Author Topic: Oh Dear - Things Have Not Worked  (Read 868 times)

Offline wendy

• Site Member
    • http://www.luthame.net
Oh Dear - Things Have Not Worked
« on: May 31, 2005, 08:08:02 AM »
Hi Everyone

:( Things have not quite worked out how I would have liked them too with Finely and Harvey.  I looked after Harvey a few months ago and Fin and harvey got on OK after some initial fighting - well this time it's very very different.  They have not got on at all, he arrived on Sunday and they fought all day and it was very very aggressive with Harvey instigating most of it, he seems to be a very dominant dog, in fact he had only been in the house 5 mins when he peed on the carpet, suppose I should have too that as a sign things might not worked out.  Also the owners admitted to me that they have problems with him and he is the worst behaved at obedience!!!!.  Took the rather hard decision that perphas he needed to stay with one of the owners other relatives - so he has gone to them.  I am very sad about this :(  as I was looking forward to having Harvey but I think two 11 month old male pups from the same litter just does not work, especially as I think Fin and Harvey are now starting adolescence.  Harvey constantly challenged Fin in fact at one point I nearly got bitten with trying to split them up.

it's left me a bit jittery.

Wendy and Finley
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Dogs leave paw prints on your heart

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 08:28:31 AM »
Don't beat yourself up about this Wendy. As you have identified, you have two 11 months old boys. Two "Kevins"  :o . They could have easily got on together - although I think to be fair the chances of it not going so great were probably higher :( .

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and there were things you maybe could have tried to ease the situation before bringing Harvey to your home for this visit, but even that would not guarantee they would get on.

I think Harvey's behaviour is fairly typical for a pup in his situation. He will have felt very threatened and responded the only way he knows how. :unsure:

I'm sure all will be happier now he's somwhere else. ;)

The worse thing you could have done would have been to try and force them to stay together, especially as this was only ever a temporary thing anyway.

btw - imho I think the fact they are brothers is irrelevant. It's the age and gender thing that's the bigger cause of this.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 10:44:55 AM »
Don't beat yourself up about this Wendy. ... btw - imho I think the fact they are brothers is irrelevant. It's the age and gender thing that's the bigger cause of this.
[snapback]129647[/snapback]

I agree, I know Wilf is the same with any males of a similar age whatever the breed (even though he's been neutered). We have a close dog walking community and all the male pups who got on so well with each other all fell out with each other big time when they hit adolescence. It would all start out well each time they met but the playfighting would escalate and you'd have to split them up as it got more and more aggressive and frightening (and occasionally blood was spilt).

Just think lager louts (and how they behave)!

You haven't failed (at least you've realised quickly that it wouldn't work which is so much better for everyone)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline flora

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 06:20:48 PM »
so sorry to hear of your dilema but what you have done is for the best would this happen with two bitches or is it just males that have this problem

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 06:34:59 PM »
btw - imho I think the fact they are brothers is irrelevant. It's the age and gender thing that's the bigger cause of this.
[snapback]129647[/snapback]

Oh dear Wendy - hope you have recovered from the shakes, now

I agree with Pammy - I was amazed when Molo met Alfie and Alfie at the Surrey meet - they all had a bit of a snap and snarl at each other  - probably cos they are all about 12 months old and entire  :rolleyes:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 06:48:07 PM »
so sorry to hear of your dilema but what you have done is for the best would this happen with two bitches or is it just males that have this problem
[snapback]129724[/snapback]

could just as likely happen with two girls :blink:  but less likely with a boy and girl.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline wendy

• Site Member
    • http://www.luthame.net
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 06:55:23 PM »
So how long does adolescence last for? in the last few days Finley has become very frightened of things like leaves/bushes and even his teddy which was on the floor, he is also very jumpy - is this typical adolescence behaviour?, he is also quite tired (just like my teenage boys used to be!!!!!!)

Wendy
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Dogs leave paw prints on your heart

Offline PennyB

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 12:08:56 AM »
So how long does adolescence last for? in the last few days Finley has become very frightened of things like leaves/bushes and even his teddy which was on the floor, he is also very jumpy - is this typical adolescence behaviour?, he is also quite tired (just like my teenage boys used to be!!!!!!)

Wendy
[snapback]129734[/snapback]

In theory till they're about 18 months to 2 years old! Adolescent behaviour can mainfest itself in a variety of ways.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!