.  What about training treats, would you just give normal treats (Albert has milky bones at the moment) or something raw?

Thanks, Alison

Nutriment is complete so you could feed that and nothing else for his meals.

William's sensitive digestion was the main reason I made the switch to raw and it's worked really well for him. One of the benefits for him is that I don't have to worry nowadays if he has treats with grain in them, or even something like a toast crust, as his digestive system copes with them since being raw fed. So I'm guessing that if Albert takes to Nutriment he'd still be fine with his milky bones.

Offline ali2010

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 02:48:08 PM »
Have spoken to the vets who advise against raw.  Much as I think it looks a good option I will take the vets advice.  The recommended Applaws and Burns so am doing a bit more research into those

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 02:58:42 PM »
We had loads of problems with Bobby as he had giardia as a pup. I have found the best food for him is CSJ either Fit'n'fast or their Complete Tripe. I know it's higher cereal content than some others but it suits him. I have very recently tried my two on Applaws. Roxy loves the taste but it did make her poohs sloppier. It also had an adverse effect on Bobby's poohs. I have ordered some more however as they do like the flavour and one of the reasons for trying it was that I think they were getting bored with the same old food. I have been mixing it in with the CSJ.

The people at CSJ are very helpful if you email them and they will send out free samples. Their food is significantly cheaper than many others - I pay around £50 for 2 x 15 kg bags. Incidentally is Albert on wet or dry Chappie? I give Bobby wet Chappie sometimes and he's fine on that. I believe it's very different from the dry food.

Good luck.
Roxy b.19.05.10  Bobby b.21.08.11
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am.

Offline ali2010

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 02:33:28 PM »
I went to our local pet shop yesterday, the lady there is very knowledgeable and foods and we looked at lots of options but unfortunatley many of them have too high a copper content, Applaws and Edens have too high protein levels.  We are trying him on Nature Diet sensitive.  He had it for his dinner last night and breakfast this morning and so far so good.  I know we are really supposed to wean him onto the new food but, given that his old food was giving him diarrhea, we have just stopped it

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 02:42:53 PM »
I went to our local pet shop yesterday, the lady there is very knowledgeable and foods and we looked at lots of options but unfortunatley many of them have too high a copper content, Applaws and Edens have too high protein levels.  We are trying him on Nature Diet sensitive.  He had it for his dinner last night and breakfast this morning and so far so good.  I know we are really supposed to wean him onto the new food but, given that his old food was giving him diarrhea, we have just stopped it

Aww such a shame, is it with his liver levels that he cant have high protein?

Offline ali2010

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 03:02:19 PM »
The lady at the pet shop said if he has too much protein then he may continue to have diarrhea but the vet also came back to me to say the Applaws is too  high in protein.  To be honest I've looked at hundred of foods now and am getting very confused  :huh:

Has anyone heard of Canagans?  Their food is grain free and doesn't have such high protein levels as Applaws and Eden

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 03:10:42 PM »
The lady at the pet shop said if he has too much protein then he may continue to have diarrhea but the vet also came back to me to say the Applaws is too  high in protein.  To be honest I've looked at hundred of foods now and am getting very confused  :huh:

Has anyone heard of Canagans?  Their food is grain free and doesn't have such high protein levels as Applaws and Eden

It looks a good food, still quite high in protein, not as high as eden and applaws as you have said,
it gets great reviews on whichdogfood/

Offline ali2010

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 09:40:21 PM »
Have to say Albert loves his new Nature diet. Unbelievably he had no eye gunk this morning, we've had to wipe gunk from his eyes everyday for over a year. I am thinking of keeping him on NatureDiet but can anyone tell me if I could feed him half Nature diet and half kibble? I am thinking this may be better for his teeth and we quite often go to country pubs with Albert for a meal, we take his kibble with us to keep him good by feeding him his dinner bit by bit (sorry am whittering on a bit now!)