Author Topic: when to feed 12 week old puppy  (Read 845 times)

Offline dantheman

when to feed 12 week old puppy
« on: September 30, 2013, 01:55:41 PM »
Hi got Woody on Orijen now but I was wondering at what age does he go from 3 feeds a day (8am, 1pm, 8pm, with 120g split into 3 x 40) to just 2 a day 8am and 8pm?
Many thanks

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
Re: when to feed 12 week old puppy
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 02:01:46 PM »
By about 6 months Riley was on two feeds per day.
Back then it was about 8am and 6pm.
Now at 19 months its 7am, 5pm.

Offline 7733lily

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 02:02:42 PM »
Yep, about 6 months here too  ;)

Offline dantheman

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 03:30:23 PM »
Thanks for the replies! So can you tell me why 3 feeds if he eats all his food in the morning and at night? sorry to ask, it's my first dog, thanks!

Offline 7733lily

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 03:40:54 PM »
They go from 4 feeds down to 2 over a period of 4 months so their little tums are not overloaded in one go
By the time they are six months they are big enough to digest just two meals
The above is my interpretation anyway  :005:

Offline abzy0309

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 03:53:48 PM »
Useful post. I was recently wondering the same thing. My breeder did give me some information on what to do but also wanted to double check. Does it matter much about the times you feed? I was advise to varie it day by day.

Abbie & Reggie

Offline 7733lily

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 03:58:55 PM »
I tended to make the times fairly equal so the food had time to digest
Once they are on 3 or 2 meals a day you could vary it slightly I suppose but just so the meals are not too close together

Offline JamiesGirl

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 10:59:36 AM »
You don't have to go down to two meals a day. Jamie's 8 years old and he's still on 3 but often it is easier for the owner to feed two meals rather than three. However not all dogs stomach's adapt to being able to eat two larger meals rather than three smaller ones - Jamie never did. Just something to consider :)
🐾 Jamie's Girl - Sara 🐾

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 11:07:59 AM »
You don't have to go down to two meals a day. Jamie's 8 years old and he's still on 3 but often it is easier for the owner to feed two meals rather than three. However not all dogs stomach's adapt to being able to eat two larger meals rather than three smaller ones - Jamie never did. Just something to consider :)

Archie too! I thought he was odd  :shades: He is fed his second meal quite early (4pm) to fit in with my evening teaching but he has never let me drop the 7pm meal. It is now tiny - about a desert spoonfull of his wainrights wet - but  there is no way on earth he will let me not give it to him.

Offline abzy0309

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 07:40:01 PM »
I tended to make the times fairly equal so the food had time to digest
Once they are on 3 or 2 meals a day you could vary it slightly I suppose but just so the meals are not too close together

Reggie is on 3 meals a day... I don't do the times of feed exactly the same time due to our lifestyles, every day is not the same for us. Obviously I space them out enough.

Abbie & Reggie

Offline janek

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 11:01:23 AM »
My 7 year old is on 3 meals a day ,and always has been i started to feed twice at about 6/7month but found he sicked up bile in the morning about 6am ish so decided to put him back on to 3 meals to see if it helped thought he may be going to long without eating and it worked fine mealtimes vary depending on what im doing but are usually around 7 to 8 am 2 to 3 pm and 7 to 8 pm this works well with my 5 mth old pup a treat about 5 pm and then after doing a wee before bed a biscuit
I suppose its what works best for the individual if im at work my husband feeds them
Janek